What is going on here then

Robin Kearney

Mmmm, curious. Well its obviously two transmitters linked so that exactly the same commands are given on each. My first I thought was its an attempt at one person flying two models - but there are two neckstraps - so I think we can assume that the device is meant to be used by two people - also the distance between the Tx's would suggest that - if just one person why not put then right next to each other?

So, two people each have a Tx, but they can't move the sticks independently? Puzzling. Do they think that they will be able to fly "syncro-pair" with this? I wouldn't have thought that would work in practice - the wind conditions and slight variations between the models would surely stop that from working. But its the only thing I can think of.

BEB

The buddy box suggestions might not be as daft as they sound - how many times have you told a learner "only small inputs are needed" for them to immediately bang the sticks from corner to corner in a mad festival of over-controlling?

Maybe the device allows the pupil to "feel" how much input the instructor is putting in? I know that full size instructors somtimes do this - by asking the pupil to lightly grasp the controls and "follow" the inputs of the istructor. Perhaps this is for a similar purpose. Seems a lot of trouble to go to to solve that particular problem though!

BEB

I think I'm coming round to that thought too. If you load up the full size image, you can see neither of the transmitters look like particularly featurefull. Maybe this is a solution to two incompatible brands, or low end brands without buddy box connectors.

It occurs that given a different set of sticks you could possibly even use this rig for Mode 1 to Mode 2 conversion!

I also like the little stack of spare batteries to the right of the left TX.

Edited By Robin Kearney on 28/08/2012 22:49:07

It's a work of art.

Perhaps some of the experienced RC instructors would comment, but to me it looks like it may be afantastic device for teaching novices. They not only get the control but they also get a feel for the control inputs required. Albeit, its a bit more cumbersome than rolling up the buddy lead.....

Tim

To be honest when I have had the odd pupil that really couldn't get the hang of "small inputs" I just set the master Tx up and fly the model. I then ask the pupil to place his thumbs on the ends of the sticks as I fly (I'm a finger and thumb merchant! So the ends of the sticks are free) That seems to work most times and is a lot less trouble. smile

BEB

It is an input trainer. I saw one in the mid 70's being used at a fly-in fun day. Only the 2 tx's were joined with dowl sticks and bent wire. Both sets were on a picnic table near the flight line. It was being used to teach complete novices to fly aero. Quite a few went on to fly solo the same day.

Makes real sense to use with rc Helis. Where the very fine inputs can take some time to master, for some individuals.