Removal - how to protect planes?

Vecchio Austriaco

Anybody out there with a good idea how to protect my precious planes during removal and may be also during some storage time? Any good ideas welcome.

Taking them into the car is not an option - 1500km distance and if I am in the car it will be packed with all kind of other stuff.

Scrap them all and buy new ones is not an option....my new job is good but not good enough for that...

What do I have to pack:
Sebart Angel 50
Extra 60 size (wing in one piece)
3 Gliders (may be not such a problem as the tail can be removed)
Yak 54 110cm
Edge 540 100cm

Trex 600
Trex 500
Trex 250
Mini Titan
ARK 400 

My basic idea was to build wooden boxes - one for the planes and one for the helis making a frame from 30x30mm soft wood covered with some cheap 3mm ply.  This will be a lot of work and I have exactly one week time to do so.

Any better idea?

How about rolling them up in bubblewrap - I think the big bubble version would be best. You could go over-the-top and wrap them in 4 or 6 layers and if you roll a length of cheap broom handle into the bundle then that would stop the movers bending it. Bubblewrap on Google Shopping seems to be about £15 per 100 metres so not too bad but don't know what it costs in Italy - at least it would be quick and easy! 

this is a problem I have put alot of thought to as my job requires me to move alot.

But there is no easy answer I am afraid.

I have been buying models with bolt on tails (such as hanger 9 stuff) to make it easier to pack into a box for protection. These type of models can be packed into the box it came in.

I have other models that this is not possible but I only came up with the solutions you have already mentioned. That is either take out the radio and motor and scrap the airframe ( a big waste) or as you said build a protective frame from 1x1 soft wood and covering the sides with thick cardboard (cut from removal boxes) and packed with foam or polysirene.

I could not come up with anything better either I am afraid

When I worked in the electronics industry the shipping department packed some stuff by wrapping it in plastic, putting it in a box with some of those polystyrene squiggles and then using that expanding foam to surround and protect the delicate stuff.

I think that sometimes they would start off the foam, put a sheet of plastic over it, put in the goods, another sheet of plastic over that and more foam on top.

Of course they knew the correct quantities to use.

Plummet

• 3 weeks later...
So - here we are. Italy will soon be past for me. Didn't reduce the quantity of planes - no wind in Italy. So I had to spend 90 Euros for packaging - and this is the result.
Box size 170x70x50cm. Full with stuff.

All my (and my sons) stuff is inside, we will suffer a several month break from flying as the box will go into storage. Planes and helis are separated by foam rubber, rest of the box is filled with bits of expanded polystyrol.  
No fear - I have saved one of my planes by taking it to my UK flat and I have purchased a second one there...
Also my son has still a slow flyer as it was to fragile to be packed.
VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 02/10/2010 17:57:12

I marked the screws to undo the lid with orange colour if somebody cannot widthstand and wants to know it whats inside....
Looking at the state of some of my models - they are not far away from being dead bodies...
Anyway - they don't stink - except a bit of burnt castor may be...

I'm sitting here packing away all kind of stuff and there is perfect flying weather outside.

• 1 year later...
After more than a year I unpacked my box - as my shed / workshop is almost operational. There was no mechanical damage and no sign of corrosion.
The level of the styrene chips was much lower - obviously the vibrations during traveling packed them closer together. Taking the chips out was annoying as they stick to everything by static charge.
I used the brilliant weather to empty a few batteries with my good old Yak which had a 1 year break. No warp, was flying as always.
cheers VA

Wait until you see my shed - it is absolutely packed with planes, helis and tools. And there are still 3 gliders, two extras and the Webbit in the loft.
I have to change to a more aggressive flying style to get more space...
Pictures next week