Maiden Flight

Sat. 10-11-12 had the maiden of my 54'' elect. Tucano today i started this build before it was elected as next years mass build i must admit i was pleased to learn of this news, I have had so much fun with the smaller version that i built years ago.

I started with three fast taxis up the the strip to check out the tracking an get my confidence all seamed ok, throttle opened up to full tap the model zoomed away at break neck speed i eased off on the elevator and took a nose dive then over compensated on the stick by this time the tuc. was over at the far end of the field above the trees doing a fantastic array of acrobatic's i'm not sure if this was intentional how ever once i had come to my senses i eased off on the throttle to half way brought the model around to face the strip ( at this point it surprised me at how quickly it slowed down to a manageable speed) and allowed me to land on the strip even if it was down wind at least no bin bag yet!

The next flight i had John Dickison our chief trainer at my side to give me support, Once again i opened up the taps then closed to half throttle once airborne this gave us time to judge the problem it turned out that 80% of down trim was needed (i had set the elevator dead level with the stab) however i was now in control and enjoying a couple of circuits to end in a slow and acceptable landing on the strip this time up wind.

Sun. 11-11-12 i adjusted the elevator via the snake and clevis and brought the trim on the trany. back to zero and gave her a good ringing out down at the strip .

Roll on my next flight (what an aircraft)

Pat. Checkley (wicken model aircraft club)

• 3 months later...

Hello Patrick,

Interesting comments , I finished mine some weeks ago, it has been hanging from the cabin roof,

I am not very happy about my finish I used chrome shrink film , should have gone for a RAF colour scheme however, I will be test flying it as soon as the weather improves , as if I get the shakes I do not want to blame it onto the cold winds. I will be taking your comments on board as the model does look rather slippery to me , but to be pre-warned is to be pre armed as they say !!

I hope you keep here in one piece and make it to Greenacres and that goes for myself too..I will look out for you if I get there.

Kind regards,

Donald Marriott...(.RMAC club)

Hi Don thanks for your coments iv'e had eight flights so far all of them successful and fun iv'e taken her high cut the throtle with loads of up elevator and keeping her steady with aileron usage she dos'nt want to stall i'm most impressed.

My model is r.a.f. colours black with yellow trims iv'e just recently added two jet pilots and can't wait to fly her in better weather.

I to hope to go to the Greenacers fly in with two tucs. 45'' and 30'' my lattest winter build Maricado, mamselle, and triple treat glider, if i can put wheels on my workshop that is i also intend to camp over the weekend in our camper.

regards Pat. Checkley