Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread

Martyn K

Just seen this thread so heres my two from a few years back (reposted here for completion!).   Curare is now being repainted after a "mishap" and the magic is a little tired so will be refurbished one day soon!  The original built up curare wing (built in 1983 ish) is on the magic with altered wingtips.  Both started life with Webras but now has OS65 on the curare and Novorossi 61r on the magic.

CIMG2112.thumb.JPG.0ffa4eff62e4f684b10164814bb993b3.JPG

• Like 4

Recent (ish) build for new, maidened a few weeks ago.

Steve Burgess Challenger, 1984 plan in RCME:

20240127_154220.jpg

20240127_154207.jpg

Power is an OS 61 SFP with a Brian Gardner liner and Macs pipe.

Edited by Nigel R
  • Like 3

Forgot to say, and for those who cant read the stickers or notice them... Dave Smith Excelsior 150..

Undercart moved out of wings to just in front of the leading edge on the fus.. better on grass strips.

I do find models from this era tend to fly very very well indeed, as they had to be designed for that. Once the ARTF Extra, Yak's edges etc came in, they kind of took over, but if you get a chance to build something from back in the day, I have found they are really nice to fly and are improved even more by modern radio, materials and power plants, leading to lighter AUW.. etc..

Edited by extra slim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedBaron said:

These all look so great!

It would be very good if RCM&E would republish all of these (and others) preferably with plans and preferably suitably modified for electric.

Lots of these resources are available via the UK Classic Aerobatic Association.   If this piques your interest it is well worth a look, and welcomes new members.

BTC

1 hour ago, extra slim said:

Forgot to say, and for those who cant read the stickers or notice them... Dave Smith Excelsior 150..

Undercart moved out of wings to just in front of the leading edge on the fus.. better on grass strips.

I do find models from this era tend to fly very very well indeed, as they had to be designed for that. Once the ARTF Extra, Yak's edges etc came in, they kind of took over, but if you get a chance to build something from back in the day, I have found they are really nice to fly and are improved even more by modern radio, materials and power plants, leading to lighter AUW.. etc..

Big difference between a modern 3D, Extras et al and classic F3As, isn't there?   Your small Excelsior is the first I flew, bought in club auction purely for its Saito NIB engine which was soon upgraded to a 100.   Persuaded to fly it anyway, it's a revelation in comparison with aforesaid 3D.   Track very straight and largely docile, but capable of accurate classic schedules (not by me, obvs).   Have a 188/Yamada waiting to pluck up the courage when the strip is drier.

You a UKCAA member?   If not, you ought to be as you clearly have the same genetic deficiency as the rest of us.   BTW I have Extras, Yaks etc and a Sebart Angel also awaiting maiden but if I had to pick it would be an F3A.

BTC

A classic aero on electric power? Sheer sacrilege. Go to the naughty step.

Tried my 48" Dalotel on it once and despite more power it flew like a pig compared with an OS 25 FX in it. I have tried this swap on several other models including The Ohmen and a Limbo dancer with the same result, just don`t ask me why but they seem to get rather reluctant to change heading, possibly due to the gyroscopic effect of the fast spinning outer rotor.

2 hours ago, Bruce Collinson said:

Big difference between a modern 3D, Extras et al and classic F3As, isn't there?   Your small Excelsior is the first I flew, bought in club auction purely for its Saito NIB engine which was soon upgraded to a 100.   Persuaded to fly it anyway, it's a revelation in comparison with aforesaid 3D.   Track very straight and largely docile, but capable of accurate classic schedules (not by me, obvs).   Have a 188/Yamada waiting to pluck up the courage when the strip is drier.

You a UKCAA member?   If not, you ought to be as you clearly have the same genetic deficiency as the rest of us.   BTW I have Extras, Yaks etc and a Sebart Angel also awaiting maiden but if I had to pick it would be an F3A.

BTC

I'm not actually, but have considered many times. I too have the run of the mill extra's, 3D stuff and enjoy those, but as you say, the F3A stuff from that era tend to be a positively different experience altogether. The model which I fly alot and has a little of both is the Fliton Inspire 60 with a YS... probably my favourite to fly. I'll look out for the UKCAA meet ups, but from memory, not too many near Manchester