Seagull Boomerang

David Bess

1 hour ago, Mitchell Howard said:

If you choose to go tail dragger, be careful because the instructions just take you straight into trike and don't give you any options. If you were to build it in ignorance you'd have the rudder glued in before you could fit the tail wheel wire.

Many thanks Mitchell for that good advice.  I've just ordered the Boomerang and should have it on Monday.  

On 02/12/2021 at 02:06, aidan mcatamney said:

Thanks David.  My Saito 72 is on the Super Frontier Senior , an 80 inch wingspan cloned plane of the Sig Kadet Senior.  Its a Saito 62 I have lying around doing nothing at the minute.  I'm still tempted to try the new OS 52 fs on the Seagull when it arrives.  But if its underpowered,  I will change it right away for the Saito 62.   I remember the day I maidened my Kyosho Calmato Sports 40 with an OS 46ax.  I had to fly it at full throttle most of the time just to keep it up there.  I wasn't happy with the power, so the very next I arrived back at the field with its replacement   an OS 55ax.  Its was just perfect as I could throttle back.  At this rate of going David, the Boomerang could be vastly underpowered with the OS 52 surpass, but I'm going to give it a go as our grass strip is cut like a bowling green.    It will be very interesting.  

For my money I would always pick the OS over a Saito.  I have had a Saito 62 and still have 2 OS52s.  No longer have the 62.   I really rate the OS55 2 stroke and have 2 of these, 1 in an Acrowot and the 2nd is in a Hangar 9 Corsair 50in.  I also have a Boomerang and it ran on an Irvine 46 off grass.  Today I would chose an OS46 for it as it suits a 2 stroke and a 55 would be overpowering it.

Cheers LPP

3 hours ago, aidan mcatamney said:

Just for curiosity Dennis,  are the bulk of Boomerang trainers that you have come across set up as tryicle gear?    Have you seen many with the taildragger configuration?  

Not seen any Boomerangs as a taildragger.  Think this option came in with the latest version.  Mine was an earlier one.  The steerable nose-leg was always a bit iffy and probla-matic.  Fixed Nose-leg on grass is really a better option.  Looked at a V2 Boomerang manual on line a few days back and noticed the taildragger option which looks interesting.  Down to personal choice really.  I like taildraggers mainly.

Edited by Low pass Pete

The Boomerang is a good trainer able to fly well in a breeze. The undercarriage wire is not the hardest I've ever come across and you have to bend the main undercarriage back into shape from time to time but you'd have to do that regardless of whether you opted for the tail dragger or tricycle configuration. I am fortunate enough to fly off a smooth tarmac runway which is ten metres wide. I can usually manage to land it on on the tarmac most of the time so the steerable nosewheel has not been an issue.

My kit built electric 'Boomerang' has had both nose and tail-wheel set-up in it's continuing successful flying life.

Nose wheel, as always with these configurations needs, consideration and careful set-up to avoid the pitfalls of wobbly nose wheel legs and imprecise steering pushrod.

Main wheel wire I replaced with a 'Carbon Copy' one piece undercarriage = no more bending!

A good trainer if, IMHO, somewhat heavy so, prefer something lighter, (a foamie?), for teaching absolute raw beginners in calm conditions to start with.

Otherwise reasonable kit with the usual caveats to replace sub standard clevis, spinner, ensure well glued joints etc. 

I still enjoy flying the 'Boomerang' as a everyday 'hack' model and testbed for motors, props and radio gear.

Boomerang II #2.JPG

Boomerang II Carbon Copy UC #9.JPG

7 hours ago, Low pass Pete said:

For my money I would always pick the OS over a Saito.  I have had a Saito 62 and still have 2 OS52s.  No longer have the 62.   I really rate the OS55 2 stroke and have 2 of these, 1 in an Acrowot and the 2nd is in a Hangar 9 Corsair 50in.  I also have a Boomerang and it ran on an Irvine 46 off grass.  Today I would chose an OS46 for it as it suits a 2 stroke and a 55 would be overpowering it.

Cheers LPP

I have to say I'm a Saito fanatic. The Saito 62 is my favourite,  I've got four of them.  I d like OS engines also.  I've got two OS 55ax engines, extremely reliable they are.  One is in my Hangar 9 p51 Mustang 40, the other is in the Kyosho Calmato Sports 40 low wing.  I'm having second thoughts now about putting the the OS 52 fourstroke on the new Boomerang when it arrives.  I have two spare OS engines that have hardly been run that might be more suitable.  An almost brand new  OS 46ax and a very good running OS 46fx.  

2 hours ago, Capt Kremen said:

My kit built electric 'Boomerang' has had both nose and tail-wheel set-up in it's continuing successful flying life.

Nose wheel, as always with these configurations needs, consideration and careful set-up to avoid the pitfalls of wobbly nose wheel legs and imprecise steering pushrod.

Main wheel wire I replaced with a 'Carbon Copy' one piece undercarriage = no more bending!

A good trainer if, IMHO, somewhat heavy so, prefer something lighter, (a foamie?), for teaching absolute raw beginners in calm conditions to start with.

Otherwise reasonable kit with the usual caveats to replace sub standard clevis, spinner, ensure well glued joints etc. 

I still enjoy flying the 'Boomerang' as a everyday 'hack' model and testbed for motors, props and radio gear.

Boomerang II #2.JPG

Boomerang II Carbon Copy UC #9.JPG

Thats a great job you've done there with replacing the main wire gear with a carbon copy.   Had you to add any extra wood supports inside the bottom of the plane so you could drill new holes for the bolts?   Also can I ask you whete did you order it from?  Thanks.

5 hours ago, David Davis said:

The Boomerang is a good trainer able to fly well in a breeze. The undercarriage wire is not the hardest I've ever come across and you have to bend the main undercarriage back into shape from time to time but you'd have to do that regardless of whether you opted for the tail dragger or tricycle configuration. I am fortunate enough to fly off a smooth tarmac runway which is ten metres wide. I can usually manage to land it on on the tarmac most of the time so the steerable nosewheel has not been an issue.

I'm thinking now David instead of using the brand new OS 52 surpass on the Boomerang when it arrives next week,  I might keep it for another plane.  I have two spare OS engines both relatively new.  An OS 46ax and an OS 46fx.   Both run very reliably.  They might be better suited for the Boomerang.  ?

Aidan,

'Carbon Copy' is the name of an excellent company that produces a large range of undercarriage, cowlings and canopies.

These often are for specific model kits e.g. 'WOT4'.

No 'Boomerang' specific U/C (yet!) but you can easily work out which one to choose and order using their sizing guide.

http://www.carboncopyuk.com/

As for re-enforcement inside the fuselage to take the mounting screws, yes, I did add suitable hard ply plate this helps spread any loads too.

I'll try and find a pic of my 'tail-dragger' version which is eluding my search at the moment.

I like both styles i.e. nose-wheel & tail dragger as they teach and afford practice in managing different techniques of ground handling.

15 minutes ago, Capt Kremen said:

Aidan,

'Carbon Copy' is the name of an excellent company that produces a large range of undercarriage, cowlings and canopies.

These often are for specific model kits e.g. 'WOT4'.

No 'Boomerang' specific U/C (yet!) but you can easily work out which one to choose and order using their sizing guide.

http://www.carboncopyuk.com/

As for re-enforcement inside the fuselage to take the mounting screws, yes, I did add suitable hard ply plate this helps spread any loads too.

I'll try and find a pic of my 'tail-dragger' version which is eluding my search at the moment.

I like both styles i.e. nose-wheel & tail dragger as they teach and afford practice in managing different techniques of ground handling.

Many thanks for all your help.  

• 1 year later...
On 07/03/2012 at 05:06, David Bess said:

I am about to buy my first RC trainer kit a Seagull Boomerang has any one built one of these kits ,It comes as a combo IC SC46A , for 101 quid , was wondering about servos and build advice

Thanks

Considering the Seagull Boomerang as your first RC trainer kit is a great choice! When it comes to servos, opt for reliable ones and follow the provided build instructions for a successful experience. Happy flying!