Biggles' Mess

• 1 month later...

Surely it's crazy to pixilate the military areas - it just tells the bad guys exactly where to target!

Would be far better to fake the photo and put something else there to diguise it!   Proves there is no such thing as Military 'Intelligence'

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this on-line. I found it interesting. Perhaps some of you gentlemen might find it interesting too.

John Gordon Fletcher, born in Dundee, Scotland, lived in France before the 1914-1918 War, apparently serving in the French Army before the war broke out. He joined the British Army in the Great War and after the war settled in Albert in Northern France where he worked in the aircraft factory at Meaulte. In 1921 he married a French girl. He was arrested by the Nazis in May 1942 and died in Auschwitz on 8th July 1942.

I know Albert and Meaulte well. Albert was the forward headquarters of the British Army on the Somme throughout most of the Great War and I have visited it many times when doing the Great War battlefields. There is still a big aircraft factory at Meaulte which makes parts for the Airbus. I have seen a "guppy," an Airbus modified to carry the wings of Airbuses, take off from the flying field by the factory and I believe that the German airforce may have occuppied the flying field briefly in 1918.

Must take the dog for a walk then get both of us some breakfast.

The article below published in Dundee's local paper, "The Courier," explains things better than I can.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/dundee/2544245/forgotten-victimofholocaust/?fbclid=IwAR0_Zdcrc7kbArwqiBhO9vpqtpHU_v2ekOFRq_Ljf-s2sjhHPe6zRosxH5Q

• Like 1

I am new to this thread so please forgive me if I have it wrong, but it seems like the chat is about anything? If so:

Did you follow the work on "build your own cruise missile" I was wondering if anyone here did??? Or maybe built their own??                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/cruise.shtml

http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/

http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/missilemanbook.shtml

http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/diary.shtml

It has all gone quiet recently, maybe Bruce got fed up with all the NZ government attention. After all $5K is a lot cheaper than the regular price even on eBay.

Build your own.jpg

On 17/11/2021 at 17:54, kc said:

Surely it's crazy to pixilate the military areas - it just tells the bad guys exactly where to target!

Would be far better to fake the photo and put something else there to diguise it!   Proves there is no such thing as Military 'Intelligence'

The famous model record holder Maynard Hill who worked on military drones was frustrated by their rigid thinking said and I quote because I heard it from his own lips "rank times intelligence is a constant"

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone on here still build plastic kits? My R/C plane building board is packed away till the New Year (it lives in the lounge) so i thought i would have a go at putting a smaller model together! I haven`t built a plastic kit since i was in my teens over 45 years ago ? i don`t remember the bits being this small back then! Hands up who can recognise what it is, pretty distinctive fuselage, anyone whos says part built model aircraft will be asked to leave the room! 

IMG_20211230_103531_resized_20211230_103557687.jpg

1 hour ago, martin collins 1 said:

Anyone on here still build plastic kits? My R/C plane building board is packed away till the New Year (it lives in the lounge) so i thought i would have a go at putting a smaller model together! I haven`t built a plastic kit since i was in my teens over 45 years ago ? i don`t remember the bits being this small back then! Hands up who can recognise what it is, pretty distinctive fuselage, anyone whos says part built model aircraft will be asked to leave the room! 

IMG_20211230_103531_resized_20211230_103557687.jpg

After watching and enjoying the recent Hornby series on TV, I decided to have a change from balsa bashing over the holidays by having a go at a plastic kit. I'm doing the 1/72 P47 from Revell based on a US machine flying from nearby Boxted. Really enjoying the experience and it makes a nice change to build something for its own sake and not have to worry about flying it etc. I think I could really get back into the hobby as it takes up no room when building - I work in our conservatory on a small table that is well illuminated by natural light, and it takes only a minute or so to pack it away when finished for the day.

Amazing techniques to learn from YouTube that I had no idea existed as a kid, and modern paints and adhesives are so much better. Get to use my so far unused Paashe airbrush that I won for having  an idea published in a modelling magazine over twenty years ago. If the final results aren't too embarrassing, I'll post a pic.