FW-190 builders thread......

propogandhi

Just wondering if anybody has the parts and is planning on making a start on one? I brought the mag with the plan, but was a little disapointed not to see any pictures of the model actually being built, and I don't think I saw any mention of another artical to come.

Really do like the look of the model and am thinking about my next 'proper' build after the Savex Spitfire. Thus it would be great to see any FW's that might be out there on a building board.

prop.

Posted by Keith Simmons on 27/09/2011 13:15:03:
Happy to have the free plan, A question - Is the plan to scale? The length given on the plan is 49.5 inches, but I measured it as 50.75 inches from the assumed end of the spinner (as the front part of the spinner not drawn) to the end of the rudder. Is there a gap between the two wings as each wing is 30 inches?

Could it be that the wingspan measurement incorporates the diihedral?

Edited By leccyflyer on 27/09/2011 19:29:45

I may be wrong but I think the fuselage panels RS3 and LS3 are labelled wrongly. To me it looks as though the right fuselage side would be longer than the left side as it is marked. Would any one like to check and comment?

cheers TF

On Tony's website, he did mention that the plan you'd get when you buy from him would be a full sheet plan, and not as it came in RCM&E. I guess you get the same, better quality plan from myhobby when you buy the plan separately.

If I decided to build the model, I'll use the free plan as a spare and work from the £20 plan...which is a bit of a shame really. Still, its a nice looking model.

prop.

I plan on building this this coming winter. I'll need to order the cowl along with the canopy and top panel. I was wondering as well weather there might be anyone jumping on this build anytime soon. Maybe start it as a group build and therefore gain hints and tips building along someone who might be more experienced. Has to be said though... This is a lovely model.

A note on one side being longer than the other is that Tony built in the motor side thrust angle. Does this make sense?

I would also like to add that this is my 69th post. Go me!

Edited By Shane Sunday on 28/09/2011 22:00:24

Having the right side shorter than the left makes sense to me. This means the firewall will be offset to the right, thus giving he's desired side thrust. No mention of down thrust though.

For me I have another project to finish before Christmas time, but I'm looking for my 2012 build (after Christmas), and at the moment is between this and either a Flair Pup or Top flite P40 (both electric conversions). The price of the FW (full pack) is a little less than the TP kits and more so than the Pup, but with the kits you get a lot for your money, very complete. Even with the full pack of the FW I take it we'd still need to provide accessories? Plus the TP/flair kits I can hope to pick up cheap off ebay or BMFA adds, no chance of that with the FW. So if anybody has a P40 or Pup kit, do let me know

prop.

Just for clarity, the RS1 , 2 & 3 should make the shorter right side. I had picked up the text error on the pre published plan showing the fuselage cut outline and advised RCM&E that RS should read LS...sounds like it may not have got picked up.

Plan is correct though when buy through my web site.

cheer all and happy winter building

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Before taking the plunge, I too was wondering how you more experienced builders were getting on with the build. (assuming someone is buidling it!)

The "blurb" also says it should be easy to convert to IC. How easy

Would it be just a case of installing the engine to the same bulkhead/firewall?
I thought converting electric kits to IC had to be "beefed up" but vice versa was ok.
Or is that to simplistic, maybe Tony "beefed" it up to take both in his origianl design?

I was thinking of a 75 IC? Would this be sufficent? I'm not sure how tyou work it out? Wing loading, palne weight etc comes into it soemhow!

Anyhow, your comments would be welcome.

Edited By David Ashby - RCM&E on 21/10/2011 13:19:36

Posted by Dougy Giro on 21/10/2011 13:15:04:

<snip>

I was thinking of a 75 IC? Would this be sufficent? I'm not sure how tyou work it out? Wing loading, palne weight etc comes into it soemhow!

Hi, I looked at this before deciding on the Spitfire;Brian Taylor used to fly a FW 190 of very nearly the same size and weight with a Merco .61 two stroke, and a Laser 70 four stroke has more performance all round so I was going to use one of those - an OS 70 FS doesn't have quite as much power (have one of those as well) but it's not bad and would probably be fine. Wasn't sure what sort of 75 you were thinking of but a 75 two stroke would (I think) be a bit of a handful.

Hope this helps...

A.

Thanks for the reply Andy,

Yeah, i should have said, i did mean a 75 ASP. Mmmmm to be honest i'd have thought with the FW190 weighing 8lbs ish and a 1400w eletic motor that this 75 would have been ok. In fact i was asking because i thought it might be under powered!!

But i dunno how these things convert !

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Does anyone have any idea how a conversion to IC might work?

PS - Thanks for moving to the right thread moderator

Hi All

I started on the FW190 over the weekend. Just to be different, I have scaled down the plans to 80% to build a 48" wingspan version. I plan to make some minor modifications to the construction style to save a bit of weight. I'm also going to forget about the flaps which shouldn't be necessary on a smaller model. I'll be using a 3S setup giving about 400Watts.

I'm hoping to get the airframe weight down under 1 kg and a flying weight (with electric retracts and a 2200mAh battery) of less than 1.5kgs.

So far the tail is built but it's slow going - no CNC pack for me!

Looking forward to seeing how others get on with this one.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by propogandhi on 09/11/2011 04:40:11:
nice work, please keep them coming, no problems so far then? What will your set-up be?

prop.
No problems so far, it goes together really well.

Because I have scaled down the plans to 80% I am using thinner materials (e.g. fuselage formers are 2mm rather than 3mm liteply) but all fabricated following Tony's construction approach.

I plan to fit it with a E-Max 2815 1100kV motor turning a 10x6 prop. I have the same setup on a 48 inch wingspan Mustang and it pulls around 38 Amps (circa 400watts) on a 3s 2200 lipo. This gives a nice scale-like performance. I will be fitting E-Flite's 85degree 15-25 retracts, Hitec HS-81s on the rudder and elevator and Towerpro MG-16s on the ailerons.

I will be attempting to mould my own canopy and will be fabricating a balsa and thin birch ply cowling. There is just enough room between the top fuselage stringers to shoehorn in the lipo, I can just fit a 3000mAh pack if needs be to get the CofG to balance.

Does anybody have any suggestions for covering? I don't really want to use film as per Tony's prototype; I was thinking of sealing and then appling a thin coat of PolyC, followed by primer and paint.

Posted by Shane Sunday on 11/11/2011 09:53:33:
This looks great Ruston. If I were covering using PolyC and wanted to keep the weight down I think I would use tissue as well. So seal Tissue and polyC. It wouldn't add much weight and almost no strength but It will be a better surface to paint onto.

Keep m coming.
Thanks Shane. How well do you think tissue will conform to the complex curves, particularly around the tail area and wing fairings? It was the thought of getting film to adhere in those area that made me look for an alternative covering method. I guess I could just use tissue on the main surfaces and leave the tail intersection and wing fairings without any tissue covering? I don't think strength is going to be an issue, the parts I have constructed are very robust so the covering is only going to be providing a nice smooth surface for the paint.

Progress has slowed this week whilst I wait for a tailwheel assembly that I have ordered to arrive. I need to get this mounted and the steering mechanism sorted before sheeting the top and bottom of the fuselage. Then it's on to the wings and cutting out all those ribs!