Telemetry - do you use it? What do you think of it?

Soren:

now i would like to reduce the tendency to increase angle at climb. i have this at the other radio (DX6i) but i dont know how with this. perhaps as you fly gliders too have to face same situation?

anyway, if you can provide instructions (perhaps even another tutorial) would be great.

thanks

While I'm here, here's a typical telemetry screen from the OpenTx system, and yes I use telemetry a lot and find it very useful indeed, especially when a model is new.

Apart from voice call outs of various parameters like LiPo mAh used, battery volts, height etc it will alarm if signal strength is getting low, well before I lose control and likewise, warn if Rx battery is getting low.

If I really want to I can also look at graphs after a flight to see just what went on during the flight. For instance I can check how signal strength went for the whole sortie. This gives me much more confidence in the installation than a range check on the ground can. Or I can check all the individual LiPo cells to check that one wasn't dropping lower than others at any point during it's discharge.

img_20180616_222149.jpg

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 16/06/2018 22:30:43:
Phil your climbing under power problem has nothing to do with telemetry.
If you start a new thread for that I'm sure you'll get more answers.

Can we stay on topic here, please?

right. how can i erase the post?

and how can i start a new post? am new to this.

• 1 month later...

Well, I guess I’ll find out as I bought one.

My first experience has not started well. Plugged the sensor into the sbus socket in the receiver and nothing, just a glowing red light. Neither the sensor or trans manual covers a simple set up process .frown

So, I played and reloaded the sensors, wipping the trans of any sensor software! Now I guess I have to purchase a sbus hub to re-register the sensor?

Help!

Like I said I am not a Futaba user so may be wrong, but I understood there were 2 x S.Bus ports on Rx compatible with these sensors - S.Bus1 and S.Bus2 - and the sensor needed to be plugged into the S.Bus2 port.

It is not clear from your comments if that is what you are doing.

Apologies if I am just adding to the confusion.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 28/07/2018 14:47:28

Rich, if you mean you need to register the sensor on the tx by plugging it into the sbus port on the tx with a battery into the hub for power, I think this is just a Y lead. I had to do this with a non-futaba sensor on my friends 14sg, you had to plug the sensor into the Tx and do an initial set up then it worked when plugged into the receiver.

Also you may need to check that your Tx will work with the SBS-02A, or if it needs an update to make it work. Not all transmitters work with all sensors, there's a table here

Hit and miss but got it working. I had linked the receiver using the small button on the receiver but this was incorrect and I followed the link procedure from the trans menu. I came across this as I noticed I wasn’t even getting the rx voltage displayed so something was wrong...

Rich, glad it's sorted. Now all you need is a few thermals to check the vario function.

You mentioned height alarm above, not sure if the 16sz can do it, but I've programmed the telemetry on my MPX Profi to cut the motor if I go above a certain height on one electric glider, e.g. throttle cut come on when height exceeds 120m and off when height drops below 40m, so climb to 120m the motor cuts, search for thermals and if none find motor can restart when glider has descended to below 40m