Typhoon builders discussion thread

As I said in my earlier post, I went to the trouble of arranging for someone to buy this mag for me in the UK and send it to me in France. Why? beacause for ages RCM&E and this website has been promoting this plan and it's availability in this "special" addition. They obviously intended to supply the correctly scaled plan. However, it was a commercial/marketing decision to use the plan as a "selling point" for this issue. In fact if you look at the mag cover you might call it  a "hard cell"! The fact that I (and no doubt many others) bought the magazine as a result of the publicity means we ought to get what we paid for - the correct size plan. To be expected to buy another magazine (in the UK) and get it shipped out here to France so as to have what should have been in the "special" is not really fair. At the very least, I would have thought it would have been good for Magicalia's PR to post out plans to those who want a copy. A doubt all modellers will.

I don't think many of you would be happy to buy a package deal of a TV with a "free" DVD player and then find that the DVD player didn't work with the TV you bought. If the manufacturer  then told that if you bought another TV they would give you the correct DVD that you expected in the first place it would be very annoying. If the justification was "well the DVD was free" I doubt it wouldn't make you any happier!

Over to you RCM&E /  Magicali

Having let my disapointment get the better of me with my initial post, I am glad to read that RCM&E have responded to this issue with a very good solution that should satisfy all! So thankyou David for addressing the situation so promptly

Walts 

• 2 weeks later...
Well I'm glad that's all sorted . Well I've got my CNC kit/plans/cowl/cockpit fom those nice people at SLEC, an IC power plant (ASP70), a nice set of legs from those nice people at Unitract and an exhaust mod for the asp70 from those nice people at Just Engines so I'm all set. I'm off to build me a Typhoon . Les P.S. Have you noticed how many nice people there are in the modeling world .

• 2 weeks later...

I have a quick question for Les Adams.

I to have an ASP 70 for the Typhoon but having looked at the new plan it appears that the engine is about 10mm to long to the prop driver. Do you have any sugestions and can you advise me on where i can get a 4 inch spinner from.

PS this is my first go at building from a plan.

Cheer

Adrian

I've just been looking at the plan and comparing different 4stroke engine dims. to it...............and it would appear the plan isn't actually designed to accomodate a four stroke, as a 52' won't even fit length ways. I think it is probably designed for a 60 two stroke looking at the shown engine mount............... or of cause electric.

A four stroke could be fitted but this will require another bulk head set further back, with a clearance hole cut in F1 to pass the engine through. i used this method to fit a 52 four stroke in my Sopwith Camel, but obviously it pushes everything else back too and would require more nose weight.

I think I've just decided to make mine electric............Which should please PDR to no end

Walts 

Adrian, There should be some wing photos on the site somewhere....Dave A ,can you point in the right direction?

Walts, the cowl depth should be around 105mm which is a bit short for larger 4strokes but should accomodate a 46-60 size 2-strokes. If you want to fit a larger 4-stroke the easy way is to make a 1/2" wide by 12" thick (or to a suitable thickness) balsa ring the same shape as F1 and glue this on the perimeter of F1......this should extend the cowl to suit the engine. Another way would be to add a ring of balsa to the nose of the cowl.......this does a similar job...............or build as I did an electric version

Always leave 6mm plus for the prop  boss clear of the cowl 

tony

Tony,

I've pretty much decided to go electric on my one now.................Do you have any figures for the 4120/14 motor on 4s that you used, i.e. amps drawn on what size prop at what underload voltage. so i can get an idea of what sort of power is required from a similar set up and get a ballpark figure for expected duration w/lbs etc.

With the versatility of electric, I would like if possible to maybe try for a 3 bladed scale size prop.

Thanks,

Walts

Walts, The 4120/14 on 4s using a 13x8 APC prop was pulling around 35amp. I used the Flightpower EVE 20 3700lipo so at 35amp (9C), the pack held the voltage well under load (around 14v). Flight times were around the 8 min mark but you may have noticed I had two 3700 packs in the cowl. Only one was being used, the other acted as nose weight until needed. If you wanted to turn a larger prop, the 4120-20 or similar (softer motor) on 4s should turn a 16x10 3-blader at similar amps or just higher....but that's a guess!!!! Have a look on the Model motors web site. Tony