Parkzone Micro-Mustang

Received the latest edition to my mustang collection today, I never intended to own 3 Mustangs but I do love them and I couldn't say no at the price !

Isn't it cute  

They are on special offer at the moment from SMC, the RTF kit is cheaper than the BNF kit although I've just bound this one to my DX7 so won't need the little controller that came with the kit but I still saved myself over £10.

This answers my "plane I can pop in my bag" to take away with me question nicely, although I think I will only be able to fly this on calm days as it's so light.

She takes pride of place amongst the grown ups. Thought I'd assemble the fleet during a clean out of my model room.

I'm off to Turkey on Monday for a few weeks of tooing and froing between Turkey and Afghanistan so she's coming along with me. I'll report back on how she flys in the nice sunny calm skies.

Anyone else flying one of these at the moment, probbably indoors as the weather hasn't really been up to outdoor flying of this light weight Stang ?

Edited By James40 on 01/04/2010 18:47:08

nice one James40 - did you manage to get a test flight in with the micro mustang today then???  I must have a look on the SMC site if they are on special.  Would like to hear your thoughts on the flying characteristics when you do get this going outside...

Your Hangar 9 P-51 Blue Nose looks really cool BTW - a very nice model!

I tried putting some fixed flaps on mine, with silver card at 45 degrees to the wing underside.  Didn't really work - too much lift so the plane ballooned upwards on power.  Maybe I should have mixed down with throttle, but gave up and settled for flying *really* *fast* round a small hall

I haven't had chance today Phil, it's 8kts gusting 12kts here at Brize Norton so I would probably watch the little thing disappear over the hoizon.
I'll wait for a nice calm day to try her out.

Ron, they are so light I would imagine even a coat of paint will weigh it down too much, they are only 1.2 ounces as it is on a shaped foam section wing so the wing loading probably goes through the roof.  Is your C of G still at 35mm from the LE ?

lol, now there's a challenge

"Ladies and Gents, please ensure all electrical equipment is turned off for the duration of the flight"............ zoooooom

We've tried to have paper aeroplane competitions in the past but the air inside the cabin is quite turbulent with the huge air conditioning units working to pressurize the aircrafts fat belly.
Although once on the ground, it would  be very cool to launch off the ramp and try and get it back in again for a landing.

My battery actually has been moved. I stuck the Velcro just behind the prop. I have seen others add weight but why when doing in this works. It does make the battery bay redundant though. Why do they spend so much time on a plane only to get the cg so wrong . The sukhoi is the same.

Took the little mustang up for her first flight this morning and what a great little flyer she is, I need to increase my aileron travel, a rolling dive that wouldn't roll past inverted nearly ended in tears but a big push on the stick recovered the situation ! I really recommend these little planes but possibly more for indoor flying, it was calm when I walked out to the double football pitch flying area this morning but the wind picked up to about 4kts half an hour later. What a difference a bit of wind makes to a half ounce model, she was a handfull on the down wind turns but still easy to almost hover back onto the grass once heading into the wind, she stayed very stable and not twitchy at all with the rates I set.

Yep, great little flyer David. The guy at SMC asked me what level my flying was at when I purchased it, I thought he was joking as it's such a small model but blimey, it can shift. I fully recommend lower rates and expo on all the controlls.