Tony Nijhuis' new Vulcan

Now that really is awesome Tony!

I absolutely love the Vulcan,such an iconic aircraft just like its elder sibling the Lancaster.Will the 48 and 78 versions be available the same time as this?

The 48 one would be right up my street,and would still look quite large,thats the impression u get with deltas

Best Regards

Stevesmiley

Thanks Guys,

Some final testing this Hastings today at the flyin and a pretty near perfect flight.

Flying the Vulcan is an abolute joy but the landing can be a bit tricky........I have found the best appoach is to simply throttle back a let her sink naturally and then flair out. If you flair too early she rear up and air brake.....then you tend to run out of elevator to land smoothly. Trick is to be patient.

vul-1.jpg

rotation

vul-2.jpg

vul-3.jpg

and climb out. The non scale afterburners are 4 orange dichomic halogen 12v 20w (35mm dia) from Maplin on a simple servo microswitch which switches at 3/4 throttle....

vul-4.jpg

And a near prfect landing.....well with one bounce

No leave the leds in the tail pipe but just dim them quite a bit. However can we have a bit of imagination with the Markings. 558 is not the only prestigous Vulcan - XM607 has a better service history - or even XM597 both of which can be seen (RAF waddington /East Fortune). Oh great build though Tony.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I show you guys my 66" all depron Vulcan XH558? She is powered by a single pusher prop. AUW 5lb, 2 x 2200 3s lipos. In this photo she wasn't quite finished, but has now got all of her markings and extensive panel lines drawn on. She flies beautifully for around 9 minutes at less than half throttle. She even won "Best pilots choice" at the Sothern Area BMFA meet held at BMAC in September this year!

Daz

Hi Piers.

Thanks for your kind words. It is built over 6mm thick depron formers and ribs, just like how you would do with a normal balsa build. The skin is 3mm depron, and the fuselage section is individual panels cut to size to and shaped accordingly. The depron is curved over the rolled edge of a kitchen counter work top, or around a cardboard tube, and it holds it's shape really well. I use UHU POR foam contact glue.

I use the grey depron as this isn't as brittle as the white, and I find it curves a lot easier. Here's a photo mid build which shows both the framework and the individual skin sections. The nose section slides forward revealing the battery and electronics tray. Once it was all built I spent some time using lightweight filler where needed, and then careful sanding, down to 600 grit. I then used emulsion paint directly over the foam, which I then sanded back considerably, before using acrylic car spray rattle cans. My current depron build of a 76" Vickers Valiant http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=88851 will be finished with light glass cloth and water based polyurethane, rather than the emulsion paint, as this added a lot of weight, and took ages sanding back to get a fairly smooth surface.

Here's the link to the full Vulcan build on RCGroups if you're interested **LINK**

Kind regards

Daz

Edited By Depron Daz 393 on 15/10/2013 00:54:21

I managed to find on Google Images the 3 views with the formers and ribs already drawn all in one plan. I just had them enlarged at my local print firm for £20, and then cut them out and transferred to depron. The Valiant does not have any plans, and I can't use CAD, so I'm drawing and making paper templates. It's a long process, but no doubt quicker than trying to learn a CAD program. I'd probably be better off using Etch-a-sketch lol

I get my grey depron off Ebay, here **LINK** They are the cheapest and very quick delivery, I've never had any damaged parcels either. They do 3mm too, and they sell the white, but remember what I said about it being more brittle. Grey shapes better, and is kinder on your blades.

If I said that my Valiant build so far was only 4 evenings of cutting (not including redrawing) would you be more likely to give it a try? Use UHU POR glue (buy it from the site above, half the price of anywhere else!) but don't forget that it is a contact glue, so apply it to one part, put it in place to leave a trace on the other piece, and then remove it and allow 10 minutes to dry, and then put it back. It sticks like the proverbial brown stuff on a blanket!

Daz

• 3 months later...

Thanks Bernie for your kind words......

Steve, I have just finished building three 48" versions......a tractor (single motor in the nose)....a twin pusher and a 4x50mm fan version.......... all are ready to test fly but the first will be the tractor as it's the most conventional. All have retracts and AUW is 4lbs for all versions. Although the span only 48", the wing area is large so they should fly slowly.....I'll add some pictures in the next day or so.

The 78" is the next project.

We may do the 48" version as a free plan for the RCM&E special in September but its yet to be agreed