Flying sites around Milton Keynes?

There's no legal requirement to have A or B tests, or indeed to be a member of the BMFA to fly in the UK.  However, membership of the BMFA gives you £10m third-party liability cover, so you'd be daft not to join (or at least not to have insurance from that, or some other, source.)  I think the BMFA have reciprocal arrangements with other model-flying governing bodies probably including the FIAM.

At a club level , most clubs will state what insurance requirements must be met and what (if any) level of competence must be demonstrated in order to fly unsupervised.  In the case of BMFA-affiliated clubs all club members must also be BMFA members.  Many clubs specify the BMFA A test as the level required to fly unsupervised,  though some clubs have their own test or simply state that you need to demonstrate a satisfactory flying ability to the safety officer or other nominated club representative.

The A test (and B test) details are on the achievement scheme pages of the BMFA website.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm not too sure of Milton Keynes itself but I believe there's a good and well established club in Aylesbury (about a 20 - 30 minute drive)

There are also clubs in the Luton area which is about the same distance.

Both locations are an easy jaunt from MK.

I live about15 miles from MK and am a member at Chesham although I've not managed to pay a visit yet due to a bunch of boring reasons.  Chesham seems to have a really good reputation and has a number of flying sites, one of which is a couple of miles up the road so it may still be an option. 

Martin, 

thanks a lot for the hints! I started "garden leave"  today - means everything is fixed - I will start to work at MK in September. 

What I am searching for is a club which accepts fixed and rotary wings - my son flies 3d heli - I am on aerobatics rather. This will not be an issue for the first year as my son will finish the scholastic year in Italy - but after that the whole gang (sorry - I mean family) will move over. As it looks the second club you mentioned accepts both. I will have a look around at the weekends to find out what could be the right one.

UK here I come - one more bad pilot to arrive.... and I have to make the licence - as I don't think my Italian one will be accepted.

And now I am already starting to think which model to take with me when I go there in September. Could be that one Yak 54, 1200mm electric)

or that one.

Sebart Sukhoi 29 size 30 (1300mm)  electric 

The messy IC-powered stuff I leave in Italy for the first time... 

Thanks again

VA - rather exited.... 

It may well be worth dropping in to Al's Hobbies in Milton Keynes and have a chat with the guys there.  http://alshobbies.com/info/findus.htm

Al is very active in the UK modelling arena I believe and I've no doubt one of his helpers will be able to provide advice on a local club which will meet your needs as well as BMFA membership etc.

BMFA licenses aren't compulsory (by law) in the UK but many clubs do request that one holds a grade before they can fly solo.  The primary reason however is it means you're insured should somebody get injured.  You may find that one of the instructors will request you prove your abilities and simply request you have BMFA membership for insurance purposes.

I can't imagine many clubs are THAT specific as many do allow visiting pilots etc.