Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

And now I will tell you that it flies beautifully.  A little bit of right aileron trim and up elevator trim and it flies like my "The OHmen" but has a much faster roll rate.

Unfortunately the ESC stopped working after the first flight. I still had radio but no motor.

On 29/09/2021 at 23:48, PatMc said:

I've got any petrol shortage covered.

991347953_PetrolRationBook.jpg.3b7b13a6a7fb8ce57956974c3f13041d.jpg

Genuine, government issue, full book of unused coupons. ?

Sorry the pictures are not too good. There is a dial on top of my camera which is fairly new and it is too easy to move inadvertently.

insanity6.jpg

insanity4.jpg

insanity3.jpg

Insanity2.jpg

Insanity1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Nice one Peter, please if possible after the ESC is fixed give us a full report on the flight characteristics, just love to know what inverted, stall turns (right and left) spins and knife edges compare.

Does it make a difference or does one wing balance the other out? and what about the back end, surely that has a weird effect?

The ESC worked this morning!!!  My Guru (George at 4 Max) also told me what to do on the field when it goes dead.

On the flight it had I sorted it out, a little down trim, a little right aileron and not much else.

The point is that all surfaces are in line with the airflow. so really not much effect.  The dihedral only really works in the case of a sideslip as per any normal aircraft, The sweep back works in the same  way.

The trim needed is no more that one needs on any other new design.

Loops are fine. The roll rate was roughly equal and very fast, even enverted was OK.

I will be doing more flying very soon and need flying shots.

I can tell you that Kevin Crozier has requested an article on the model, the ideas and how it performs and how you can build your own.

You could in fact convert many plans to the same ideas.  Leading edge sheeting would not really be practical,

I can say that this model has provided me with more interest, excitement, fun and sense of achievement than anything that I have built for a long time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Peter Miller said:

The ESC worked this morning!!!  My Guru (George at 4 Max) also told me what to do on the field when it goes dead.

On the flight it had I sorted it out, a little down trim, a little right aileron and not much else.

The point is that all surfaces are in line with the airflow. so really not much effect.  The dihedral only really works in the case of a sideslip as per any normal aircraft, The sweep back works in the same  way.

The trim needed is no more that one needs on any other new design.

Loops are fine. The roll rate was roughly equal and very fast, even enverted was OK.

I will be doing more flying very soon and need flying shots.

I can tell you that Kevin Crozier has requested an article on the model, the ideas and how it performs and how you can build your own.

You could in fact convert many plans to the same ideas.  Leading edge sheeting would not really be practical,

I can say that this model has provided me with more interest, excitement, fun and sense of achievement than anything that I have built for a long time.

I am delighted to have been present to witness this. And I can echo Peter's words that this was one of the most fun and certainly memorable days flying I can recall. 

It does also remove any excuses I ever had for failed maiden flights on my models though! If Insanity flies, well, why won't my models?

Great fun. Well done Peter

Graham

• Like 1

This was my maiden of a rescued Parkzone F4F Wildcat yesterday. The model hadn't really been on my radar, but the thought of filling another slot in my Battle of Britain bucket list, with a cute little Grumman Martlet did appeal. When Derek came to handlaunch the model we both thought that there wasn't much static thrust there, but she got away beautifully and was soon whipping about the sky.

What a nice agile, well balanced model - I'd put the performance very similar to my PZ P-47 and that's on a tiny 3s1p 1300mah pack. The sit of the model in the air is perfect -all of these PZ warbirds seem very stable when they come in on a low pass. She's a Wildcat for now, but will soon be refinished as a FAA Martlet, once I can get hold of a suitable and appealing colour scheme for a 1940 Martlet, rather than the later war camo with invasion stripes. Photo credits Derek Robertson who did a grand job with very challenging mostly overcast skies.

1705651933_1702GrummanWildcat2E.thumb.jpg.474e3ac2e482b0025b0adf6bd5cf9a1b.jpg

334566241_1703GrummanWildcat3E.thumb.jpg.2c814cd0a948902e38017d0db4e8408c.jpg951691490_1706GrummanWildcat4E.thumb.jpg.f27041eed29f079725ea0250124e9c29.jpg699804120_1711GrummanWildcat6E.thumb.jpg.8a1523f4f4a9bfd3f2976d2512ad1470.jpg

1689 Grumman Wildcat 1 E.jpg

• Like 2

Not mine (yet  ) but Saturday also saw the successful maiden flight of my pal Jim's Fiat CR42 Falco. Jim approached me earlier this year and floated the idea that he would design and build a Falco for my Battle of Britain collection, which I'd told him about. Naturally I agreed and Jim based the model on the example in the Battle of Britain hall at the RAF Museum at Hendon. I provided the 3D printed spats, and latterly the pilot, which is yet to be fitted, as my minor contribution, but everything else is Jim's own design- blown up from a 3-view.

She's 50" span (~1/8th scale), weighs 5lb 4oz, for a wing loading of 18.8 oz/sq ft, Powered by a D3548 motor, 11x5.5" APC-E prop and a 4s1p 3600mah Lipo .

It was an unseasonable calm late autumn day and with the model 99% finished Jim decided the timing was good for a maiden flight. Take off and the first 20 seconds were decidedly hairy, the surfeit of power and highly effective elevator contributing to her being very twitchy in pitch, but Jim soon had her tamed and the maiden went very smoothly, with a peach of a landing. I've attached my pal Derek's pictures of the maiden flight here - the overcast sky wasn't the best and Derek's pictures were so much better than mine.

820459416_1647Falcoinflight3E.thumb.jpg.fb35179d9363bce8505dc6fb660d8b5e.jpg1695051545_1654Falcoinflight4E.thumb.jpg.bcdf3b68eb056b6d6a3cf958f484ecb6.jpg1017001077_1656Falcoinflight5E.thumb.jpg.74221c3bfeae55fcb9229febb1714e41.jpg344429864_1677Falcoinflight7E.thumb.jpg.8ff3cf210428345843a60577f418e036.jpg722167145_1678aperfecttouchdownE.thumb.jpg.5cc7c70069f7e675cc83985ae5c6e2b1.jpg

We are both delighted with the model - Jim just has a few finishing touches to make - some blisters, louvres, a few more graphics, windshield and pilot. Then she'll be joining my fleet. It was a lovely surprise and really made my weekend.? 

• Like 15

You're not wrong Masher ? I definitely do have some good pals through this hobby - these boys couldn't have been more welcoming since I've moved to Scotland for good.  Jim's models are always fantastic and very workable scale models and I'm lucky to have several from previous club swapmeets. The Falco is a follow on from Jim's Gladiator - featured earlier in the thread.

After 3 unsuccessful maiden attempts that resulted in flights somewhat shorter than intended, and landing approaches somewhat steeper than intended, the FVVS-J22 finally flew today.

The last attempt resulted in a full on tent peg, so the entire wing centre section has been rebuilt. As this is my first attempt to design a scale model, I wanted to see it through, even if it looked a dogs dinner. As it turned out, I enjoyed rebuilding her, and during the process discovered that at some point I had indadvertedly introduced a couple of degrees of positive incidence. This had caused the previous flight attempts to commence fully stalled. This now resolved, all was reasonably well.

I say reasonably, but my repairs had introduced a bit of twist, so it needed a lot of trim. BUT, 2 flights, 2 gentle landings and the glow of designign, building and flying an unusual subject.

J-22 flying 1.jpg

J-22 Flying 2.jpg

J-22 Flying 3.jpg

• Like 13