2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

I do indeed martin with 3 mass build models (tucano, DF and BS) waiting for their 1st flight on the greenacres turf plus hopefully whatever gets chosen this year, though if the current voting trend continues then I'll be still learning to fly an autogyro lol

On the finishing front the difference of opinion we have seems to be the amount of work involved, I agree if spraying you will need to employ tack rags and ensure a dust free zone for the work but surely the finish can be so much better, and agree if you intend to brush finish the top coats then spraying the base coats is pointless and visa versa

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 28/10/2014 19:28:55:

PPS.

That compressor deal looks good but I bought a proper one from Screwfix for £60 some time ago. Hobbyking dual action air brushes are good and cheap.

The compressor will also pump up my car tyres and power a touch-up gun (£10 on ebay) which will spray any sized model you like.

Yes I do indeed have a bigger compressor Martin and said touch up gun but the noise of a bigger compressor can restrict the environment you can use it in, these ones work for all but huge models and pottering away on a sunday morning you still get no complaints from the neighbours they really are whisper quiet and run most airbrushes with up to 0.8mm nozzles thats pretty big for an airbrush, The hobby king airbrushes are pretty much the same guns as these you do need to look around for the right deal just stay away from iowata and badger even for the sake of your wallet unless your a banksy or similarly gifted artist these chinese brushes are perfectly good

Mike,

You may wish to check the posts in my 2010 to 2013 Tucano Makeover thread

**LINK**

Paint roller for main coats and final WBPU clear cote, I have had good success with Glassing and WBPU just brushing, wet and dry to smooth up, no reason why you could not use Gloss Water based varnish as your finishing coat, again paint roller would be good.

They certainly have their uses Chris and maybe I'm guilty of suggesting a to professional set up here.

There really is a good sized difference though between these single action un-adjustable brushes and the dual action infinitely adjustable ones, I made the change a year ago and can vouch that once you move over you'll never look back.

Of course a lot depends on what level of ability you require from your brush but things like fading in exhaust smudges for one are much easier to achieve when you can reduce paint flow during a sweep to reduce coverage without increasing the area it covers, any way this is fast becoming a painting and finishing thread and I suspect its my fault blush

I have something very similar to the pair you posted Phil, they are great for fine detail as you suggest. (Well they would be if I had the appropriate skills). I've not yet managed to cover an area with one though. Mind you my biggest is a 0.5, I guess a 0.8 would be better?

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 28/10/2014 20:33:39

Your quite right Chris 0.8mm is just over 2 square mm while 0.5 is 0.79 square mm so the volume of paint passing through for any given flow rate is over 2 x l/min and consequently the brush works twice as far away from the work piece so the area covered is over 4x as big something to do with the rule of the inverse square ask Dave he's prob got this sort of maths much more sorted than me lol

Edited By Phil Winks on 28/10/2014 20:53:06