Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread

Martyn K

Hi Terry I am the proud owner of the Jupiter its all balsa the retracts are indeed red i was never sure of the make although they are air up air down.

When I bought the Jupiter it had a purple and lime green scheme, I changed this to a black red and yellow scheme in the eighties followed by the colours its in today. I think the original purple/ green scheme was sprayed on as there is evidence of over spray in radio compartment subsequent schemes were hand painted with spectrum and solartrim

The model came to me with an OPS 61 with tuned pipe and with the red retracts and it still has this combination fitted today although the retracts have recently had new tubes and O rings

It is my favourite model along with the Capricorn, the Jupiter is still flown and apart from ensuring the retracts are functioning and not sticking up in the wheel wells still performs nicely.

Well hello Derek with one of my original Jupiters! That's a real turn up. I'd not heard of any surviving for a great many years! Yes, I did paint one in purple/green, sprayed. This would have been 1982 I guess. Powermax imported these retracts & they were excellent. I preferred them over Rhomair. I never used OPS motors. Whatever does it weigh since all the paint jobs it's had??

The retracts like some 3in1 oil inserted into the pipes. I do have a new spare nosegear assembly + 2 spare used twin sprung nose legs & a pair of used main legs.

Did you buy the Mike Birch Capricorn also? Is it one of Mike's..?

Terry the Jupiter has put on a little weight over the years and weighs about nine & half pounds.

How many Jupiter's were made and what number do you think mine is ?

The Capricorn I bought in 1978/9 as an un started part kit consisting foam cores ,fibreglass fuz and a couple of formers. Not sure of is origin possibly an early Mick Reeves Kit, this stayed in the loft until 2000 when I decided to build it .

It has fixed undercarriage and powered by Irvine 72 again the weight is about nine & half pounds.

Wow, that's quite weighty! Just shows they can deal with the extra weight though. There's a few coats of paint on there! I'd guess your example would be number 4. I'd love to see the model sometime this year, I could then perhaps be more sure which version it is. I made a rear exhaust, internal piped version just before yours... I think. The 'trend' over that next year was to go this way. I loved to build, fly & develop a nice flying design & was constantly working in balsa to produce the next, hopefully more competent version. I'm still amazed that a model of it's type has survived all these years.

I was not aware that Capricorn was FG'd. Is the 72 on a pipe of some kind? I've not seen mention of Mike Birch's Moonglow on this site; I thought that was a real nice looker. Little bit Kwik Fli Iike.

The extra weight doesn't seem to bother it and I will let you know if i am taking the Jupiter to any events this year, or if you are ever down near Chichester let me know.

The Irvine 72 has standard silencer and I have never found the Capricorn lacking power but sure it would perform better on a pipe. I have always liked this type of model since I started flying in the seventies and hopefully I can keep the Jupiter and Capricorn flying condition.

I remember the Moonglow but not heard if anybody has one I agree it did look nice.

I would love to find out more about the Jupiter and did you have any wins with it in the premier class?

Interesting & not so surprising to hear Jupiter is undisturbed by the extra weight Derek. Altho I preferred a lighter model, there were those who actually balasted their F3A models. Some were up to the 11lb mark! A really good motor was required for that weight of course.

I wish I could assure you I won some events with your model. These were my early days learning both model design, flying technique & forming a style I was passionate about displaying. All too much for a 'rookie' to make the top spot just yet..! I suspect your model got me into 4th a few times.

Posted by terry westrop on 26/02/2013 22:35:37:

I was not aware that Capricorn was FG'd. Is the 72 on a pipe of some kind? I've not seen mention of Mike Birch's Moonglow on this site; I thought that was a real nice looker. Little bit Kwik Fli Iike.

I had a Moonglow back in the early '70s absolutely lovely model to fly, flew first with a Merco .61 then an HP61.

I also had a Moonglow, back in '76. It is a pretty F3A model. Bit small really @ 60" wing I believe? But the fuz length was well proportioned. Mine was not set up well I recall, early days for me, didn't know much about aerodynamics then! Inset ailerons + belcrank with 1 standard servo in the middle = useless roll response! I did make another but sold it before flying when Jupiter arrived on the scene. Can't recall what motor I used, but not a merco. I should have the magazine plan feature someplace.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Charles. The pic is 1983 also! I have other pic's I'm trying to upload when I can. Derek has yet to confirm it is the model he currently owns, but I think it is. It would not be impossible to build using your Superstar plan. However, I flew Hanno's designs (Sicrolly & Curare) after Superstar & altho they fly similar, I used the later models as main platform for Jupiter, hence the anhedral stab. From memory Curare had 4 1/2" total anhedral, Jupiter 3". Jupiter wing sections are slightly thicker & wider chord to allow a slower flight envelope, as per Superstar! I still have plans for all these models, so could check things for you as necessary. Tail moment would be longer too & shows in this pic. Jupiter was far more capable than I back then!

Classic aeros has a great potential, not only for prospective pilots, (not to mention proper model building) but entertaining spectators also. I'll do all I can to help this interesting little venture succeed.

Terry thanks, it sounds as though you mixed and matched the same two model that I did, but you probably knew what you were doing! I had the Superstar FG fus and Atlas plans for the wings and tail, and liked the look of the anhedral tailed Curare, so that's how I made mine.

I like the idea of a longer tail, makes it easier to fly smoothly. And the slower wing section.

For me it has to have that lovely fishy fuselage and the anhedral tail. The Curare fus is not to my eyes as elegant.

I understand that the relationship between the wing dihedral and tail anhedral is important to get a neutral model. I suppose there is nothing to prevent building a plug in wing to make later dihedral changes easier.

Regards,

Charles

I never was one for FG. Balsa allowed me to be more creative. You are quite correct, wing/stab relationship is important. But it also relies on fuz area/displacement about the datum line. More anhedral allows the stab to be mounted higher above the datum. But then more dihedral may be necessary. Plugin may work, not something I commonly use. Can you get plugins with adjustable dihedral? Can't quite see how it could be done.

Small World Martyn! I recall Clive going through some bad times when he lost his wife Yvonne. I've not heard a great deal since, particularly in recent years. Hope he is still around, he was a prolific builder of original desgns, all very well built too & always enthused with aeros. He'd be a good man to have along with this venture, loads of experience from the 'old days' of F3A. He placed 7th just below Ken Binks in the '76 Nationals.