PB Models Bean - Any Tips

Tony H

Hi EarlyBird

Yes, I did notice that one as well. Ordinarily right up my street, but not at that price. As far as I know these are old stock which has probably been hanging around in the warehouse for a number of years. I think we all know what happens to kits in storage for a long time.

Wood drying out, veneer de-laminating etc. Might be untold issues with the kit, and I was not prepared to pay what I consider to be a high price for it.

Did ring SMC, see if he was prepared to haggle, I offered £225, which I would still consider high, but the reply was 'no lower than £250' at which point I said thanks but no thanks.

As a comparison I looked at the Crescent Bullet. Slightly smaller at 50" span, but otherwise very similar.  PB models still show these in stock at £135.

Seems a much better bet to me, if I was in the market for one.

Jeff

On 02/06/2013 at 10:12, Brian Austin 1 said:

/sites/3/images/member_albums/84314/439176.jpgI think from memory that it is 38" span. Yes it would convert to IC, but look better in electric as there is no silencer hanging down spoiling the lines. A good 20 would fly it OK.Have added a couple pics of the original./sites/3/images/member_albums/84314/439175.jpg

The Bean is a low winger whereas the Dwarf Bean appears to be a shoulder/mid winger or is that just an illusion due to the colour scheme? I wondered about buying the Dwarf Bean plan and scaling it up somewhat, as the Bean plan does not seem to be available. Unless, that is, someone has one stashed away in a dusty drawer somewhere?

Perhaps you still have the original Brian?

Edited by Piers Bowlan

Hi Piers, files on their way.

Meanwhile, you're quite right, the original Bean was a low winger where the Dwarf Bean was shoulder wing.

However I have taken a closer look at the model on SMC site and a bit puzzled.

The main picture seems to show Brian's prototype. Same colour scheme, same rounded fuz etc. Looking at the other picture which shows the box top would indicate that the model in the box could be built the same.

Trouble is there were some complaints earlier on in this thread that you couldn't achieve that look because the cowl (?) supplied was pretty much square.

Picture posted March 11 2017 shows this.

Granted it may be a nice flying model, but to me the streamlined fuz made the model. Sort of pylon racer look in an aerobatic model.

When I first posted about this model, I thought the price of £129.99 wasn't too bad.

Andy disagreed with me, and in hindsight he was right. Spending that sort of money on a kit which could not be made to resemble even the model on the box top, definitely a waste of money.

That's my thinking anyway, open to being disproved.

Jeff

Thank you very much for that Jeff, PM sent.

I think I may have taken a look at the self same Bean kit for sale in SMC some years ago! The foam wings were nice but there seemed to be very little else in the box, certainly no fittings or wheels etc. I don't recall there being an ABS cowl either. The kit didn't come with a plan which was a disappointment. The upshot was that I didn't buy it as I didn't think it great value for money. On reflection, I have never been a fan of ABS cowls in any event and £130 for a kit nowadays doesn't buy you much. ?

On 22/05/2022 at 21:02, Jeffrey Cottrell 2 said:

Hi Piers, files on their way.

Meanwhile, you're quite right, the original Bean was a low winger where the Dwarf Bean was shoulder wing.

However I have taken a closer look at the model on SMC site and a bit puzzled.

The main picture seems to show Brian's prototype. Same colour scheme, same rounded fuz etc. Looking at the other picture which shows the box top would indicate that the model in the box could be built the same.

Trouble is there were some complaints earlier on in this thread that you couldn't achieve that look because the cowl (?) supplied was pretty much square.

Picture posted March 11 2017 shows this.

Granted it may be a nice flying model, but to me the streamlined fuz made the model. Sort of pylon racer look in an aerobatic model.

When I first posted about this model, I thought the price of £129.99 wasn't too bad.

Andy disagreed with me, and in hindsight he was right. Spending that sort of money on a kit which could not be made to resemble even the model on the box top, definitely a waste of money.

That's my thinking anyway, open to being disproved.

Jeff

The Dwarf Bean was a full size plan to suit a mgazine. It was based on the original Bean but was shoulder wing mounted, so as to access the battery and for hand launching.

As to the ABS front housing, on the kit Bean, think this came about from using a radial engine mount, rather than wood bearers. This latter made building a balsa cowl area easier. You could replicate the original, using a radial mount, by making a 23/8" ply former. Mount it on the engine prop driver, allowing some clearance for the back of the spinner. This can now be infilled with balsa, around the engine. Remove motor and round off and fair into fuselage.

Picture of my latest build, showing this on the "Fiesta"

Also some pictures of my designs from the 70's, all were made locally within the club at that time, from a very basic plan I drew up then. The Bean and the Skydancer hen kitted by Saturn Models in the 70's, neither had plans, just cutaways to show construction. My old best friend Dave Mason sadly deceased, with the original Green Bean, which he built before me, as he loved the shape when he first saw it. That was the one that changed the name, from Skyliner to Green Bean as a wag thought it looked like a Runner Bean. The last B&W picture is of my version of the Fiesta, that was published in 1967. My version greatly simplyfied for a 35/40 engine and called Lorraine, in recognition of  colour scheme depicting the Cross of Lorraine across the top of the wing.

DSCN1094-001.JPG

DSCN1097-001.JPG

DSCN1096-001.JPG

DSCN1159-001.JPG

DSCN1188.JPG

DSCN1192.JPG

DSCN1195.JPG

DSCN1160-001.JPG

WIN_20220309_10_52_00_Pro (2).jpg

WIN_20220309_10_50_54_Pro.jpg

Edited by Brian Austin 1

Screen shot of the original plan of the Bean/Skyliner(on top of drawing)Showing the basic plan of the Skyliner, that ALL the originals were built from, before the PB Models kit came out. I have kept scanned copies of all my designs.

1503815608_Beanplanpaint.thumb.png.a9d425847fd3801ea4d8e3876a6154fe.png

Edited by Brian Austin 1

19 hours ago, Piers Bowlan said:

‘If it looks right, it flies right’?
Thanks for sharing Brian. I particularly like the look of your Fiesta -and The Bean (Skyliner), of course.

The Fiesta, is not my design, but one of my mentors in the 50's, Dave Platt. Published in August 1967 Radio Modeller magzine. The Mag never had the wing plan.I have never seen a reproduction of the Fiesta, in my time in aeromodelling, but I do have scanned plans for it now.

Radio Modeller 1967.jpg

4 hours ago, Jeffrey Cottrell 2 said:

Hi Brian

Surprised to find the Fiesta was designed so long ago. Such a modern shape.

I'd be tempted myself if my build schedule didn't stretch to 2026 or thereabouts.

Anyway, thanks for showing

Jeff

Better start saving up now, as there are approx 16 sheets 3/32 balsa X 4inch, needed for the wings alone.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have had it in mind, to re create the Skyliner/Bean, for some time now. To this end I obtained a kit from Paul at  P B Models. that had parts missing. But seeing as I had created it 50+ years ago now, decided that 2023, would be a good time to celebraate the 50 thanniversary of the design.

To bring it up to date, also electrified it. Plan is to re create Dave Masons original in green film covering,(his was the original one built) which earned it the nick name of Green Bean, due to the slim fuselage.

Some pictures of the build so far. Never liked servos haging outside the model, so 2 servos gangedti drive the strip ailerons with the rudder/elevators driven with tube & cable through ali tubes, glued to fuselge inside.

20230529_145850.jpg

20230813_115642.jpg

20230813_115719.jpg

20230813_115907.jpg

20230811_095241.jpg

20230806_111713.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Finished the the Skyliner now, apart from a mod to fit the Fox spinner to the mm shaft on the electricc motor. 

Fifty one years from the original flight., hence the decoration.

Note the wheels raked well forward and original fit Williams Streamline wheels 21/4" dia, from  old friend, thanks Nige.

Finish 1.jpg

Fiinish2.jpg

Edited by Brian Austin 1
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 01/12/2023 at 06:31, Piers Bowlan said:

Brian, it looks fast just standing still! What motor and LiPo did you fit? 

Have ordered 2, 4 cell 4000 li po's for it. Motor is geared Kontronik 480 -2800, that I had lying around, as I wanted to keep costs down.

I did away with the ABS moulding for the front, wanting a more streamlined shape, as was on the original, even though the original lost some of that, with the HP40 & silencer hanging out ( have noticed that a lot of those made from the kit, do not round the fuselage off enough, which misses out on the quartering in the build corners, leaving plenty of wood to cover this) . Also hate the modern idea of servos hanging out of the airframe, so used nylon tube a cable for the rudder/elevator, run through ali tubing glued to inside of fuselage. Also ganged two servos together to drive strip ailerons, in place of the one used on the original.(see picture in previous post) This allows the ailerons to be mixed for a flap effect for landing, although the original would land slowly by adding power to the up elevator, to drag it in.

• Like 2