precedent hi boy

Adrian Day

Having had a few Hi Boys, here are some suggestions:

• Turn the noseleg round when it gets bent back. It will then straighten out a bit with each arrival
  • Replace the noseleg saddle clamps with some softer nylon ones (I used some old Micromold ones). The SLEC ones aren't deep enough and are already under stress just by tightening them down. The noseleg will rip a hole in the bottom when they fail.
  • Keep the main legs straight. Once they bend back you will struggle to do a straight takeoff run. Swapping them left for right once they get bent, will give toe-in which helps straight tracking.
  • Keep the gaps to a minimum on all control surfaces.
  • If you get a Mk1 Hi Boy, the mainlegs are too far back. Moving them forward will seriously reduce the take off run.
  • Incorporate some aileron differential by connecting the aileron pushrods ahead of the centre of the servo disc.  Turns will be much nicer (using a bit of rudder too, also works).
  • Consider solving the bulk of Hi Boy issues with an alloy main undercarriage and a steerable tailwheel. I had one like this, fitted with an OS 40FSR, which was a delight to fly.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 19/04/2017 20:52:38

This is a Mark One Hi Boy. Note the long tank hatch, and steep 'windscreen' with sharp corners, wide chord at the top of the fin and unusual main legs with rearward location and vertical portion next to the wheels. Model and photo by Mike Smith on this forum:
**LINK**

This the Mark Two Hi Boy:

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 20/04/2017 23:11:52

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all a newbie here looking for info on the hi boy I've managed to convert mine to electronic and maiden ed it today but glue failed on motor mount.
Anayway I understand that Mr Ian has some documentation on the plane. If I may could I have a copy as I'm going to rebuild mine
Many thanks and a good read

• 1 month later...
Posted by Nick Scott on 25/06/2017 12:24:25:

Hello would anyone possibly have Precedent Hi Boy instructions. If anyone does would they possibly email photos to me?

Pm sent.

I also have scans of decals as well as a 1983 vintage kit, which I think is complete.

• 11 months later...

Hi Adrian,

I also have been building a Hi-Boy Precedent. I started some years ago, but then I had to work abroad, away from home, etc and have been unable to finish it!

However, I am now in the process of completing it, BUT, I appear to have lost / misplaced some of my Plan pages.

I have the page that ends with TAILPLANE ASSEMBLY on it, but then it jumps to instructions on how to fly the plane, therefore I must have a page or pages that are missing!

If you could send me a copy of the missing page / pages, I would be very grateful! I will of course reimburse you for any costs. Private Message me if you can help.  

I look forward to hearing from you,

Best regards,

Peter Kelly

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 21/06/2018 13:07:23

• 1 year later...

I had a high boy as my first trainer back in the early 90's. Powered it with a very early ASP .40... (that engine was sweet). Anyway....the high boy was a joy. Yes I crashed it several times , but it was so easy to perform surgery on, it didn't really cause problems.

As for the flying brick comments, not so sure about those, I could get mine to "hover" in typical british weather (i.e......windy). It was rock solid in typical pennines weather.

Changed the ailerons out for "much" bigger items which improved the roll rate no end. All in all, I thought it was a cracking plane and I have many fond memories of it.

One of which was losing sight of it in an early morning mist.....I could hear it, but had no idea where it was until I caught a glimpse of it off to my right.......suffice to say it was brought in very quickly before it disappeared again. There was also a ton of fun had steering it through the footy goalposts that some inconsiderate person had littered our flying field with.

Anyway, I know I'm a few years behind with this thread, but it just brought back so many great memories I had to post something.

• 3 years later...