Beechcraft Bonanza C35

Mine is still in the box; i am scared to take it home
i need to work on my wife first to let me deal with this on our dining table. we live in a very small flat we have a 2 year old daughter and we are expecting the second baby this summer. Don't know if i can start construction.
in the mean time i am preparing tools and thinking about how i can solve the problems you solved. RDS, tail servos, linkages, retracts and so on. i need to have some progress to be able to identify what i am going to need. I contacted some retailers for graupner RDS but it is very expensive. People are lacking hobbies here in Turkey and this i guess increases the prices because they can not sell too many stuff. We have a government store where i bought my kit from; there the prices are better but the options are limited. They don't even have ball links. My flights are very limited as well, few hours in the weekends if the weather and family stuff allows. i brought one of the planes to work to fly on lunch brakes, but couldn't start that. It can improve my flight hours and avoid rusty fingers as you said if i can manage flights at work.
Cockpit looks great and very scale, the surgery the poor pilot underwent really made me laugh. The pilot being a bear reminded me of a comic strip i hope it is ok for you to put this on your thread.

i was looking forward for your flight but now even i developed worries like you would have after all the sweat. it is very nice to follow it i enjoy it very much. Thanks.

Edited By Guner Tunca ERDOGAN on 15/04/2011 09:49:42

So here we are with one of the last updates for this thread. There are good and bad news.

First the good ones: The Bonanza is finished.
The colour scheme is more or less similar to the prototype. A few changes were necessary as the kit is not exactly to scale. Also the position and shape of the third window is different. May be there were different variants of the prototype.

This bear is not the best pilot. you will read later.

Now that the servo is hidden by the coloured stripes it doesn't disturb so much.
The Beechcraft logo should be in the dark blue section, but for some reason it doesn't come out properly - this is the problem of printing light colours on a transparent film. So I moved it down into the white part.

So. The good news are finished. The bad news are that the plane runs very much to the left on taxiing. So I cannot fly it without steering the front wheel. To do so I made an Y connection to the aileron. This was the worst idea I ever had.

Now I could hold the model straight - but I needed quite a bit of aileron to do so. Also the model is of the "stick to the ground" type even I built in a little angle between front and rear wheels. When taking off with a mixture of up elevator and aileron it made a quick half roll to the right - and the bear was too slow to correct in time. So it crashed on its nose and broke the firewall and cowl. Not much further damage, it could have been much worse. This comes from being impatient, I should have waited until I have a transmitter with minimum one channel more. Now I will quietly repair the damage and put the model on its support below the ceiling of my little flat....

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 18/04/2011 08:41:53

Sorry to hear about the prang. You've done a great job. You need to send the bear back to flight school.

I have only hand launched mine (grass field is rough) and must admit although I don't have the wing dropping issue you have, it's definitely not a relaxing model to fly. I've got a feeling mine is going to be a hanger queen. I will have another go once I've finished the Webbit and had some fun with that. I also still need to sort the flaps properly.

chin up, get it fixed soon. Shame we don't have a tarmac strip anywhere near us

Hi VA,

really sorry to learn you've bent it! Its looks (looked?) great. Such a pity.

Presumably the right roll on take off was caused because you were still holding right aileron/nosewheel as she left the ground? Can you not put a "set" to the right into the nosewheel that will hold her more or less straight until she builds up enough ground speed for the ruddervators become effective in steering her?

BEB

Hi VA
I am very sorry for the accident but you made avery nice job. the plane came out beautifully. I think you should find the reason for the pulling and replace the tx and try again. i didn't understand why a 7 channel tx didn't solve the control issues.

Aileron
Flap
retract and landing lights
ruddervatorL
ruddervatorR
pure rudder for steering
throttle

Guner,

one channel is occupied by the stobe and position lights. As this black box is rather tricky (I cannot switch it on without the real receiver signal - for some reason it doesn't work with a servo tester) I have to use one port for this.

I have to say we have to break some of our models - otherwise I (we) will run out of space or the RC industry will die. no fear - I will repair it.

In any case I recommend ARTF when it comes to fly models - the relation between you as the owner/builder to an ARTF is much weaker than to a kit built model where you put in the effort of several month. ARTF - You crash it - you replace it if you liked it.

Vecchio

I also (as Ractive) have heard that bears are not the most consistent pilots.

There was a a Pooh type bear that used to fly a Seagull electric Space walker, in my club. I think he flew it from the front cockpit, which I thought was wrong. He also piled the model in, after about 30 flights. He did look smart though, I guess he just got to cocky.

Sorry to read about the trouble you have experienced. If it is any constellation, my Me 163, will not go either. My pilot is one of those Chinese ones. Cathy Pacific I understand is a well respected Chinese airline, I believe, so in this case it may be something else?

Repair should not be a big thing - but at the moment there is lack of interest....
If it hangs on the ceiling of my flat you cannot even see the damage - so I let it hang until the interest comes back....
And to Erfolg: my experience with bears is different - there is one who flies all kind of rolls, stall turns, knivedge, snaps, inside and outside loops - and all this in a cheap ARTF. And its a Seagull plane as well... He even made his A recently.

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 19/04/2011 12:01:54

I can see from the photo, that he is laid back.Given his competency, he is a he, isn't he? I do suspect a private privileged education. What ever you do, do not, I repeat, do not, let the authorities know. There is a great danger he will be positively discriminated against on the grounds of his backgrounds, all the achievements being the product of networking and yes, privileged, requiring your model crushing, to demonstrate what would have occurred if he had not been the product of a privileged background, pushy parents and a level of skill which he is not entitled to.

My pilot on the other hand has only just been liberated from the communist yoke. I do suspect that training and education is not all that was claimed, hence his lack of skill.

Of course your latest bear could be the product of a fair, British, education, from an impoverished childhood. His academic achievements which have taken into accounts his disadvantages, proving the incident could not have been any of his doing. Therefore no incident occurred. This is proved by the continuing safe flight in your house.