Dawn Flyer

Well the Debutante is all but completed pending maiden flight so I figured it was time to start doodling again and came up with this.
48 inch span for 300watt 3 cell lipo combination, never done anything like this before but a bit inspired through watching magnificent men in their flying machines a few weeks ago. I recon this should be a bit of a quicker build.

Lindsay .

Can never get enough of designs from the the early days,looks good any ideas about cover material and decor? The design looks a bit later than the magnificent men era.

Tom.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 11/05/2011 14:40:20

Edited By tom wright 2 on 11/05/2011 14:42:24

Hi Tim, same thoughts rear fuselage open other than top deck for strength, then antique light tex or similar for everything, perhaps some litho plate to the cowl area, oh and a big wooly scarf for the pilot.

Tom I agree its about time another one came out, perhaps a little more modern but still in the mood I think. Must keep an eye out for a suitable Terry Thomas type pilot figure!

Lindsay

It looks great and with the budget 300W power system (I'd go with the 2814-8T (£20)and a 10x7e), most electric flyers will have already have one or more of the usual 2200 3S packs that normally go in this size of model.

An open back-end would also be great.

I've fancied building a Magnatilla but electrification needs something much more substantial and it probably wouldn't be a good park flyer. This one could be a good alternative.

Hi Phil, Autocad adict I'm afraid born and bread through work so its a bit second nature now although I still get out the paper and crayons occasionally.

Nigel, my other Zulu designs are all based around a similar package, a bit like Tim really, I ve got the gear ready for this one so should be able tomove on it pretty quickly.

Danny, that's the ticket forgot about him, perfect!

Linds

Posted by Lindsay Todd on 11/05/2011 15:07:58:
Hi Tim, same thoughts rear fuselage open other than top deck for strength, then antique light tex or similar for everything, perhaps some litho plate to the cowl area, oh and a big wooly scarf for the pilot.

Tom I agree its about time another one came out, perhaps a little more modern but still in the mood I think. Must keep an eye out for a suitable Terry Thomas type pilot figure!

Lindsay
Hi Lindsay,

Where do I go to source litho plate these days, we used to have a printing department at the College where I worked and It was free, but i have no idea where to get it from now.

Cheers,

Chris.

• 1 year later...

Crikey what happened over twelve months later and I finally get round to making at start on building Dawn Flyer!

first job print out the ribs and formers and get cutting on the old fret saw

formers

cut parts

Finally can start building the fuz, all straight forward stuff as formers from 3mm lite ply and fuz sides from 6mm medium balsa

basic fuz

Simple 6mm doubler for u/c support, first three formers all at 90 degrees and 6mm square longerons to front lower fuz sides and top centre helps keep it all square. As the rear end tapers to a latice frame I have dampened the wood and left it to dry with a couple of elastic bands wrapped around to assist with the next stage. Will it be ready for the RCM&E event? perhaps optimistic but I am going to give it a go. Oh and we are building two at the same time for good measure.

Little bit more done to the fuz

Rear top longerons

Rear top 6mm longerons added

Keel plate and rearbase longeron

Lower rear longeron and support plate added plus triangulated 6mm square

rear top formers added

Top rear formers added and top rear support longeron, the rear top deck will be sheeted whilst the lower portion will remain an open structure

• 3 weeks later...

ok little bit more today as weather has been so lousy

img_6462.jpg

front deck now sheeted with 3/32nd balsa with a 1/4 inch longeron joing formers along top centre.

dscn3264.jpg

rear top deck sheeted in exactly the same way as the front. The rear structure is already remarkably strong being triangulated but might yet add diagonal bracing, this lower structure will remain open to the elements so will be finished with a stain and varnish.

dscn3262.jpg

Decided to make up the tail plane, all from 1/4" medium balsa very simple stuff

dscn3260.jpg

As per tailplane the fin and rudder are also from medium 1/4" (6mm) balsa, the rudder being sanded from the hinge line back to the trailing edge leaving a thickness of about 1/8 (3mm).

Next job is the elevators so more soon

Linds

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit more done over the last couple of days

dscn3265.jpg

Elevator is made from 6mm balsa, the component is made as a single item, I have then bent up a 2mm piano wire 'U' shape and let this into the leading edge, when dry I will then cut away the joining section of balsa to give two seperate elevators joined by the piano wire.

dscn3270.jpg

Could not resist a test fit onto the back of the fuz, all good so now to get cracking on the wing

dscn3273.jpg

All the ribs were first cut from 3/32nd balsa. Started by pinning down two 1/4 inch (6mm) square medium balsa bottom spars to the board and the glue the ribs in place, checking as i go with a square.

dscn3274.jpg

When dry I added the top spar and the aileron cut out trailing edge again from 1/4" (6mm) square, when dry i then added the dihedral brace which is from 3mm marine ply by setting the base angle flush to the bottom spar.

dscn3277.jpg

I always manage to get the angle wrong on the first spar brace I cut! why is that? Still plenty of glueing area and definately strong enough so I will correct the plan and move on.

dscn3280.jpg

I could not resist dropping the wing onto the fuz. It looks a bit like an aeroplane now.

dscn3283.jpg

On with the wings and 1/16 (1.5mm) balsa added to the trailing edge and centre underside

dscn3284.jpg

Leading edge sheeting from 1.5m balsa also added from rear edge of spar forward to top and bottom of the wing and 6mm wide cap strips added to the top and bottom of the ribs.

More soon

Linds

• 3 weeks later...

Little bit more done since last post

dscn3287.jpg

Keeping things simple with the wing tips, medium 2mm balsa sheet glued on centre of end rib then 6mm fillets from the rib to the edge to give strength and shape. I will also extend the leading edge so that when covered you don't get an unsightly step.

dscn3289.jpg

Centre section formers added. Front former positioned by using dowel location with wing positioned on fuz then glued in place. 6mm square balsa centre support between formers and then sheeted with 3mm before cutting out the cockpit recess and a little filler to finish.

dscn3291.jpg

Decided to make a start with the covering with antique solartex which I might ligtly spray just to make a little more opaque. Covering removed from all mating faces and glued into position with epoxy. All hinges and mylar 'fuzzy' strip and cyno into position. Next job is to figure the tail skid mounting, stain and varnish the rear structure, if the weather holds hopefully tomorrow that I can sort the control runs and servos for the rudder and elevator.

more soon. Linds