Farmhand 90

Would any one be interested in a build thread for the Steve Holland design of the Farmhand 90.

I purchased the kit with the instruction DVD a few months ago, and now find the bench clear. The last build a Flair Puppeteer being ready for final painting and assembly.

Now I know that the model featured in "the other" magazine but that is what makes this hobby of ours so great. Many great ideas and the sharing of information across the board.  

I do not build that quickly so the thread may drag on for a bit. Unlike Steve who in the video uses Cyano a lot I will be using Aliphatic for most of the build. 

There are no plans with the kit as it is all CNC laser cut and slots together like a big jigsaw. I have watched the video several times already to familiarise myself with the sequence of events. So maybe that will speed me up.
Motive power is going to be provided by a CRRC 40i. The engine you build yourself.

This has already been assembled and is waiting to be strapped to my test bench for initial running in.

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 14/08/2010 17:35:20

• Like 1

As I progress into the build I will provide a running total of the cost.

So far the main expenditure has been the kit and the engine.

All prices will include P+P as I feel this reflects better on the real price. I will also include the name of the supplier that I used.
Where items are readily avaliable from the "average" scraps box I will not include them.

So cost so far.
Kit £149.95  Traplet Publications
Engine £120.00 eBay Hong Kong
Opto petrol engine kill switch 2x Wooden props from Just Engines 18x10 and 20x8 £34.55

Running total = £304.50

Remember this is my first large build so some of you may already have props etc, which will reduce the total.

Still to purchase.

Reciever
Probably AR6200 or an AR7000 (yes I use Spektrum)

Servo`s X7 Will need to be fairly high torque, In the order of 6kg.

No price given for these as I have yet to purchase them. If I go down the AR6200 route I will rob this from one of my "sport" planes and put an AR500 into it. (I will stress that I have had NO issues with AR500`s before we get into that debate) thus lestening the cost.

Covering
Probably Profilm, but may glass and PolyC the wings as they are sheeted. Your comments on this would be much appreciated.

Undercarriage
Not looked into that one in to much detail, but probably a nice carbon fibre one from Carbon Copy.

Little progress this evening as I have some concerns over the gap size on the two fuselage halves, which I have informed Steve of. Awaiting a response before I continue.

So UC1 and UC2 laminated together and most of the formers and the  main crutch have been removed from the sheet.

Once again I am having problems uploading pictures.

After much deliberation I decided to go with a small doubler over the join. I did try to use Cyano wicked into the joint as per the instruction, but it just would not go off.

The gap was to much for medium Cyano So I went with aliphatic in the joint with a small doubler over it held with Cyano
As this area will not be visible on the finished model the joint is purely functional and would not win any beauty contests.

Only time will tell if it was the correct course of action to take. Also the 1/4 square that runs along the top and bottom edges will impart some additional strength. As will the crutch which is going to need some trimming to get it to fit!!! Not sure yet whether that will be at the front or the rear..

Laser cut kit... possibly never again.

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 18/08/2010 19:21:10

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 18/08/2010 22:52:58:
Its becoming a bit of a challenge Kevin isnt it

It certainly is.
Have the day off work today and I am determined to complete the Fuselage. Steve says on the DVD that this can be done in 1 1/2 hours. Probably take me about 4.

If the crutch is to fit at the front I will need to take 3mm of the rear. If it is to fit at the rear then I need to take the same of the front and adjust any former location. Which to me will be  a no no.

Fingers crossed.