Pick a plane 2008

THE Stuka, KEN, if you look at the aircraft from the front, there are 3 angles the wing must change per side the "root" goes up, then goes down to the undercarrige point, then goes up again to the tip, Now That is some "serious" building. In opinion, when the crosswind hits the underside of the wing platform it "pockets" under the fuz, awfull things happen to light model at this time. Correct me if I am wrong. The same is as bad with the lysander, the wing sits on top of a very glass covered cockpit----hardly any strength in that for a model, the other point is that the wing is very narrow, requiring flaps and slats to land, Fantasic planes, both But to "model"... in the respect of what we  are asking of Tony??? for a plan inside RMCE,  I think that's asking too much , If you want something unusal to build , then     VOTE 1   WHIRLWIND.   Thanks Barry

I. JU 87 Stuka

2. Sea Fury

3. Westland Whirlwind

The Whirlwind has been added out of curiosity, as I have wondered about its practicallity. It was deffinatly a beutiful aeroplane, but along with the Welkin. hornet, skyrocket difficult to model effectively, as the nose is very short. The ones I have seen have had heavy engines and lead in the nose areas, to balance a normally built but light back end. As I fly electric, I do not like heavy motors or lead. So think of us electric modellers please

I would have voted for the Lysander, again the wing area seems small for a large body. The one I saw flying think it was a complete-a -pac, part foam body, flew like an overweight Penguin.

I have a few plans for  Me 109s, plus a home designed and built (48" for electric), this plane has almost as many plans as the Hurricane. From the mags and Tonys point of veiw a potentially commercially viable model (Hurricane that is).

We had a a free plan for the Storch (did not seem long ago), which I still have build.

Erfolg   

Hi Guys

My Choice

1. Whirlwind (yes, I've read all your notes Barry and agree it is a fine choice, but I'm a bit concerned about the u/c as I don't think there are any proprietary units?). Must be electric

2. Stuka

3. Sea Fury

The latter two could be "40 size" i.c. or electric.

Any electric wants to be based on common size battery packs (pref. 3s ~2300mAh size) so we can afford to have several and maximise their use on different models.     Even if the Whirlwind doesn't win at the final whistle, hats off to Barry for a strong campaign to get votes on a pretty, but fairly obscure plane. 

Barry

This is a bit of topic

I really would like the Whirlwind to win.

It is just the ones I have seen (2), needed to much lead for my liking. Both went in after very little flying, engines blamed on both occaisons. Given that there is an electric plan available, I am intriguided how an effective backend is constructed, as a perenial problem when I build is getting the CG in the right place without lead.

Whatever wins I just want it to be practical to fly every week ie robust. It should be a sensible build,not requiring the abilities of a peanut free flighter to build. I do not like tricky handling that some scale models have, ie wing loading, highly tapering wing etc. Also II do not want to build over 2 years, I will have lost interest by then.

I hope it is decided soon.

Erfolg

Sorry Barry but if I wish to build a warbird it would have to be the :     

ME109---                  straightforward rugged and oh so good looking!   

Westland Lysander           crying out for 4t  power     

Chipmunk                just because.   

Looks like I'll have to look elsewhere for  Dragon Rapide plans then?       

To answer CHRIS SALOMON, on page 3, Out of the twelve  planes "offered" up for a "Free plan" there is only 1,...  YES,.... ONE..... ONE ONLY.... that has not been "kitted, arf, Parts & plan offered, IF you care to take the time and "search the world", on internet, you WILL find that somewhere you can obtain the above plans, IN  variuos sizes, building material and elect. or IC.   AND they have been around for YEARS, look at  Brain Taylors drawings. the USA  scale expert ,PLATT, all have done one or the other of them.... NOW to THE WHIRLWIND,  TWO for electric and... ONE.... that's it ,.....in 36yrs there has  NOT been  another plan offered, and you said  " so we don't need another plan, Barry". I hope I have clarified  my persistance on this subject, and (tougue in cheek) .........SO ...........VOTE .....ONE ..... WHIRLWIND by WESTLAND    

Hi , yesterday's "thread" to KEN, should have addressed to Matt Watts,  (it was late in the evening),  and I got the angles upside down on the "Stuka,"  Front on wing  view across fuz is flat, then the root changes to a downward angle  to u/c point, the it goes up again to the wing tip, this change in angles, 3  times,is why it is a difficult "wing platform to build" in my opinoin, Matt read the rest of my points page 3 . Barry