Tucano power system chat

Hi can anyone help with the size of lipo i will need to power my lattest build.

The motor is a Turnigy 3542/5 1250kv, speed cont. is a Turnigy thrust 55a, the model weighs 2.5lbs / 1.3kgs without battery also the prop size and should i use a 3s or 4s.

The original set up was with an Axi 2820/10 with a 10 cell nicad and a 11x7 prop.

Many Thanks Pat. Checkley

(prelec @sky.com)

Patrick I just used a 3542 1250kv from Giant Shark. Not a turnigy one but very similar.

Using a 3S LiPo I was seeing something like 42A with a 8x6 prop and 50A with 9x6.
The 8x6 would be perfectly adequate for the Tucano, the 9x6 would probably be "balistic".

As for battery size, I'd put in the biggest capacity that will fit in the space. It has to be capable of doing those currents and the bigger you get, the longer the flights will be.

Have you seen that this exact model has been selected for the "mass build" elsewhere on this forum? This means that many of these models will be being built and discussed here in the very near future.

I Used a 3s 3000MAH with my AXI 2820/10 and 11 x 5.5 APC prop, it just balances with the battery right up to the F1 bulkhead.

If I were to do another I would be temped to use a lighter motor around 100gm (3536?) and a 2200 3s LIPO, and move forward the F1 bulkead to get the weight up front. Moving F1 really only works if your going without the UC.

Thats a saving of over 4 oz in weight and the need for less power to maintan the Power to weight ratio

Edited By Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 28/10/2012 12:02:01

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case it helps anybody this is the powertrain I have ordered (should be delivered this week). Based on the weight of the model and notes from other people this should be more than enough power on a 9x6 or just crazy on a 10x7 APC style prop.

NTM Prop Drive 3542 1250Kv

NTM 35 motor mounting pack

Turnigy Plush 60Amp Speed Controller

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 13/11/2012 23:37:04

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 13/11/2012 23:35:11:

Just in case it helps anybody this is the powertrain I have ordered (should be delivered this week). Based on the weight of the model and notes from other people this should be more than enough power on a 9x6 or just crazy on a 10x7 APC style prop.

NTM Prop Drive 3542 1250Kv

NTM 35 motor mounting pack

Turnigy Plush 60Amp Speed Controller

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 13/11/2012 23:37:04

.... But not if you plan to fit the undercarriage! You will be OK with the 9X6 but I fear that a 10x7 will be pushing your luck. I'm running a 3536 1450Kv with a 9X6 and only using the 2200 3 cell lipos I have. Enough power to fly the B schedule just! You need to manage momentum to get around the bunt, but flies very nice. I think your choice of motor would just give the little extra power to make the difference!

Mind you, it may also be time for some new batteries!

Just a small point here WF and Graham, I know I've been out of the loop a couple of years and these turnigy items are pretty much the mutts wotsits ! but, isn't there still a school of thought that suggests that the ESC needs for saftey's sake, to be between 50% and 100% overated. ie: for this 56A motor an esc rated between 75 and 112A ?

Otherwise this looks like a cracking set up although I'd like to see the prop data for this motor

Phil

Posted by GrahamC on 14/11/2012 07:48:08:
.... But not if you plan to fit the undercarriage! You will be OK with the 9X6 but I fear that a 10x7 will be pushing your luck.

GrahamC, I was basing my prop size on the notes in the build article. It says ground clearance will not allow for props above 11" but now I have the plan I can see that a 10" prop will be rather close to the ground especially on grass (our field has lots of bumps). I think adding 1/2" or more to the undercarriage length might be a good idea?

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 14/11/2012 21:08:54

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 14/11/2012 21:08:36:

GrahamC, I was basing my prop size on the notes in the build article. It says ground clearance will not allow for props above 11" but now I have the plan I can see that a 10" prop will be rather close to the ground especially on grass (our field has lots of bumps). I think adding 1/2" or more to the undercarriage length might be a good idea?

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 14/11/2012 21:08:54

Hi WF I would add that 1/2 inch to the nose leg and only 1/4 inch to the main legs this will give you 2 things, a better ground clearance and quite likely a shorter take of run due to the increased Angle Of Attack of the wings. I'd wait for some feed back on this point though as in this instance I may be a mile off

one final thought how wrong would it be to make this a tail dragger wink

Phil (Thinking too far out of the box devil)

My motor and ESC arrived today and wow the motor is a nice lump of metal

Phil, you may be right about the size of the ESC, the motor I have chosen has a max current of 56A so I went with the Hobbyking recommendation of a 60A ESC.

I picked a Turnigy Plush 60 because they are supposed to have a very good reputation and claims a max burst rating of 80A, a 70A or more might have been "safer", initially I don't expect I will be using full power that much so will see how it goes - I will probably need a new plane before I get to the point where I worry about pushing the limits of the power setup.

I have had a bit of a play with ecalc **LINK** and get good numbers with a 10x6 prop for my chosen motor (if the data is correct and only used as a guide)

APC 10x6e
LiPo 3S 4500mAh 25/35C

2002g of static thrust
Prop rpm 11491
Max current 39.25A
Top speed 65mph
Flight time @ full throttle 6.88mins

eCalc thinks that a 10x7 prop may stall and not reach max thrust, it says the same for a 9x6 but 11x6 is ok but very close to max motor current.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 14/11/2012 22:01:12

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 14/11/2012 22:10:07

ohh posting multiple replies one after another.....tut tut...

Thanks Tim I think I have chosen what looks like a great setup... phew thumbs up

Phil - good point about the U/C legs and making the nose leg a bit longer, it seems to make sense. I had also thought of it as a tail dragger but that feels so wrong (to me anyway)

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 14/11/2012 22:08:00

The mass build won't really start until the new year Tom so I would say join away.....

What motor are we talking about here?

A 45A ESC gets you an easy 350 to 400atts off a 3S battery & this will be plenty in the NH Tucano. I'd guess at a 10x7 or 11x5 prop on that kv if using a 3S battery.....ideally something around 3000mAh would be good!!!

HTH

Its the Foxy motor and esc ( C3020/10, Foxy 45a).... It was what I won for the letter of the month! Thank you all! It says Peak 450W ... ahh it recommends a 10X6 on 3s... you were right! whats the difference between a 10X7 and a 10X6? I know I had this explained to me what the numbers mean on a prop but I can never remember!

I did think it might be Tom.....wink 2 (well done by the way!!)

Should be darn near perfect in the Tucano I reckon......

The first figure is the diameter of the prop in inches.....the second figure is the pitch...ie the theoretical distance it will screw itself through the air every revolution. The higher the pitch the further the prop wants to travel for each revolution so a 7" pich will travel further than a 6" pitch.

This means that for a given rpm the 7" pitch prop will move further in a given time so it will be "faster" but I know you've been around long enough by now to know that few things in life are that simple.....a 7" prop will take more power to turn it so for a given torque will turn a bit slower....

The basic idea though is big diamter, low pich equals lots of low speed thrust but limits the top speed.....smaller diameter & high pitch equals a higher top speed but less thrust/acceleration from low speed....

As with most things in life....its a compromise....teeth 2

Tom, perfect I suspect, Its a dead ringer replacement for the old AXI 2820/10 which is in my Tucano mk1, that runs a 11x5.5 APC E prop. Nigel used to reckon the AXI motor on a 11x7 was a perfect combination,

I find with modern lipos ,a 11x7 overprops the AXI hence the 11x5.5

I am taking a different tack with mass build MK2 Tucano and going for a light weight lower power version. My chosen motor is this, currently in transit from Hong Kong mine is the 1000kv version

3536 1000kv motor from RCtimer

Model No.: A3536-8
KV: 1000
Weight: 102g
Motor Dimensions: ?35*36mm
Shaft Size: ?4.0x55mm
Prop/ recom: 10x6/11x5
Battery: 2-4Li-Po
Idle Current: 1.3A
Load Current: 11.4A
Power(Watt): 480
ESC(A): 40A

Edited By Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 16/11/2012 17:30:26

Edited By Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 16/11/2012 17:31:21

Thank you! First ever time I have been published in anything so I am so happy!

Ahh ok, thats good then! The tucano looks good!

I will have to remember that now! I was going to say before I read the other paragraph... put a 4X20 on it :D That sounds cool! Thank you for explaining that to me. So I could get away with either a 7 or 6... would the 3000man 3s still be the right battery? I was thinking maybe a gens ace?

Tom

Something around a 3000 or 3300 mAh should be fine Tom.....check you can get it in OK from the space available on the plan.

I think Nigel model originally flew with 10 x SC cells which weigh around 600+ grams so provided you're under this you should be fine.....

Do you need a new battery though.....? Do you have a couple of say 2200mAh packs you could connect in parallel & get a 3S 4400mAh pack??

Tim, had know idea there was such thing as a 11X5.5...now I do, thanks! That seems like a nice motor!

Steve, I do not do much electric, if any at all, I fly IC so I do not own any lipos unfortunately.... well I do one but I wouldn't put it in a model. I was planning on buying from giantshark. Am I better off buying 1X 3C 3000mah or 2X 3C 2200mah?

Hi Tom,

Interestingly in Tuc Mk1 I use a Turnighy 3000mah, fits no bother,

but  plan on only a 2200 mah 3s version for the Mk2  lightweight build, saves around 4 oz,

The Turnigy  from HK is only £12.87, maybe worth checking if they have them on the UK HK warehouse (not checked)

Edited By Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 16/11/2012 18:36:24

Posted by Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 16/11/2012 17:29:36:

Model No.: A3536-8
KV: 1000
Weight: 102g
Motor Dimensions: ?35*36mm
Shaft Size: ?4.0x55mm
Prop/ recom: 10x6/11x5
Battery: 2-4Li-Po
Idle Current: 1.3A
Load Current: 11.4A
Power(Watt): 480
ESC(A): 40A

I think there's some interesting maths goin on here, my understanding is V x A = W (correct me if I'm wrong) so a 4s bty is 14.8v x by load current 11.4A = (according to my calculator) 168W a little low for the tuc lol surely the load current should read 32.43A to achieve the rated 480W on a 4s bty ????? Like I say enlighten me if I'm wrong please.

Phil (confusing maths dept)