Thunder Tiger 40 cowl

john chapling

Hi There, I am a beginner finishing off an ARTF Thunder tiger 40. I am struggling assembling the 2 halves of the front cowl as this has to be done in one operation at the same time as the engine installation etc, etc.

Does anyone have any experience of this and has found a better way of installing engine, linkages, cowl etc. Once the 2 halves of the cowl are glued it will not fit over the engine.

Many thanks - John 

When I assembled mine, I didn't glue the top of the cowl - this way it could be spread wide enough to clear the engine in final assembly - then secured the top with tape. The instructions were a lttle confusing here...

My Tiger Trainer II has been flown without mishap a number if times now, I'm still to fly it solo though. The model's appearance and flight characteristics have impressed many at my club. It cost a bit more than the identikit opposition but I feel it's worth it.

When i assembled mine it just used a dremel to cut it to fit and then managed to slide the engine in and put the whole assembly onto the plane, i have since cut the join and the top rear of the engine to allow it to be removed without taking off the engine. I have been flying the plane solo for about 3 weeks now and i can say it flys great , very light and floaty.

• 11 months later...

Hi Shaun Harris

I own a neat Thunder Tiger Trainer N40TT with an RMX 40 Engine it has a large exhaust pipe but the craft is well balanced and flies well with some added extras too. You enquired as to take care of the plastic body work in the summertime well that is easy the answer is BABY WIPES!

They moisten the plastic and stop it from curling on the wings! I use the wipes before and after every flight. Also to clean off excessive fuel spills too. And er..use..em myself too! Ha! Ha!. 

Hi Sirio

May I suggest a really good tip to follow regarding the nose wheel for the tiger trainer 40? It says in the instructions to drill a hole under the fusalage up front and thread a wire cable attached  to the push rod and connect to nose wheel. Dont do this! The cable will bend into an "S" shape and will not steer nose gear. Remove the cable. Look forward of the plane you will see a pre-drilled hole bottom right hand side (facing you) under the engine mount. Cut a slot hole about inch long three mill wide and varnish it.  Put the little black plastic pulley onto the nose wheel stem in between the two collets holding the nose stem.  you should be able to see the plastic pulley move in and out of the slot you just made. Thread the cable through the hole you just made and attach cable to the plastic pulley. This should straighten the cable and adjust it. If you had made a hole under the fusalage close it up with balsa wood and repaint it

I hope all this helps!.

Wills