TH9X Transmitters

Steve W-O

I wonder how many people are using them?

Made by FlySky, but come branded as Eugle, I-max, Turnigy and I expect some more as well.

I have been using them for about 6  months now, and they seem fantastic value for money.

Quality control is a bit doubtful, so it is worth checking the soldering of the wires to the pots and switches, but the boards are very good.

One very nice pint is that they can easily be flashed with new firmware, and even with some interesting firmware other people have written.

They work very well with a 3S   lipo, there has been a lot of discussion about reducing the voltage, or using a 2S lipo, but it is not necessary  if you read the specs properly.

They do have some shortcomings, worst if no programmable   fail safe, which would make them unsuitable for large models, and some combinations of features won't work at the same time. (no different to other makes it seems).

At £60 for the TX and an 8 channel receiver, very good value.

Posted by Martin Harris on 04/09/2010 14:49:20:
Posted by Steve W-O on 04/09/2010 13:21:44:
Quality control is a bit doubtful.

I'm afraid that point would exclude them from my consideration for anything above a throwaway "toy".

my sentence was

"Quality control is a bit doubtful, so it is worth checking the soldering of the wires to the pots and switches, but the boards are very good."

Which shows that the area of concern is known and specific. It takes less than 15 minutes to check and re-work if needed!

I do agree that some people would not be happy or prepared to do this, and this would probably mean that many other things in the RC world, like the concerns over the Wot 4, many people seem to be complaining about.

The transmitter has received very good reviews for the feel and operation of the controls, range, features like the built in and custom mixes, the cheap price of extra receivers (£10 for 6 channel and £14 for 8 channel)

For those who want 35MHz, it works well with the JR TS-35J synthesised module, it has the antenna built in for 35MHz.

For me, it is far from a throw away toy, it offers more than any other transmitter can, as it can easily be updated (the updating is easy, obviously the new programme has to be written by someone, there are several people with ongoing projects. The programme is written in C, so there are plenty of people around who are capable)

Sorry if you think I shouldn't have truncated your quote but it's the first part that was significant to me.  I know you said the boards seemed fine but (along with the stick units etc.) they may be subject to the same quality controls - I don't know if that's the case but it's precisely because I don't know that I wouldn't use one for anything significant.

It's like many of these things, and some of the bigger names includes.

The boards are assembled by automated processes, but the putting it together that a machine couldn't do are done "in peoples houses". Fortunately the low tech assembly methods also mean they are easy to check and correct.

I would be quite happy using mine on any model to which they were suited.

There have been reports of stick pot failures on a much more widely known brand lately, I sometimes wonder if there were no warning signs first that were ignored. I think all these things have an unknown factor, which I suppose is why we prefer something that has been kind to us for a while.

I admit that when I got the first one, I used it on a depron 3D that I mess around with to practice my reactions in silly situations, but now a few months later, I don't use the Futaba or Sanwa transmitters at all

• 3 weeks later...
My third one just arrived, and hopefully this weekend I will get round to fitting a plug to re-programme it. Will be using the er9x software, which in brief gives (copy and paste from the web)

• Up to 16 model memories.
  • Multilevel flexible mixer - any input channel can be assigned to any output.
  • Mixers can be added, multiplied or set to replace other mixers.
  • 8 5pt curves, 8 9pt curves with graphic visualization.
  • Expo and Dr for the 4 primary channels, split Left/Right with graphic visualization.
  • Throttle trim, throttle expo.
  • PPM input from the trainer port can be used as input to mixer.
  • Adjustable timer for each model. Can be activated by switches, throttle channel or throttle %.
  • Adjustable battery warning voltage.
  • Adjustable contrast.
  • Adjustable beeper.
  • Selectable trim increments.
  • Selectable PPM output - 4ch, 6ch, 8ch, 10ch, 12ch, 14ch, 16ch.
  • Selectable PPM pulse spacing.
  • Limits and offsets for each output channel.
  • Offset can be set with stick inputs.
  • Stick calibration.
  • Graphic or numerical representation of output values.
  • Throttle tracing.
  • Reverse throttle.

Some of the features are common to most other sets, and the original, but what I really need is the unlimited mixing facilities. Will then add some 3 position switches in parallel with the hover pitch, pitch trim and hover throttle pots, which will give me three preset flap positions as well as variable if I wanted.

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 25/09/2010 15:13:11:
Where do you get yours?  They only seem to be available from overseas, or from budget Ebay sellers.

I must admit I like the idea of the uncommitted mixing offered by one of the third-party firmware projects.

Got mine on ebay, seller forcecontrol.
Have bought a total of 10 receivers as well, mostly 6 channel , but  a few 8 channel as well.

Many people have bought them from Hobby King, but I like the protection of ebay and paypal

Some of the new ons don't have the 35MHz antenna, and the latest ones have a different TX module, with the receivers without the satellite receiver, and these won't bind with the earlier ones.

SUCCESS !

Added the wiring and plug to reprogramme to one of my TH9Xs this morning

I didn't want a hole in the outside of the transmitter case, so I mounted the pug on a small PC board.

Which I stuck onto the main board with layers of double sided tape

with some foam on the top side, which makes it a tight sandwich between the main board and battery box.

The plug is then accessible by removing the battery

Doesn't get in the way of the battery.

End result after flashing, firmware that is just two days old.

I'd love to hear a real-world review of the third-party software.   What sort of models will you be using it with?    It's that open-ended function that appeals to me, with other sets it seems so silly that you could have say a plane with four servos but you need to use a six channel radio because you can only program the second aileron on channel 6.

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 27/09/2010 08:43:38:
I'd love to hear a real-world review of the third-party software.   What sort of models will you be using it with?    It's that open-ended function that appeals to me, with other sets it seems so silly that you could have say a plane with four servos but you need to use a six channel radio because you can only program the second aileron on channel 6.

Yesterday while watching the F1, I programmed it for the Funcub.

You can use whaich channel for whatever you like, so the probllem you mention would not exist.

I have programmed four flap positions with a three position switch, the three position switch gives me 15 degrees, 30 degrees, and barn door in the wind degrees. Ths flaps are activated now by the gear switch, which give 0 degrees or whatever is selected by the three position switch. Much better than using a pot, as it is super quick to lose the flaps if you have to open the throttle suddenly to get out of trouble.

On the twinstar, I am going to have two throttle channels, and mix them from the rudder for taxiing, and I will have a virtual switch that won't allow the mix above say 30% throttle.

You really can mix anything to anything, it will now do what I want better than the most expensive set I can find!

£65 for a eight channel TX and RX can't be beaten

5Last night I added differential ailerons. Nothing in the manual for this, and it is not a pre-set mix (there aren't any!)

Very simple after a bit of thinking

Channel four is my main aileron channel, and channel 6 is the other side. I changed the mix for channel 6 to make it not reversed, ie both ailerons go up at the same time.

Then i created two five point curves   -50%   -25% 0  50% 100%   and -100%  -50%  0  25%  50%

Then I applied the one curve to channel 4 (by creating a mix where the input and output in channel 4) and the other curve to the channel 6 mix.

Now my ailerons go down half as much as they go up. So simple and logical.

Will now get a couple of 35 MHz modules, and get rid of my RD6000s 

Just added the interface to the second one now, the third I am going to keep standard for a while.

The new one (had never even had a battery in it when I modified it, looking back it would have been wise to have tested it first) is a bi improvement over the older ones, the soldering on the switches and pots is of a good standard, no need to redo it, and it had the newer version motherboard.

Where the yellow wires connects, the solder pad is now in the right place, previously it was wrong, and the wire had to be soldered onto the end of one of the resistors.

This is the back of the very crude circuit board the plugs mounts on (just used a knife to cut away the copper where it was not needed.

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 03/10/2010 10:58:54:
These sets that you have, do they have the 2.4GHz built in, or is it a removable Futaba style module with separate antenna like the original ones?

They have the modules. Actually they all have modules, but the latest ones don't have the 35MHz antenna, and the 2.4GHz antenna in on top of the TX.  Problem there is that although the module can come off the TX the wire for the antenna is soldered in. The earlier ones have the antenna on the module, and the 35MHz antenna on the TX. (I say earlier and later, but I think it is in fact who sells them, there is one that only sells the ones without the 35Mhz antanne)

I also have a synthesised 35MHz module that plugs straight in, so I don't need my 35Mhz TXs any more

• 4 weeks later...
Things got even better this morning.

Found there is now a program to edit and simulate all the TX settings on the PC, move the controls on the screen, and see exactly what the servos are doing.

All the settings, expo, rates, mixes curves etc are all displayed and edited on the PC, when you have finished, just copy it to the transmitter and that's it!

Yes, not hard to do on the TX, but even easier on the PC.

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 31/10/2010 18:40:01:
You don't have a link to that PC program do you?   I've having some challenges with the flap programming on my existing radio, and I'm starting to wonder whether its time to "jump ship".   Since the 9x is modular, I assume I could transfer my existing Frsky module to it

The modules are JR type, not Futaba.

No, you don't have to link it to the PC to programme it, but you do need to to update the firmware.

They are $55 at HK, but they don't have stock at the moment.

I am totally happy with mine, there is nothing you can't do with it (the modified version), and even standard it did everything I wanted, just the modified version does it better.

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 31/10/2010 19:16:56:
Posted by Steve W-O on 31/10/2010 19:01:35:

The modules are JR type, not Futaba.

Cheers.  My module's Futaba as it happens, but I could sell it with the transmitter of course. 

Well the TH9X isn't really a major investment (compared to other makes of the same capability), can be had on ebay for around £70 including postage, so may be possible to get one to try and keep your present setup.

You say your module is Futaba, what make is the transmitter?

Its a Hitec Optic, came second hand complete with a Futaba 35MHz module.   Its a nice set but the Fun Cub requirements really show up its limits for flap programming.  Limits that aren't apparent in the documentation, and have really turned me off the preset mixes which mean the radio won't do what you want, for no very good reason.

I've found that PC simulator program ("eepe"), and I'm going to have a play around and see it all would work before doing it for real.

Its a Hitec Optic, came second hand complete with a Futaba 35MHz module.   Its a nice set but the Fun Cub requirements really show up its limits for flap programming.  Limits that aren't apparent in the documentation, and have really turned me off the preset mixes which mean the radio won't do what you want, for no very good reason.

I've found that PC simulator program ("eepe"), and I'm going to have a play around and see it all would work before doing it for real.

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 01/11/2010 09:09:38:

The eepe simulator is for the TH9X with the ER9X firmware, not the standard radio.

You need to be able to solder etc to make the mods as pictured higher up, and have a programmer (ABOUT £10)  to use it.

But even standard, it will be better than what you have now for the flaps.

• 5 months later...
Just fitted a backlight, took just a few minutes, and very cheap.

The first ones I got were blue, I have some white ones coming, so I'll do a white one next and see which looks best.

The protective film is still on the LCD, sure it will look better with it off.