Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Here's a wee bit of daft fun - one of last weekend's swapmeet bargains - a HK Sukhoi Su-35 SuperFlanker prop in a slot foamie. Once in the air the model flew exactly as expected, but a nice surprise was how bouncable it was from a couple of arrivals. Very quick roll rate, the usual high alpha slow speed manouvering of these pushers and a bit noisy. On the maiden flight I slowed the model down too much, with a touch too much sink and when I gave it a blip of throttle to clear the fence promptly flick rolled into a vertical dive into the floor from six feet, but with no damage. I'm not sure about the Russian scheme and might refinish the model as one of the recent deliveries to the Egyptian Air Force.

Thanks to my clubmate Steve for the very nice flying shots. ?DSC_0399.thumb.JPG.3c97471700908a8af59d26f7b1fceb1b.JPGDSC_0468.thumb.JPG.9be70d951541e80c08a561af512ff1ab.JPGDSC_0463.thumb.JPG.ad071e6fde18103c96438be110bc73d3.JPGDSC_0453.thumb.JPG.208bf1ae545d59e5a1e1db771ef65fa9.JPG

• Like 7

2 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

Here's a wee bit of daft fun - one of last weekend's swapmeet bargains - a HK Sukhoi Su-35 SuperFlanker prop in a slot foamie. Once in the air the model flew exactly as expected, but a nice surprise was how bouncable it was from a couple of arrivals. Very quick roll rate, the usual high alpha slow speed manouvering of these pushers and a bit noisy. On the maiden flight I slowed the model down too much, with a touch too much sink and when I gave it a blip of throttle to clear the fence promptly flick rolled into a vertical dive into the floor from six feet, but with no damage. I'm not sure about the Russian scheme and might refinish the model as one of the recent deliveries to the Egyptian Air Force.

Thanks to my clubmate Steve for the very nice flying shots. ?DSC_0399.thumb.JPG.3c97471700908a8af59d26f7b1fceb1b.JPGDSC_0468.thumb.JPG.9be70d951541e80c08a561af512ff1ab.JPGDSC_0463.thumb.JPG.ad071e6fde18103c96438be110bc73d3.JPGDSC_0453.thumb.JPG.208bf1ae545d59e5a1e1db771ef65fa9.JPG

Those are super sharp pictures!!!

• Like 1

Like that Leccy- looking forward to seeing it flying up here when we next meet up.  You keep on getting these bargains!  Can't remember if the SuperFlanker was sold to the Ukrainians- but you could annoy the Ruskies by superimposing Ukranian markings nontheless!!

Edited by Tosh McCaber
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tosh McCaber said:

Like that Leccy- looking forward to seeing it flying up here when we next meet up.  You keep on getting these bargains!  Can't remember if the SuperFlanker was sold to the Ukrainians- but you could annoy the Ruskies by superimposing Ukranian markings nontheless!!

This is precisely what I am going to do with my Baron for this year's La Coupe Des Barons! I have removed the Great War Russian cockades and will replace them with Ukrainian ones. I am just waiting for my packet to arrive from Pyramid Models. Not that many people would recognise Russian WW1 markings! ?

Boris Ready for La Coupe (2).JPG

• Like 5

My latest scratch build from three view found online and couple of old pics. AVRO 539. Originally designed as a float plane for the 1919 Schneider Trophy. After float damage returned to Avro factory and floats replaced with wheels and vertical stabilizer redesigned for Airiel Derby. As I will eventually add floats I kept the original Stab on my wheeled version. Builders perogative!

40 inch span, built from 6mm white depron  (Yes I still have 10 shets left) and some blue fom. All covered with 40gram glass cloth using west system epoxy painted with own mix of ivory acrylic. 35.36 910kv motor. 3cell 2200 lipo. 12x7 woodprop. 1350 grams flying weight..

IMG_20220429_135305_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220429_135227_HDR.jpg

Edited by Michael Barclay
  • Like 18

15 hours ago, Tosh McCaber said:

That's really nice Michaerl.  What's the wing construction- are they built up?  Does it come apart (presumably!)

Hello, Tosh. The wing is built by making several strategically placed longitudinal 4mm deep x 1mm wide V shaped slots in the underside of the 6mm depron. West system epoxy is injected into these slots. The wing is then pushed into a jig which forces the depron to the correct aerfoil and surplus epoxy is removed. The wing stays in the jig. I usually leave it overnight, and when the wing is removed from the jig, you have a rigid aerfoil shape to which the underside of the wing can be added if you do not want an undercambered wing. The whole thing is covered in epoxy and glass cloth in the usual manner. It is not an easy process and is time-consuming and very exacting, but it does make strong, rigid wings. It is much easier to build conventional balsa wings, but I like experimenting with different techniques. I hope this gives you some idea of the process but it is hard to describe. When building eliptical or tapered wings it gets even more complicated so I won't go into that here!

For the Avro, the wing span is only 40 inches, and as it has a very short fuzelage, it does not take up a great deal of room, so for this model I did not make the wings removable.

On 29/04/2022 at 07:17, leccyflyer said:

Thanks to my clubmate Steve for the very nice flying shots. ?

I've been flying the living daylights out of one of these for the last 3 years.
With the slotted prop, it was extremely loud to my liking, so I started to modify it.

I bought a couple of multicopter motors and props, as they are extremely efficient for this kind of thing, and mounted them directly on the tailerons. 

P1090989.thumb.JPG.4307191155246edcedf25a0c5fca2380.JPG

I did have to seriously reinforce those, because the forces acting upon them with this configuration is extreme.

Now I have a hand-launch thrust-vectoring Su-35 with a power-to-weight ration over 1:1.

I hold it vertically, give it full throttle, and it just accelerates out of my hand.  It is extremely agile; it does backflips and a cobra maneuver effortlessly, and it rolls like a powerdrill.  And with less noise (but still noisy, though)

To protect these 3-bladed pusher props during landings, I added a couple of tail skids

P1090999.thumb.JPG.e5f19e85e505c3a6bf5dac08d15ec59b.JPG

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Peter Miller said:

It is about 60" span. I will check with Mick.  IT was built from an old kit that he got a while ago and he can't remember the name. There is a Build blog on this forum but I couldn't find it.

I will get mick to add some details.

I think this is the build by Robert Parker.

Having read the above I can confirm it is 60" WS.

Steve

Edited by EarlyBird
More info added

Here's my scratch built Cessna GC-1, a not so famous 1929 air racer.

It spans 1.57 meters, is powered by a Saito 72 and weighs 3 kg.

I built it for the controlline events I visit once a year to compete  in Scale  and in Basic Carrier Deck flying  - a nice diversion from my RC flying.

The throttle is controlled by 2.4mhz RC, covering is hobbyking film, and it has sprung landing gear.

Maiden flight soon.

Karl-Georg

20220501_150940.jpg

20220501_151505.jpg

20220501_160547.jpg

• Like 12