Vecchios Webbit

19.2.2011 After the decision to order one I went through my collection of bits and I could find a few useful parts which I will use.

Those are

a Turnigy brushless engine C2830-1050. Not the superpower but I think it should work.

A carbon landing gear from a broken Mini Katana – should be ok from size point of view.

Wheel spats– don’t remember the model any more.

45mm wheels – they look pretty much like Sebarts – don’t remember where they come from.

A 35A ESC from Hobby King – should easily do the job.

Some mini size servos – one of them a Robbe FS 60 – this will handle the elevator (as I want something which is accurate for that.

So the build will be cheap as it looks. (If you are a few years in the business you collect a lot of stuff….)

Only thing necessary is a receiver. Not sure what to take – may be I go for an 8 channel which will go into the Bonanza and I take the 7 channel which is currently in the Bonanza for this model.

In the end I changed my mind about the engine and ordered the Timbo-recommended Hi-power version from Giant Cod.

Yesterday was Christmas – Both the engine and the kit arrived. So I had to unpack the stuff and to look at it from all sides for hours. In the end I did nothing the whole evening but looking at the stuff – the poor Bonanza stayed in her holder at the ceiling of my flat. I decided on the spot to use 2 servos for the aileron – there is even space for a standard servo in the wings.

Went to Al's with my shopping list – found all wood parts as well as hinges, horns and 2 Hitec HS55 servos (I still have a lot of servos spare, but no pair of equal ones…

As usual Ali did a brilliant job in selling me something I didn’t ask for – this time it was a Jamara DSM2 6 channel receiver. For a good price – I don’t mention it – find out yourself. All in all I paid less than 52£ for all the wood, small parts like clevises and horns, 2 mini servos and a 6 channel receiver. So no excuse, I have to start now.

But not today; slowflyer time in the evening.

A rainy day – so why not starting the wing?

The plan has been fixed to the building board by adhesive tape and covered by PE-foil.

With the aileron I allowed myself to cheat a bit – as I didn’t want to test my balsa planeing qualities I cut the aileron to shape by using a circular saw. This needs a saw with a blade you can tilt and it can only be done without blade protection – so extreme care is necessary.

Building the wing is a straight forward job as everything is rectangular. I decided for 2 small aileron servos in the wings, so I had to make hatches for the servos. Also I prepared some holes for the servo cables.

After one days work the wing is ready for covering.

Fuselage: I hope you don’t get any bad impression looking at the weights I used for gluing on the wing strengtheners…

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 13/04/2011 13:28:57

I did not like the pig snout – so I filled it out with some balsa wood.

As I know my landing s I put on some ply stoppers to stop the landing gear from turning. back at rough landings.

This shows the battery holder (balsa, 6mm) and the receiver rest (light ply, 3mm)

Finally I covered everything using Oracover for the fuselage and solarcover for the wing. The stripes on the wing where a bit tricky as the oracover has a higher melting point than the solarcover. But in the end it worked,.

I didn’t make a steerable rear wheel – but just a wire. Ground handling will be worse but I don’t think this is a big problem

Finally I made some adhesives for decoration and so the Webbit is finished.

Here you can see a detail of the servo hatches

COG: I had to add some lead into the nose, but the servos are all behind the COG, and this doesn’t help.

21.03.2011 I planned to fly the model today, but the strong wind did not allow a safe maiden flight. So I have to wait for better conditions.

I did a range test – about 60 large steps until the servos show some problems. This means that the Jamara clone receiver seems to work quite well.

The maiden flight was end of March, the model takes off easily with half throttle.
Had to correct the elevator trim and I felt that my built in downthrust is not sufficient. I will correct that in the usual way - using washers.

What was the main problem for me is the landing gear - first it is rather high and second a bit too far back. This means landing is a tricky game - the model has to be landed like Richthofens 3 wing plane....

So the Webbit fell several times on its nose and broke finally one of the wheel spats and the prop.

I will go back to the workshop and make the wire gear which will be a) lower and b) more in the front of the fuselage.

• 2 weeks later...