Kyosho trainer 40

• 2 weeks later...

The Kyosho Trainer 40 was introduced in 1998 in two colour schemes: a rather shocking shade of pink and then two years later a second version in yellow was sold alongside the pink. The part numbers were #11605 (pink) and #11805 (Yellow). The picture in your link is the yellow version reviewed here (albeit no pictures) in October 2000 R/C Modeler. The pink version was reviewed in RC Model World April 1998. Message me and I'll forward a scan of this for you.

The Calmato line are the current trainers by Kyosho and are not quite the same as yours. That said the construction of one high wing ARTF is not really that much different from the next regardless of manufacturer. However the measurements and required control surface throws and other info you will need will be different. I've emailed Kyosho before for the instructions but they have long since removed all info from their database. Thankfully you can get the manual in German from kyosho.de. This has all the measurements you might need and the diagrams are fairly self explanatory (Google translator can help with the rest). Failing that, any club instructor worth his/her salt will be able to guess the required control movements for this type of plane from experience and will get you flying.

They are very good flyers. I learnt on the pink version (it certainly stood out against the sky!).

Yeah. I'm a fickle one.

I've wanted to get into rc flying since I was a kid and want to do it properly. The 35mhz thing is playing on my mind and the fact that this is a 13 year old plane makes me just want to go for a brand new setup that no one has ever used before, I've made do all my life and at the mo have a window of opportunity to make a purchase from new.

I haven't the space for 2 tho so this has to go , will provide me with club joining fees...

Edited By soulinvader on 14/07/2013 21:28:03

Few trainers make it the second hand market and when they do you need to be careful as it’s a hard life for an aircraft and a multitude of sins could be hidden under a new covering job. However this is where ARTF trainers come with an advantage as it is neigh on impossible to replace that that brightly coloured factory finished covering without it being obvious.

I would be very surprised if the fact that your model is 13 years old will make any difference. It takes at least 25 years for balsa to even begin to get brittle and probably even longer (if ever) for plywood. Most ARFT trainers also typically use plywood for the main structural joints so I cannot foresee any problems for a while yet.

As to 35 MHz; well it has been used for decades without a hitch. In my humble experience most ‘radio failures’ I’ve witnessed on 35 MHz were due to pilot error; either shamelessly blaming their gear for their flying mistake or flying with gear with has been damaged previously which would have been obvious if a quick range check had been performed. If you join a club, almost all will have been founded pre-2.4 GHz; the flying site will not likely suffer from any sources of interference. Remember 35 MHz is still allocated strictly for RC flying and so a high power source of interference is unlikely to occur in the countryside.

This is just your first aircraft – this trainer may seem important now but I can assure you that once you are solo (which doesn’t take long) you will soon be looking for something better.

Taking all this together, just turn up at a club with your Kyosho trainer and get them to look it over. I can guarantee you will be flying that day and your old but tidy trainer will look like it’s just been valeted alongside some of the other planes there. It’s easy to assume from magazines, forums etc that everyone fly’s with mint condition, expertly build machines as per the adverts using the latest high end radio… the truth is really that the average club contains just as many dirty un-kept examples to match!

• 8 years later...