Martin's i.c. Tucano

Hi all,

I said sometime earlier that I may do a smelly i.c. one of these and a little larger. Having built and flown Nigel`s version I got to quite like it, so I have designed one for 52-63 power with the retracts again and this time flaps to boot. The wing structure is almost identicle to my earlier one and will not go into this beyond the pics to follow. It is hopefully reasonably to scale. The fus design is not completed as yet since I have only just received the canopy from Vortex (380mm, CN32), but will post pics as it progresses.

martins i.c tucano 001.jpg

martins i.c tucano 002.jpg

martins i.c tucano 003.jpg

martins i.c tucano 004.jpg

martins i.c tucano 005.jpg

martins i.c tucano 006.jpg

martins i.c tucano 007.jpg

martins i.c tucano 008.jpg

martins i.c tucano 009.jpg

martins i.c tucano 010.jpg

martins i.c tucano 011.jpg

martins i.c tucano 012.jpg

So that is as far as I have got, plus the tail which is from built up consruction. Much more to follow.

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. It gets easier after the first fifty odd years.

Anyway, now that the wings and tail are done I have been doing the fus formers which are not easy with only a ruler, square, protractor and compasses and hopefully these will fit the canopy and the rest of it. This really is model design in its infancy.

A few pics of start of the fus construction.

The 3 3/16 sides are spliced together and sanded then the outline and formers drawn on through the plan with Stephen`s carbon paper (the only brand which works on balsa).

The side is cut then the other one from that.

A former is added plus a small one 8" behind on the only two parallel points on the fus to aid alignment. The latter can be removed later.

F4 and 5 were added with the fus held over the plan and the centre lines sighted up to hopefully avoid a banana shape. The firewall was made up using laminated 3mm and 5mm liteply and will be added next after determining the angle of the motor and the position of the nose retract unit.

The retract mount is made from 2x 3mm ply laminated and the slots to take this cut in the firewall.

These are spot glued together over the plan.

The whole assembly is glued to the fus with thin+medium cyano-not epoxy since the cyano reaches parts which other glues don`t. Hardwood reinforcing will be epoxied in place later.

The retract and motor mounting T-nuts are added and checked for correct retraction and motor/silencer fitting. The tank base is glued in place. Tank cut outs can be done. That`s it for now folks.

• 2 weeks later...

OK thanks for that Simon. It is fairly advanced now but I shall post some more of the fiddly bits. The parts I do not have pics of such as the fin, rudder and tail construction can be explained in words. These are not made up from conventional ribs but are done by cutting blank pieces of balsa to the max thickness of the part, glued to the LE and TE then sanded to section with the exception of the tail which had a ply centre and tip cut to the intended section then the rest sanded to these. They were then sheeted with 1/16 medium balsa.

OK then, here is a bit more.

The wing tongue is cut ready to glue in once the wing is bolted down.

Wing bolt plate fitted then balsa covered.

Mounting plate fitted parallel to wing undersurface.

Motor and u/c formers in place and reinforced.

1/32 ply glued to fus.

Fairing blanks roughly cut and glued to each other, not the fus or wing.

Blanks roughly planed to shape and glued in place.

Sanded to shape.

Servo plate in place.

Rear noseblock.

Tail and fin aligned and fitted after wing bolted on.

Cockpit base.

Underbelly fairing marked out using a wing root template.

End plates fitted. Can be covered prior to glueing in place.

Filler pieces added to underside then shaped to blend with wing fairing.

Next will probably be the cockpit and the glassfibre cowl, but these will be long jobs.

Thanks for all those comments guys; it makes it all worthwhile.

I was hoping to do a video blog of the whole thing but the camera(s) have only just arrived, are difficult to use and I have not yet worked out how to post on u-tube. Maybe something on the rest of it later. such as covering. Pics of the next stages to follow, but this may take some time.

This is, of course, just a general guide to building techniques since this is not a published plan or anything but I hope that at least some of it will be useful.

Martin

Perhaps the Ashbys would be interested in publishing your plan Martin? The construction looks excellent and I am sure it would be popular, especially at that size. Could make a good electric conversion too with a removable hatch in the top for the battery. Perhaps get the first flight out of the way first! Looking forward to the rest of the build.

Next stage so far.

The pilots, seats, dashboards and canopy added. Not much detail here as I am useless at it and you cannot see very much in there anyway. A little filler around the canopy edges has been used.

The balsa plug for the glass cowl is starting to take shape. The temporary ply plate is to hopefully get this aligned with the nosering.