E-flite Extra 300 32e

its not the sort of model that will fly itself and only being its second flight you would not be used to how it handels. I have lost a few models myself with the maiden flight you consentrate hard but the next few flight after that are normally the most dangerious as the model is still not fully trimmed out (it takes more than just a few clicks of up elevator to full trim out this type of model)

• 1 month later...

I have one of these on order and already have some mini digital servos

the torque rating is 2.5kg/cm this is less than the 3.5kg/cm rating of the recommended servo

will the ones I have be strong enough? if they would not work all round could I use any of them on some surfaces?

• 1 month later...

p1010294.jpg

the clear canopy looked a little bare so I painted it. I ment to buy a tint the the paint had a smoke effect but still I think it looks ok.

p1010295.jpg

I also added some solartrim stripes to the white underside to help me see it

This model will be a step up in skill level for for me and I am more than a little nervious about flying it. I will get the club experet to maiden it for me but it still could all end in tears

Posted by Racing Snake on 09/12/2012 17:07:14:

I do hope your Extra lasts longer than mine (2 flights), having the club expert maiden it will hopefully ensure it does. Enjoy.

Nev.

Thanks Nev. I do know this type of model can bite but if I can keep it in one piece it should help me improve

Hi,

saw you found my old thread. It is important to fly it in, and not to slow through the landing curve. If you keep that in mind it is not a problem. About the standard servo for the rudder: carful opening with an exacto knife and you go! I fly the extra with 4000mAh 4 cells, this together with the doll makes it rather heavy. It's my plane for the more windy day. VA

I really like the look of the Extra and will be tempted to try another one day just as soon as Iv'e got more flying hours under my belt.

I have just got to put the finishing touches to my Harmon Rocket which has replaced the Extra in the hangar, fingers crossed this will go well and help with my confidence.

Please let us know how the maiden goes.

Nev.

• 2 months later...

I did get a club mate to do the maiden flight for me just to make sure. then I got a couple of shorts flights in. the take took me a little by suprise as it was a very short run and landing were solid. This will be a great summer model once we get some nice flying weather

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by Racing Snake on 04/09/2012 11:05:35:

I took the Extra up for only its second and last flight yesterdaysad. After performing a range check and that all control surfaces were good, I took off. After just one circuit and flying straight and level I glanced down to find my elevator trim switch, when I looked back up she appeared to have rolled to the right and gone into a nose dive. I tried everthing to save her but she didn't respond to anything I did, it all happened so quick. I don't think fail-safe kicked in as she went in under power, infact I believe she throttled up without command, can this happen with an ESC (Eflite 60amp)? or did I just imagin it !!!

Because she was so badly damaged, including battery fire, I couldn't determine what if anything had failed, but I found nothing obvious, the radio still works as does all servos, the motor looks ok but have yet to test it, the ESC is to damaged to test. I don't think I was flying slow enough for her to stall so I'm left wondering if she failed me or I failed her, any thoughs?

Nev,

UPDATE

I sent my DX8 and AR6200 rx in for examination on Tuesday and received them back 10.30 am Friday.

A fault was found with the RF board in the DX8 so they replaced it and recalibrated the Gimbals, they also installed the latest firmware in the rx, all FOC.

You cannot get better customer service than that, well done and thankyou to all at Horizon Hobby.

Nev.

• 3 months later...

Daniel,

cutting of the cross spar didn't harm the models stability. It is still alive, well with a few hard landings, currently the wheel spars are under repair. But no way that there will be the big - "fallen apart because of missing cross spar" disaster.

I fly 4000mAh, gives you 10 minutes of mild flying or 7 minutes of aerobatics. I have also a 4cell 3000mAh battery as I use them on my Sukhoi, but the length is the same, it is just thinner. I had even problems fitting this battery into the original aperture.

Question - what were the other owners of this plane doing?