Could you guys give me your AUW, ? reading through i noticed the jocasta tends to be on the nose heavy side , i expect my bird to be heavy as i started the build early, and cut and fitted all the bulkheads from quarter ply, but as mentioned havent completed it yet , but thought i wold try to aim for a AUW that you guys found to be ok ? k many thanks , Regards Ron. (thanks for the above info mowerman)

Hi Crunch

Just weighed my Jocasta with some nose weight fitted (about 2oz) and it comes out at 5lb, this with the power set as above works out a 80W/lb which is plenty for this type of model. When I flew it last there was a cross wind at our strip so take-off was across the strip (20 Meters) no problem.

Duration for me worked out at 7min+.

Edited By Mowerman on 14/07/2015 19:36:08

Mowerman, ty for the information ,so far i have assembled the fuzz, starboard wing,and central section, and both Ailrons, so will be intrestng to see the final weigh in, although i think is gonna be a lot more than 5lbs,will wait with baited breath , however i was thining of a brand new motor i have stil i box "turnigyD3548/4 1100KV, could always tone it down a bit, but the fit is perfect for this model,and being retired and needing cash may save me a few bob, all views are appriciated.

• 2 weeks later...

As my jocasta flew so well with very short take-offs I decided to try a finer pitch prop to decrease the current draw . With a 13x6.5 fitted the current draw is now 27A giving 300W. The model now flys well with take off still short. Duration is now 12 to 15 mins on 3000 mAh 3s pack. Despite the power now being only 60W/lb she will still loop on full throttle.

Edited By Mowerman on 26/07/2015 14:49:19

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

At last I'm nearly there.. Everything goes up and down, or round and round. Just got fix decals etc. Bit of tidying up.

Here are pics, too windy outside, so I was a bit cramped for space. I guesstimate I have been at for about 100 hours.

Learnt plenty and will do somethings differently next time. Oh, what do you guys think of Robart hinges? Good or bad? I thought I might try them next model.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Infils look ok, cheers for now

Glyn, that looks great, well done! I hope you'll be pleased with the flying performance. When you are ready for the next challenge, look in to my Tiger 72 build blog, it's the next step on from Jocasta, building on what you've already learned, adding a few new skills and throwing in some aerobatic potential.

Let us know how the maiden goes (or went).

Jim.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the kind words. No not flown her as yet, i just like looking at it! Safer that way, no really can't wait, soon as the weather is kind. Must remember the elastic bands though!!!

Jim, I will look at the tiger, especially as I am a Leicester Tigers supporter. It will have to wait awhile as I have bought a kit to build a Wiggo next.

Anyway I thank ALL for your help,advice and support, brilliant.

There will be pics of the maiden of course.

Thanks again, Glyn.

I hope everything goes well for your maiden Glyn; as soon as we get some better weather - it's atrocious here at present (Langley). I flew mine last week for the first time in ages (I've been practicing on a Wot4); it was a lovely calm day and I really enjoyed flying the Jocasta.

This is a really tough plane. I've crashed it twice now. The first time it broke the wing in half, which I repaired; the second time I totally destroyed the wing - in both cases the fuselage remained unscathed. I've since made a new wing, with slightly less dihedral and it flies beautifully. Do remember though what Jim wrote, the Jocasta needs to be flown in on landing.

• 1 month later...

well I am back again, more health issues Docs had me going to a local Gym to get able again.. didn't overcome drug probs. Ne'er mind still struggling with finishing build but intend, if Er indoors is happy to go at it (disgusting Minds) over next week or two.

Will try and follow up soon.

Monty

Good to know your about again. Mine Jocasta is finished, see pics above, but due to damn weather still not flown. Frustrating really.

Hope your recovery goes really well, and you crack on with finishing soon as you feel upto it.

Best wishes for 2016 to you and yours,

Glyn.

Glyn, good job, looked at photies. Wish I had restarted but 'er indoors has other jobs to do, Equally I went round to my Church today to find 2 probs; 1st some evil bastard has had a go at the heating oil tank and 2nd some idiot had turned off the security camera I installed so no evidence.

Looks like I have more important duties to attend too than my Jocasta.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim

I have managed to obtain a copy of your plan & and the build article.

This will be my secong build, the first is a BB Super 60 which is now ready for covering. The Jocasta looks the ideal follow on trainer.

Looking through the plan, build article and this forum, I cannot find any mention of how you hinge the ailerons. I once read that you can use solartex for this, can you please offer some suggestions

Regards

• 1 month later...

Well, little done in last few weeks but hope is still high. Had another incident with thieving bastards at my Church. on way home from local town, turned a corner at about 3:30pm and there was the thieving git, full daylight, filling his cans with our heating oil. I went in to car park and he shot at a rate of knots with me in chase. No luck then but went home called the boys in blue went back to church an nearly hit him head on. He came back for his cans and our oil.

Not end of story, a few days later did some shopping at local store and lo and behold, there was his car in the car park. spent a life in motor trade so not hard to identify, called local fuzz who recognised his Reg and put a name to him.

Hate too say it but a bit more exciting than my efforts at flying.

Posted by Colin Turton Turton on 17/01/2016 10:09:52:

Hi Jim

I have managed to obtain a copy of your plan & and the build article.

This will be my secong build, the first is a BB Super 60 which is now ready for covering. The Jocasta looks the ideal follow on trainer.

Looking through the plan, build article and this forum, I cannot find any mention of how you hinge the ailerons. I once read that you can use solartex for this, can you please offer some suggestions

Regards

Colin, welcome to the forums. People have different methods of hinges. Everyone's mileage will vary.

I use a hing cutting jig to obtain the centre of the piece being hinged.  http://www.slecuk.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=hinge&PN=-Hinge-slitting-jig-inc-Screws-SL028_R.html#SID=45.

Push the scalpel blade or hinge cutting blade into the slot to make the slit into the piece. 

Flocked mylar hinges are handy which you use superglue (cyanoacrylic glue) to secure. They are available from SLEC : http://www.slecuk.com/balsa-wood/Flocked-Cyano-Mylar-Hinge--12-per-Pkt-SL163_R.html

And the vid on how to install and how good they are is here:

Hope it helps.

Edited By John F on 29/02/2016 17:49:03

• 6 years later...

Thanks for pointers i have bought the digital edition ( already had the plan and cnc parts from SLEC at Elvington yesterday ) so can weight up what else I need . 

As an aside the wife uses the printer more than me for knitting patterns, shopping deliveries etc but I'm the only one who puts paper in the damn thing and it's in her workroom on her desk ????  I come to print out the article and guess what ? no paper , am i the only one , I suspect not .

Edited by Brian Dorricott 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 14/08/2022 at 18:09, Brian Dorricott 1 said:

Thanks for pointers i have bought the digital edition ( already had the plan and cnc parts from SLEC at Elvington yesterday ) so can weight up what else I need . 

As an aside the wife uses the printer more than me for knitting patterns, shopping deliveries etc but I'm the only one who puts paper in the damn thing and it's in her workroom on her desk ????  I come to print out the article and guess what ? no paper , am i the only one , I suspect not .

Deep breaths....count to ten....and relaaaaax!