Hi BEB

Did you weight the model before you started covering? I would love to know how covering and finishing (including painting) this way compares with Solarfilm/Oracover weight wise.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 31/05/2013 14:03:54

Posted by bouncebouncecrunch on 30/05/2013 22:29:46:

BEB the build thread is excellent and your beastie is coming along nicely.

I have been doing a search on Poly C for Oz but cannot find any distributors as yet and as Phil Winks pointed out, foamies (don't shame me for having a couple of foamies) do well with a bit of ding resistant covering. Water based urethane, is that similar? would it work?

bbc

Hi BBC there was a lot of discussion on here about 4 yrs ago when poly C was in its infancy and one substitute tried was water soluble polyurethane varnish thickened with a good pva (poly vinyl acetate not alcohol) and some talc, I've heard of some good results with this, though the quantities are unclear to me so it would need some experimenting, prob best to use a rapid set PVA. I understand it took a little longer to harden

Martyn on my corsair (34" w/s as I recall) it added about 1 3/4 ozs with one coat of glass cloth and about 4 coats of polyC in total

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks on 31/05/2013 19:56:30

Hi Martin,

I did mean to weigh the model before starting the covering - but I forgot in the excitment! But all is not lost - I can weigh the remaining glass cloth (I bought two packs to be sure but I only used one so I have a new one for comparison) also I can see what volume of Poly-C I use as I know the bottles start at 250ml. So I should be able to make an educated guess at least.

BEB

Just a quick progress report...

The covering is all done - in that all the airframe is now covered with glass cloth. But of course there is more to do - now I have to add coats of Poly-C until the weave is filled and its completely smooth. The advice from the Poly-C data on RCWorld's website says a number of thin coats are better than a few thick ones - so that's what I'm aiming for. Two additional coats so far - weave still very visible obviously. So, we'll keep adding.

These subsequent coats don't use anything like the same amount of Poly-C as the original application. I'm working from a 250ml bottle, it took about half the bottle to cover the model - although I reckon I lost quite a bit by using the roller which although very effective at getting the solution on quickly is quite watseful as it remains saturated with Poly-C when you have finished with it. But these coats are just using a very small amount, so I should get the whole model covered and flowed for less than one bottle.

Applying the coats is quite quick as there is no rubbing down between at this stage, the weave provides all the key you need and the solution dries quickly - 20-30 mins.

Looking over the job I'm quite pleased. I've got a couple of very small "bumps" where an air bubble has crept in - but they are very small. I have one wrinkle under the tailplane. I'm pretty confident these little blemishes will sand out when everything is dry and all the coats applied. There are also a few "whiskers" around the edges - but again these will sand off I'm sure.

So I'll report back with some pictures when I get towards the end of the coating phase.

BEB

OK, six coats of Poly-C on now. The weave has dissapeared over 95% of the fuselage, but I can still just about detect it on the wings and the tailplane. So I think I will give them a couple of coats just to themselves. But before that I'm going to give the whole thing a gentle rub down to get rid of the whiskers, overlaps (hardly visible TBH) one or two little lumps and my one wrinkle!

When I last weighed it we were at 2.35lbs including battery. Since then I've added;

1. the fairings and the filler around them,
  2. the snake outers,
  3. the servo support rails,
  4. the aileron rods,
  5. the battery tray and velcro. And of course
  6. the covering and 6 coats of Poly-C

So, what do you think she weighs now?

Answers on a postcard please,....all will be revealled later!

BEB

Whats your bty weigh BEB that 3300 gens ace took me up to the 3.2lb mark and actually suprised me as at your stage mine was only 2.5lbs so I guess poly C added less than 0.19lbs at most over film covering though you prob have about another 0.01lbs of paint to add so yes poly C aint heavy

How did it fair cost wise Versus film ?

Phil

Haven't weighed the battery - but that weight of 2.69lb includes it.

Cost - well I've basically used a 250ml bottle of Poly-C - cost £5.10 and most of 2 sq m of 0.6oz glass cloth - at £9.90 So that's a total of £15. Of course I have to prime and paint it yet!

2sq m of Solarfilm would cost me about £13 - so Poly-C seems to be slighly more expensive - but not enough to break the bank!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/06/2013 23:03:14

I forgot to mention - I've been having a careful rubbing down session. Basically along all the trimmed edges and any little bumps etc. One problem with Poly-C is that if you have a slight edge or lip left after trimming, or a wrinkle anywhere, the stuff builds up behind it. Next time I think I will rub down the edges etc. after the first or second coat before there is too much of a build up that needs to be sanded down. Having said that it sands well using 320 grit wet and dry (wet).

Not finished on this yet as its quite a slow painstaking job. Once that's done I'll give the whole airframe another - probably final - coat of Poly-C before a final all over rub down with 600 grit wet and dry prior to priming.

BEB

Mine weighs 1.42kg - the wing weighs only 140gms plus fuel on top of that.

In English money that is 3lbs 2oz plus 6oz of fuel.

I wonder how that will compare with the LiPo sleds. My guess will be 3lbs 8oz

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 04/06/2013 17:28:17

Hi BEB, How many coats of sanding/sealer did you apply beforehand and did you sand down after applying the sander/sealer? Did the cloth adhere well to the balsa? I did a small test piece and found it could be pulled off easily but did not apply the sander/sealer beforehand.

Mike.

Well - I have pretty well lost a week! Work has been incredibly busy this last week, I have had to work until the wee small hours most days and I have been able to do very little except add the odd coat of Poly-C.

So, 7 coats of Poly-C later, with an 8th coat on the wings and tailplane, I've decided to call it a day! Mike, to answer your question, just one coat of sanding sealer and no it was not then rubbed down before applying the cloth and Poly-C. The cloth is very well stuck down - you wouldn't get it off without seriously damaging the model.

As mentioned in my last post above I did give everything a rub down with 320 grit between the sixth and seventh coatsof Poly-C, then after the final 8th coat on the wings and tailplane I rubbed it all down with 600 grit used dry this time.

Now I reckon that to get a really first class finish more rubbing down would really be needed - but the truth is I'm running out of time (less than two weeks left!) so I have to press on and live with it as it is. Its not perfect, there are a few bumps and that, but its not too bad.

So, first job today was to mask-up and brush the model down throughly prior to applying the primer. Here's a photo of the masked up model,...

tucano 71.jpg

Not too difficult to mask, just the snake outlets at the end and the aileron control rods to seal off with masking tape, the motor to protect and the air inlet stuffed with newspaper. Finally a piece of newspaper taped over the canopy opening.

OK, standing on two biscuit tins on the garden table (protected with some old dust sheets!) the first, guide coat, of primer is sprayed on,...

tucano 72.jpg

This was given a quick rub back - it should really have been a good long rub back, but time demands a less fussy approach!,....

tucano 73.jpg

It was actually rubbed back more than that photo suggests - but not that much more! Finally a second coat of primer was applied all over,...

tucano 74.jpg

And that's where we are up to. The primer is now hardening overnight before I apply the top coat tomorrow hopefully (please, please make the weather OK!). The top coat will be "BMW Jet Black" - very swish!

BEB

Great stuff. That's good to know thanks. Just thinking ahead to after my (not yet started) Tucano build, I might try Poly-C/cloth and spray paint for my Wot4. Looking forward to seeing what your Tucano will look like when finished.

Looking good BEB - PolyC takes paint very well I sprayed the old ST-330 after covering, and it went on a dream, the slightly odd shapes was operator of sprayer not the undercoat!

If you ever need an air-brush then let me know, I will have a 'spraying area' all set up from the end of next month (planned shed completion), and you are welcome to pop over and use it, or I can dismount it and come to you!

Olly

Oh - the 330?

left wing u/s tip

Edited By Olly P on 10/06/2013 12:17:09