Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

At last year's Pontefract PANDAS retro meet, I was fortunate enough to win a replica Galloping Ghost system in the raffle! This stunning radio was made by Tobe Kallner of Sweden, based on the electronic projects of Phil Green in the UK. All the plastic parts, stick unit, servo, receiver cases, were 3D printed by Tobe!

To match such a wonderful prize, I thought I'd better build a suitable model for it! I settled on a Boddington "Ghost Rider 38". This was specifically designed for Galloping Ghost control, and Boddos designs are usually have benign handling characteristics - important when attempting an unusual control system! ?

GhostRider_1-red.jpg.4131d8e98666badd37fd649095ad2075.jpg

I've converted it to a tail-dragger (more suitable for the kinds of fields I fly from) and electric power (hope I have my sums right!).

For those younger members, who might be unfamiliar with "Galloping Ghost", it was a very early form of proportional control from an era when nearly everything was "bang-bang" in nature! It allowed proportional rudder and elevator control from a very basic single channel system, and if you were really clever, a progressive throttle control as well!

Here's some video of the system running on the bench:

Edited by Peter Christy
Trying to get the photo to embed!
  • Like 6

I used to fly a Ghost Rider 50 with 2 channel proportional radio in the 70s. Every so often partway through a flight it would to get into an unrecoverable flat spin. This may have been due to having more modern radio with bigger control throws. I never got to the bottom of exactly why it would spontaneously spin although I suspected that the fin rudder/area being optimised for GG control is probably too small for more modern radio. The cure was to add washout in the form of ply flaps at the tips.

Test flew a 3D printed version of my Whippit Racer design today, it was gusting to 30mph but handled it well.. it features a segmented fuselage, each piece slots together dry and a piece of 6mm carbon fibre rod goes through all giving it its strength. 

The original was made from depron, this one has been modelled off my drawings by a gent in Australia and developed by Joe from RC Hotel.

Free files to print are available over on RCG

Clever stuff but I still prefer balsa bashing,  a few photos I took.

Rich

IMG_8784 (2).JPG.jpg

IMG_8786.jpg

IMG_8787 (2).JPG.jpg

IMG_8789 (2).JPG.jpg

20220227_160256.jpg

• Like 7

I posted these on the Stampe SR7 thread in the Peter Miller area, but thought I'd put them here too. The model was scratch built from the magazine free plan, and uses a 4s setup that I had lying around. It's a bit heavier than the prototype at 4.75lb (with battery) but I have added flaps and fairly heavy wheels, which together with a larger than needed motor has put the weight on. There's lots of wing though, and I've propped it to about 450W, so all should be well.

Non stop high winds since it was finished a couple of weeks ago, will wait for a calm day to try it.

20220210_110719.jpg

20220210_110349.jpg

20220210_110324.jpg

20220210_110259.jpg

• Like 12

Funscale Raf Fe-8 ,maiden flight yesterday. Mainly scratchbuilt,started with polish Combat kit in epp foam. Foam , floorlaquer,tissue,carbon and balsa . The control surfaces are done like the original with pulleys and kevlar thread.

IMG_01032022_221515_(1080_x_1080_pixel).thumb.jpg.71d7b50e87c58a8a92da736c200e19bb.jpgAnders

Edited by Anders Wellsten
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Anders Wellsten said:

Funscale Raf Fe-8 ,maiden flight yesterday. Mainly scratchbuilt,started with polish Combat kit in epp foam. Foam , floorlaquer,tissue,carbon and balsa . The control surfaces are done like the original with pulleys and kevlar thread.

IMG_01032022_221515_(1080_x_1080_pixel).thumb.jpg.71d7b50e87c58a8a92da736c200e19bb.jpgAnders

Excellent, Anders. I'm assembling materials for a Vickers FB5 Gunbus

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My latest build, laminate film covering (purchased from Ron Gray ?) and a spitfire diesel engine, I have named it "Naked Princess" because I have covered it in laminating film, no colour. Yet to maiden as it is a total of 1lb11oz I am waiting for the wind to go down a little. Steve

IMG_5207.JPG

IMG_5205.JPG

IMG_5206.JPG

• Like 13

Great job there Eric, might be of interest (well it is to me!) my BH Mossie is 63 inch wingspan and 5.5 lbs and is more holes than balsa so a very light build. Okay it is 8 inch smaller and has retracts, but a good comparison between foamboard and balsa construction techniques.

Let us all know how the maiden goes.

Thanks for the kind words,

Martin there is a thread started by Jonathan S foamboard Mosquito. He put it on the day I started on mine so I tagged on 

Paul, I built the CAP Mosquito from the plan  but just used the plan for guidance as building it to plan would have produced a brick. I still have the plan and I am contemplating building another as it is a good size to fit in the car ready assembled. Those 3/8" sq. engine bearers that go almost the full chord of the wing and the 1/4 ply main spars are all unnecessary weight. Mine flew with fixed u/c and 2 25 FSR engines till I had to fly it on one and it did not like it. 

Chris, is your Mosquito the Robin Fowler version? the only two I know that are 63" span are his and the CAP model.

If I do build another CAP size version I will make the back end as light as possible as I had problems getting the balance right, I had planned to put the batteries in the nacelles but had to move them as far forward in the nose as possible.  Making the MK VI will give me another 1" forward to get the batteries in as they won't be seen with the solid nose. 

Today was a perfect day for a maiden flight. So the Ki45 finally got it's moment.

Delighted to report that the first hand launch saw it ease steadily into the blue sky needing just a few clicks of aileron and 3 clicks of up elevator. It flew really well. Really, there was nothing bad to report. It is stable and predictable and flies like a trainer. I found I could fly it comfortably at just over half throttle and got nearly 4 minutes from the little 2200 3S packs. Landing was a walking pace non event. Dead chuffed!

Only trouble is that there was no-one else there, so we'll have to make do with an 'after' photo.

Details:

Span 60"

Powertrain: 3536 920kv motors spinning 9x4 3-blade props.

Battery: 2200 3S

AUW ready to fly: 3lb 10Oz

Graham

Ki45 after.jpg

• Like 8