Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

@Keith Billingewhere have you got your CG Keith? I’ve just come back from a maiden flight which was a bit hairy to put it mildly. I couldn’t find CG details for the E so I set mine as per the S but the flights I’ve just had show that to be well back from where it needs to be! As it was it was barely controllable on its first flight but managed to get it back and after reducing the elevator throws to a couple of mm (yes) up and down and upping the expo to 50% I was more in control. Didn’t try full throttle, even at 20% throttle it is very fast!

Hello Ron,

here is my recently completed "Reinforced Dammit!" The leading edge spar is one continuous 8mm carbon Rod and theres a 3mm carbon rod in the centre of the wing too.

I made the fuselage as part of the wing to be stronger as my first one folded when I did a naughty powered loop.

My model has a 2306 2700kv motor which is more than enough on 3S 850mAH batteries on a 6x4 prop. I launch it at 1/2 throttle and it pulls straight out of my hand.

Sounds like yours may be a bit overpowered on 4S.

The CG is just in front of the first wing spar about 45-50mm back from the LE. Unlike most plank wing / Tailess models it doesn't really need any reflex in the elevons.

I did introduce a bit of downthrust behind my motor but it still climbs a fair bit under full power.

Hope this helps......

KB

(P.S. I notice you have installed your elevon control horns backwards. Without the pivot point over the hinge line this could seriously mess up your Elevon Servo geometry?)

1658780554800.jpg

1658780554811.jpg

1658780554821.jpg

Edited by Keith Billinge
PS

On 25/07/2022 at 21:35, Keith Billinge said:

I notice you have installed your elevon control horns backwards

You know what, I hadn’t realised that, first time in over 50 builds I’ve done that! Not sure it will make much difference as there’s only 2mm up and 2mm down on elevator movement, more on aileron.  It’s a shame I didn’t see your post before flying mine in anger, I’ve now rebuilt it with a carbon spar as it came back in 3 pieces! Nice amount of power on 4s, I wouldn’t say overpowered but you have to have your wits about you as it is quite quick, going to be very interesting on 5s and 6s!

• Like 1

My Flightline P-38 Lightning, which has been sitting in it's box for a few months but which I assembled last week for the club Scale comp in the ARTF/RTF category. I say assembly rather than built as the only gluing was the tips of the horizontal stabiliser and the plastic cover for the massive number of leads in the wiring loom under the wings. The attention to detail and quality of fit and finish of these Flightline models is a step above earlier generations of foamies, the major airframe components are pretty much finished off and assembly is a matter of a few screws into hard points. 

1270952360_5123LockheedLightning1E.thumb.jpg.67839e53122c9a08101ed7cf0ebc1806.jpg

1198718445_5124LockheedLightning2E.thumb.jpg.6f6b03ca48b1f4ab95d04ea87218acf9.jpg

Photo credit Derek Robertson -no maiden flight as yet, but I'll follow up with some flying shots when that happens.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

My Flightline P-38 Lightning, which has been sitting in it's box for a few months but which I assembled last week for the club Scale comp in the ARTF/RTF category. I say assembly rather than built as the only gluing was the tips of the horizontal stabiliser and the plastic cover for the massive number of leads in the wiring loom under the wings. The attention to detail and quality of fit and finish of these Flightline models is a step above earlier generations of foamies, the major airframe components are pretty much finished off and assembly is a matter of a few screws into hard points. 

1270952360_5123LockheedLightning1E.thumb.jpg.67839e53122c9a08101ed7cf0ebc1806.jpg

1198718445_5124LockheedLightning2E.thumb.jpg.6f6b03ca48b1f4ab95d04ea87218acf9.jpg

Photo credit Derek Robertson -no maiden flight as yet, but I'll follow up with some flying shots when that happens.

23 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

I like the colour scheme and the motor cowls will help with orientation. They come out very heavy and the wing is quite high, but don't worry they fly great (just like a big warbird, funny that!).

IIRC there is a flap/elevator mix suggested, use it as it works really well and is spot on. Lands flaps 1/2 a treat, just factor in its weight, but it bleeds speed off nicely.

PS worth a check as someone across the pond crashed his blaming elevator horn failure, but a lot of comments were he was flying it like a park flyers (if you do vertical dives with full up on the maiden what do you expect!).

Enjoy, I find it a real pleasure to fly, looks great and a keeper, please report on your maiden. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Chris - yes I have the elevator uptrim and flap/elevator mix dialled in. She's definitely a heavy beast - so much so that I abandoned my plan to put a sound system in there, not that there's a lot of room to fit one. The undercarriage upgrade is easier to make than it used to be, the latest nose gear doesn't use the dreaded circlip and I'm hoping that will help with dampening off grass field landings.

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

To be published Peter?

Sorry, No! My brain is going a bt and I made such a dogs dinner of the plan and kept realising stupid things at 2am and haaving tyo change the plans that I gave up.

The result is that no construction pictures have been taken and . I could have PDFs done of my drawings but these are not annotated. but could be used by exxperienced builders,