Best traditional scale kits

David Ovenden

What "traditional" scale kits have you got in your workshop? I was looking at the kits I have stockpiled in my workshop and thinking how lucky I am to have a number of "great" traditional kits to build. Increasingly (or do I mean decreasingly?) it's difficult to find any scale kits that are not ARTF's, so to have a number kits in stock is rather a pleasant situation to be in. My list is

Veron Hawker Tomtit, SIG Liberty Sport, a Krick Bucker Bestmann and a set of Laser-cut parts for the Jerry Bates 85" span Douglas Dauntless.

What's stored in your workshops?

• 1 month later...

I should not list what I have as my wife wants me to downsize, and clear out the workshop.  the kids have told me that as and when ....... , they are going to lock up the workshop and sell house as is.....   so much to do and so little time ....

but just on the scale side I have

Precedent Stampe bought partly built for a silly price,   Goldberg Extra 300,     Joe Bridi's Rearwin speedster,     Bud Nosen Citabria,     House of Balsa Pietenpol,     Balsa USA's Tipsy Nipper and also the EAA Biplane,    Dynaflite Spitfire and a little Hobby Lobby  electric supercub.

the daft thing is , I like building from plans

David, 

if that Veron Tomtit is the real back in the 60's ( ? )  kit, then it will almost certainly have a collector value.  I sold last year a Veron Concorde RC kit and 2 people who really wanted it chased the price up to £145 on ebay. 

Got me a nice 120 4 stroke on ebay from the proceeds

Hi guys,

Proctor from the USA are the best kits that I have experienced. I have a fokker E111 on the board at present, and it really is a joy...It's no quickbuild. I reckon I've spent 250 hours on it so far, and all I've got is an uncovered framework, with not a lot of detail on it, so maybe another 250 hours to finish it.

ernie

Mark you said you hope you will still be able to build when you retire,my friend TIME is the problem,since I retired early last year I find there isn't enough hours in the week,I honestly don't know how i managed to find time to work for the last 47 years.

SEASON'S GREETINGS EVERYONE,WITH A GOOD AND PEACEFUL 2008

mark,

sailor's comments on lack of time when retired is absolutely spot on.  I've never met any retiree who isn't up to his eyes in various activites including a lot of unpaid labouring and that's just at home

my unbuilt squadron is still unbuilt and growing - I took a leaf out of the female logic - i cannot resist a modelling bargain.

John,

Since starting this thread I have decided to sell My Tomtit kit and it's currently on the e place> Lots of interest. I decided to sell as my original Tomtit is still going strong sfter 300 flights and I still have the plans.

Time is ALWAYS the problem. I guess we enjoy building, or we wouldn't buy the kits. Actually getting round to starting and then finishing the models is another thing. Is it just me, or are there others that find that when you commit some time and energy to building.  progress can be pretty swift. Its just the gaps in between bursts of activity that are problem!

Anyone got a 1/4 scale Piper Cub kit they want to part with? I want to modify a standard kit to do a Super Cub.

I'm also looking for 3-views and photos of the DH Genet Moth - a DH60 Moth with the 5 cylinder Genet radial engine fitted. Anyone have anything?

I do agree with Peter Millar, I to draw my own plan and build from stock. I have drawn and yet to build a 36" Dehavilland Venom, a 36" Bachem Natter, a 48" Heinkel 219 UHU and a 42" Lockheed Lightening (why 42 " i do not know, now).

In kits

• Graupner "Adler von Lubeck"
  • Guillows Thunderbolt
  • Sterling Fairchild pt17
  • Coverite "Gee Bee model D"
  • A Pat Traekle Vega (I think yhat is what it is).
  • LN Monocoupe

I am about to start an other model when i finally finish putting sevos into my 36" Ta 152H Focke Wulf (own design), Finish the control linkage to my Gee Bee R2 (fantastic models).

As my other half says, why do you want another kit, the wardrobes a covered in kits and planes. The trouble is that i was out of modeling for 15 years, the restrictions on when and where you could fly killed it for me.  It is electric that caught my attention, but it took lipos brushless, and cheap light weight servos to bring me back. Clean, affordable, high power, low weight and quiet flight at last.

Regards

Erfolg  

Hi John,

Yes it went for a decent price, but these kits are getting pretty rare these days. I guess in the future decent scale builders kits will sell for more as demand exceeds supply. You can certainly build from plans or design your own, but there is something special about a kit in its box with accessories.

David