Mini Jazz builders hangout.

Kevin Fairgrieve

As I've already said I am adding some lite ply to the fus between F2-3. While finalising the trial fit I realised that the outside at F3 curves. With ply stuck to the balsa this will be harder.

As the weak area seems to be the thin section between the wing and cockpit I shaped the ply as per the photo attached. 2013-10-31 13.01.09.jpg

Hi Andrew

As you can see from Sparks photo, assuming the cowl is flush it would be 9.2 Cm

You could reduce that distance by taking the cowl outside the fus. [not sure that will work as I've not got that far but it normally does]

The plan shows 7.2 cm so I'd say there is 2 cm of scope to fit the motor/engine of your choice.

Martin

I agree with Martin's measurements.

The cowling could be made usable with a 35mm dia motor by chopping off 15mm from the front of the cowl and gluing on a suitably shaped light ply facing. Having said that, probably just as easy to make a balsa cowling.

I'll probably leave that until after some test flights to optimise the motor down/side thrusts.

Richard

Thanks to both Martin and Sparks....I'm going to build from the original mag plan which shows neither the canopy or the cowl outline so those measurements are very helpful. Moulding the cowl myself also means it can be made to fit the motor i'm going to use (ex foam-e Acro Wot). Also i think i have an ali u/c that will do.

Kev....I might do a build thread but i will have to play in the sandbox first to learn how to add photos and it may well be the new year before i start......after you mate!!smile p

Andrew

img_0851.jpgimg_0853.jpg

Just a couple of shots showing the contents of the HMS CNC Wood Pack and the Additional Wood Pack.

The extra wood pack is a bit skimpy on contents but, in fairness, the overall contents are comprehensive and the wood grades seem to have been quite carefully chosen for their various applications. So, despite being a bit on the pricey side, I think it represents a good choice for first time builders or lazy folks like me who are too idle to cut the bits. For anyone without an existing stock of balsa it would be easy to spend almost as much buying in enough balsa much of which might eventually go to waste if they didn't go on to build something else using the surplus left over from the Mini Jazz build.

I hope to start a proper build blog shortly (resisting temptation for a few days because we might have sold our house and I don't want to have to transport a partly constructed plane!).

Cheers,

John

Edited By John Roberts 9 on 31/10/2013 17:12:00

Thank you Mr HobbyKing, my setup arrived today.

dscf0080.jpg

RX bound first time no problems (no range test done yet). The LiFe showed 6.4 volts after a balance charge, so not sure about that yet. In fact I am not convinced it is going to fit in the space. Servo`s seem happy enough on that voltage as they are only rated to 6 volts.

The switch is an unknown, both in size and suitability. It is quite large and has a charge port. I am thinking that the LiFE will need to be removed for charging/balancing so am doubting is use in this model.

Kev

We had a maintenance session at our club field, so I've been fixing the electric fence [used to keep sheep out!]

Meantime I'm hoping to get the engine mount in the post tomorrow so my Mini Jazz, which looks great naked, can continue to covering..

I must have sanded half a tree off the fus to get a nice sleek shape and keep some weight off.

Care warning -- I cut the cockpit cover to the guide and it is a bit small - doh. So I have a plan to fit a little balls edge that the cover can fix to.

Note to self - don't trust anyone, check it yourself, and twice before you cut!!

I have been checking the various parts from the laser cut kit and found this:

tail_plane_1.jpg

As you can see, the tailpane inner 'rib' is too short, so will have to be repaced.

Laser cutter please note!

Edited By Sparks on 04/11/2013 15:03:30

Edited By Sparks on 04/11/2013 15:03:58

Hi Sparks

I thought I'd lost the right part and re-cut as there is plenty of spare wood!

Also why did they not provide D1&2 in the pack? I made up from the surplus wood but at the price I feel they should be included.

Only a little niggle in an otherwise good set of cut parts.

As I have mentioned before, I am uncomfortable with the new +3deg tailplane incidence angle.

I shall revert to 0 deg incidence and reduce the main wing incidence angle from +3deg to +0.5deg to compensate..

Have a look at Bango's excellent video (HERE) about incident angles and draw your own conclusions.

Sparks