Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

17 minutes ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Any 2 stroke petrol can be made to be quiet.  You just need to spend money, and have the space to accommodate, suitable silencers.  Expect to pay between £60-£90 for such silencers.  

You won't get a lovely 4 stroke sound but the noise is quite acceptable once you properly silence them.

This might suit

https://www.tjdmodels.com/product/muffler-silencer-for-dle-30dle-35ra/

You may may have to experiment. A Pitts muffler may stop the canister appearing out of the cowl

You might also want to see this (https://www.propguy.co.uk/silencers-and-canisters) although you would need to build in room for the canister in the fuselage and it might prove difficult to do so.  These types of silencers are far superior to Pitts types in how the engine sounds and its ability to pass the noise test.  Avoid the cheap canisters as they don't work anything like as well.

Currently have a dle 30. Dal 32 and a ngh 25 to look at. Also an evolution 20,  but the unpumped version,,,,,,

,comments welcomed on all the engines?‍♂️

The dla 32 is the only one that says 40 or 50:1 for oil content which would suit aspen 2  fuel and would run at reduced throttle to assist in noise issues

Thanks Bill

I may have missed an earlier comment William,  but why so keen on a petrol engine. I have a Laser 180 in my Stampe and it is a perfect match. 25 years ago My first Stampe had a Laser 150. That model was 2 lbs lighter and the match was equally as good. People at our patch love the quiet scale like sound. Look at the second hand values of Chinese petrol engines and compare it to a British made Laser. If you are worried about glow fuel goop on your model it doesn’t happen with the new Laser Pro fuel. One wipe with a cloth after flying and it’s clean as.

• Like 2

Flew my Stampe for the first time today, boy it is a great flyer, so scale like in the air on coupled rudder, the electric conversion is spot on, 2 x 3700mah packs in parallel on a 20x12 Turnigy wood prop. First flight i set the timer at 5 min, actually flew it for 5 1/2, battery capacity check showed 26% used. Second flight set the timer for 6 min, on landing i still had 46% left. So three 6 min flights from the one paralleled pack would still leave plenty to spare. I already had the motor/esc and batteries so in the end it was a no brainer for me, With a full recharge time of 1 hour if parallel charged that is 6 flights, i always take more than one plane so whilst charging i can have three flights on something else...........a good days flying, second picture shows the battery hatch on the underside of the cowling.

244726492_568704601071047_5574265415447241536_n.jpg

244653478_378588960647414_9219383129525878624_n.jpg

Edited by martin collins 1
  • Like 2

Ok Nick. You have convinced me to forget another petrol engine.

I currently have a dig 84 inch spacewalker 2 ,as a testbed/running in hack for my laser 180 petrol.

The stampe being the airframe of choice.

My hannibal has a Zenoah 26 both run on aspen 2.

I have a jabberwok with a st2000 which was for the 2 stroke petrol.

However, you have now stopped me being drawn,completly, to the "dark side".

My secondhand laser 150 should arrive at the end of the week. It may end up in the stampe !!

Bill

20210912_145829.jpg

20211008_154257.jpg

20211008_154328.jpg

204193299_2673751292925847_2099728692212866109_n.jpg

• Like 1

I have never coupled the rudder with ailerons on my Stampe because it does not need it. Different story with my Laser 70 powered DB Tiger Moth and my little Mercury one. Neither rolls well with or without coupling but they both yaw rather than turn with aileron alone. By changing to high rate rudder in flight I can switch off the coupling.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Nick Somerville said:

Stampe kit for sale today on BMFA classified for a unbelievable bargain price. With the price of balsa these days you would be hard pushed to find a better deal for a decent sized builders model. Now if I didn’t have one already ?.

Simon Lawson is the seller great modeller, and all round good egg.....

Precedent Stampe Kit

Cheers

Danny

• 4 weeks later...