Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread

Martyn K

Posted by terry westrop on 12/03/2013 14:28:56:

Small World Martyn! I recall Clive going through some bad times when he lost his wife Yvonne. I've not heard a great deal since, particularly in recent years. Hope he is still around, he was a prolific builder of original desgns, all very well built too & always enthused with aeros. He'd be a good man to have along with this venture, loads of experience from the 'old days' of F3A. He placed 7th just below Ken Binks in the '76 Nationals.

I left BA in 1977. I worked with him in 1975 IIRC, I was working in the maintenance hanger for European Division. He was a supervising engineer. I lost touch after I left BA, but I had happy memories working with him - also a certain amount of awe as well. He used to wind me up a bit about flying Free Flight, but he was only kidding. There was about half a dozen aeromodellers on the same shift. Great days

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 12/03/2013 14:48:48

Hi Terry great picture of the Jupiter it has to be my model with that colour scheme.

I bought the model at the Chichester club auction from someone who was flying it in competitions, not sure at what level and from what I can remember he sold it to fund newer model.

His friend also had a similar model for sale at the same auction possibly another Jupiter, I do remember that they used to fly these models at our site occasionally when practising for competitions.

There seems to be a great deal of interest in this design hopefully I can get to one of the meetings this year and fly it

Firstly Martyn; do all engineers turn into aerobatic pilots dont know I too was apprentice trained in Mech eng. Clive ran lots of F3A comp's down south, RAF Odiham often, great venue. I recall one of my early comp's, Beaulieu, New Forest. I'd no idea where this was & as I was to experience, it's not easy to find. Clive invited us to stop by onway, take us there. He was always very helpful. We all started with free flight, certainly good exercise!

Derek...pleased we now know which Jupiter you have. I too, would sell one model to fund another. Best way to develop any given type swiftly. I generally changed the scheme/colour, even if subtle manner. Wonder who had the other models...? I'd love to be there to see your example fly again.

Here's my very first Jupiter,Jupiter 1 1980. All balsa too................

Quite correct Martyn, Aeromodellers indeed. But I suspect almost every aeromodeller likes to see their model perform aerobatics @ some time. I recall my free flight glider performing a roll on the tow line, even tho' it should not have sarcastic think CG was a bit rear.....dihedral insufficient.......stab too small......mmm. Was quite exciting at the time.

img004.jpgimg003.jpgA few photos of my models from 1976/1977.

Super Star, OS Gold Head, Futaba M series, fixed U/C, my first proper aerobatic model.

Curare, HP 61, ED pipe, retracts, M series, demolished through a wire fence!

Vertigo from Frank van den Bergh, OS61, Simprop radio ( I worked for Micro Mold who were the importers at the time). A real rocket ship if I remember correctly.

Just building another Super Star, plan cost £14.95 this time, not 75p as on the original.img002.jpg

That was a while ago John! & you've still got the mag! Hope readers here can see why I'm enthused about the 'regeneration' of older aero models. LD was inspired by the likes of Moonglow, Upset, Kingpin & many others. Great that my writings have awoken your desire to play with balsa again. The suit was Kevin Crozier's idea, (RCM&E Ed). It certainly attracted lots of attention that year, introducing a little humour into what was often a very intense F3A environment.

Oh...yes, LD is far too new for this venture John. I've still got a LD II + Hanno set up.

A 'Vertigo' with any 61 would indeed be rather rapid! Some nice models there.

Edited By terry westrop on 15/03/2013 20:58:46

Hi Terry....Is the Capricorn the model Mike Birch used on BBC Model World?. Yes it's a real shame the Loaded Dice is too new. I keep planning to build one for electric power but i would have to mould my own canopy and cowl as these seem no longer available.

Andrew

Hi there Andrew, you just caught me as I was responding to posts elsewhere on this site. I had no idea Mike Birch + Capricorn was on tv.

I am just starting an all balsa LD 30 EP (new design) based on my LD 40 that Newman Precision Aeros kitted back in the early 90's. Hopefully I can use one of my LD 40 canopies. I have a spare motor/esc so thought, why not! Gotta be better than the ARTF's. Cleverly designed structures they certainly are, but the materials.....face 8

I have also asked 'Punctilio model spot' Hinckley who made the forms for LD 40 if they can locate the moulds to allow more canopies to be formed. There was no cowl on this design, only the competition versions.

I still remember my Swingers in that 'almost finished' state Jeff. Side mounted is preferable for all the reasons. Mine was obviously upright using silencer pressure & worked fine. Which canopy did you use here? Swinger'll be easier & much more accurate to fly than the Mustfire, but not possess the 'Vintage' presence.

I installed an OS 61 Goldhead + standard silencer in one example, was well adequate!

You've gone for strip ailerons then...? Think that'd be my preference now.

Posted by terry westrop on 16/03/2013 20:41:48:

Well Andrew, I've no idea if RCM&E would want the design, however, I must build & prove it first. That'll take a bit more time yet. Canopies may be available if we can locate the masters within Punctilio Mouldings, get them to cast a few.

I think you can be certain we would Terry,smile thumbs up

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 18/03/2013 11:02:19

We need more aerobatic designs for real aeromodelling! Look forward to RCME publishing a new Westrop design.

But a new design wouldn't be a classic would it? So perhaps we need a 'Post Classic Thoroughbred' class for new designs in the classic construction materials!

In my short time back aeromodelling it is apparent that the world has been saturated with ARTF models & I presumed that was what the average modeller wanted now. It's rather a shame because if this trend continues we will lose the basic design & craft skills that were once in abundance.

When I have looked @ current F3A trends would I be correct when saying there are no UK designs out there now?

Kc......I suspect this new venture into classic aeros will be well pre-occupied coping with developing the basics without expanding into new areas, just yet.