Well I've checked it out - Danny and PeteB were spot on the money - the elevator servo has partially stripped gears. I put it on a Rx to see what the effect would be - the result was a "dead zone" but interestingly the this dead zone moves around! It not in the same place in the stick movement twice on the run! Sometimes its near the top, sometimes near the bottom, then its sort of in the middle! No wonder I was struggling to control the thing!!

It possible of course that the gears were stripped by the impact - but I doubt that. All the other servos were fine and the model went in nose first. I can't see any reason why just the elevator servo gears would partially strip under those conditions.

I think what might have happened is the elevator took a knock on the previous landing - it was gusty and as usual in such conditions I brought her in fairly "hot" and planted her down quite firmly. I guess as far as the elevator was concerned at least a bit too firmly. The control horn, mounted under the elevator must have taken a knock. The gears weren't completely stripped - so when I did my control check all seemed OK. But as soon as the elevator was loaded in flight the few missing teeth - which must be on an intermediate gear somewhere hence the lack of simple repeatability in the dead zone - led to me having a tiger by the tail!

I can't be sure - but it fits for me and I'll go with that. Feel a bit better for at least having a plausable theory!

tuc rip.jpg

RIP Tuc!

BEB

Actually Piers they were MG's - Gening D90 MG's to be precise! But of course in a metal geared servo usually only the final drive pair are metal - the rest are usually plastic. This is so they can transmit high torque output rather than survive impulse input I guess! And as PeteB remarked to me yesterday, the plastic gear/s may be viewed as "sacrificial" anyway.

BEB

No, its onward and upward - no looking back. Like a holiday romance, it was sweet while it lasted and all that

Fate is a funny thing,...I recieved an email from our club chairman this morning. He was passing on an "all clubs in the area" bulletin about the sale of the considerable "modelling estate" of a decessed fellow modeller from a neighbouring club. And there, top of the list was a "new in box" Balsacraft FW190 kit - Asking £50.

Well, I have the bits now - everycloud and all that. One model's demise is another's opportunity so they say. So I'm £50 lighter - but have a FW190 kit to pick up on the way home from work. Fickle in my emotions? Nah - just realistic!

Now,...all I have to do is get it in the house without the domestic authorities seeing it at this stage,.....Mmm?

BEB

That's sounds reasonable BEB. We all understand the need to put on a brave face to conceal the inner heart-ache, we are all weeping too. ( Well, it is a bit funny).

Why don't you burn the wreck, put the ashes in a small urn i.e. U R N ( otherwise it looks like UM)! You can then donate it to be given as a prize for the best mass-build model at Greenacres every year. If you do it now, you can send them to Phil, on condition of course that he returns them next year in return for a small engraved plaque.

What about then?

Sad to see BEB but at least she went down fighting.....well at least YOU were fighting her all the way....wink 2

Which gear has actually stripped? I agree that you often get a plastic gear even in MG servos but this is usually the first gear from the motor pinion where I would guess the torque loads & shocks are minimal......

• 1 month later...