FW-190 builders thread......

propogandhi

Hello all you FW190 builders - I am still slowly getting there! Concentrating on the wings at the moment and trying to work out the best way to cut the retracts shape from the lower wing skins. I think I need to cut them out before attaching the skin as I can't see how I can do it afterwards and get them in the right place! Maybe a card template of some sort? What have you experts done? Also Tony suggests sticking the wings together before skinning - I think this would make it harder to hold the wings steady and avoid warping. Is there a reason I shouldn't skin them individually?

I am also looking for a suitable steerable tailwheel. It took me 3 purchases to get main wheels that were thin enough to tuck inside the wing, so any advice for the rear wheel would be welcomed.

Thanks

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello Tony / all

I'm looking for a suitable power system for the 190. Unfortunately, the 4-max motor is now unavailable.

Can anyone recommend an alternative motor/mount / ESC / prop combination? I tried TN Designs but they weren't too helpful I'm afraid.

Thanks

L

• 4 years later...

I'm looking to have a go at Tony's FW190, this thread seems to have ended quite abruptly and so does one on rc groups. I wonder if people lost interest or were disappointed with the result?

I've had one or two 'disappointing' plan builds in the past (but not Peter Millers!) and don't want to spend half a year making another

What I'm interested in are any errors in the plan (besides the LH/RH fus the wrong way on the free plan), does it need much lead in the nose, and how well does it fly.

Or would anyone recommend some other similar size warbird?

My entry from August 2012 above shows that it can be built into a good looking plane. It flew very well and it was my sons inexperience that caused the final crash. One thing has changed though, he's now flying airliners!

I'm even contemplating building another one in the lockdown, the part count is low, it's a great looking plane and it flew very well. I can't remember about any lead in the nose. I made sure that my chosen battery would fit through the ply engine bulkhead.

Not built Tonys, did Brian Taylors and enjoyed that, mods ? Well you could set to and do a blog, any bits you feel aren't right, a post will get you plenty help.

Adding lead ? It's a short nose, so proceed thinking you'll need lead, build carefully at the rear and plan to put gear as far forwards as possible, you'll maybe still need some lead, but with planning it'll reduce the amount, get it built. wink

I'll bear in mind your comments John.

I've got plenty of balsa sheet in stock that I 'bought for a rainy day' that will complete the build but for the wing spars I'll have to do a bit of substitution, using spruce and perhaps some lamination. I'll make sure they are strong enough though, I'm quite a seasoned builder.

Any advice/ pointers are appreciated

• 2 years later...

Help!

Anyone built one of these from the free plan out of the magazine and not from purchasing a replacement plan?

I have a 3/4 built wing and was about to start the fuselage to find a huge error that does not seem to be mentioned anywhere.

I am not referring to the Left / Right sides being labelled incorrectly.

I am referring to the fact that the W1 rib and wood sections for the leading edge measure 338mm from le to te.

The rib on the fuselage section, shows the rib and the gap between F2 & F4 as measuring 320mm!

It does measure 338mm from te to the front of the wing fairing.

How did any of you resolve this?