Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Yak 3 is finished and ready to fly. Loosely modelled on G-OLEG previously owned by Will Greenwood and subject to this website, which is an excellent read:

https://vintageaviationecho.com/yakovlev-yak-3/

Warbirds Replicas Kit. 55" Span, 5lb9Oz ready to fly (18Oz/sqft). Powered by a 5055 500kv motor on 4S turning a 14/7 3 blade. Static test give over a kilowatt, so judicious use of the throttle will be necessary!

Maiden will occur some time in the future when the wind eventually drops...

yak3 240521-4.jpg

yak3 240521-5.jpg

yak3 240521-2.jpg

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Steve Colman said:

E-Flite Opterra.

Always fancied one of these despite it being somewhat expensive for what it is, but life is short and it was my birthday a few days ago so why not I thought.

You should have a lot of fun with the Opterra Steve - also makes a fun sloper. You just have to be careful with the launches. It's not difficult, but you have to get it right every time. Saw a vid just the other day of a guy who had been flying his for a couple of years, but did a bit of a casual launch and got zapped badly on the back of his hand. Here's a mental check list I use for flying wing launches:

1. Good strong grip - check

2. Good footing - check

3. Arm well extended so you don't hit your head (again) - I know!! - just sayin.

4. Good hard throw in to wind - check

5. Follow through so your hand drops away from the prop - check

6. Hand to drop straight on to the TX stick ready for recovery inputs - check

7. Make it so.

Launch5.jpg

• Like 2

Hand launching is a lost art! Back in the day, my RC flying was largely self taught from a field near my house. I learned by flinging the blighters! Even some reasonably large models. 

My Cambrian Spitfire focuses the mind though; It needs a fair old heft and there's not a lot of space to grip. What there is is well behind the CofG, so is a bit awkward. And then it takes a while to get up to decent flying speed. You have to have faith that I am 6ft 1, and the model needs 5ft 6 of descent to get up to speed! 7" is plenty, as it were...

The checklist is great Steve.

Please add:

• Check dog is tethered so he doesn't 'buy the dummy throw' and disappear into the next county...

Graham

• Like 1

Here’s my Warbird Replicas Lavochkin 7, built by me over the last year.  It’s got a Laser 80 in it but is unflown.  As I work abroad that won’t happen until the end of the summer.

Its been painted by a friend, the colours are a bit off, a result of the photo being transferred several times and then printed.  However, he’s made such a good job of it that I don’t care. Maybe it will be easier to see in flight.  It weighs in at 10lb 10 oz, 2 oz overweight to the figures give by Richard.  
I’ll touch up the control horns and dirty it up a bit, add panel lines too.  But it was easy to build and looks great.

156AD87A-CEDD-473D-B5BE-035ED1D0016B.jpeg

4921B93D-6FB4-4874-952B-3167BA3F5355.jpeg

• Like 10