96 quid gloves

• 2 weeks later...

The ones on ebay are demo 'try & fly' pairs...not brand new ones. If you are a member of a club, I am happy to send some demo pairs out to your club for you to examine & have a go with..then you can make an informed decision......once that has happened, I can't sell them as new...hence the demo pairs being on ebay at a reduced price.

I do understand that the price issue and the feedback I have had is that once actually seen, used and examined, people can see where the cost is involved. I remember buying my first goretex kagool in the early 80's and it was about £100 at the time(which was considerably more than a non breathable kagool at that time)....the difference however was staggering...no condensation on the inside....etc....and so it is with these gloves...they are not comparable with other gloves on the market.

Ask your club committee to approach me about some demo ones for your club to borrow for a weekend to 'try & fly' and you may find that you like them, and if they are not for you....you can at least make an informed decision.

Many thanks

Kevin

Posted by Dave Miller on 23/11/2013 08:22:44:

I could be more easily swayed as to their value to me if I saw an independent review in the press.

Dave, I can give you an independent view having bought & used a pair, I have no other connection with rcgloves.com

I fly a lot & all year round and I settled on using thin leather gloves for winter flying a long time ago. I have tried driving gloves, cotton & thinsulate lined gloves, and latterly have been using some mid quality (£20) M&S gloves. They work OK but invariably my hands get cold after an hour or so but I found any warmer gloves limited mobility too much. I bought, tried & discarded a Tx muff & the Johnson RC gloves (adapted ski gloves available a couple of years ago) as I found both too compromised & clumsy in use.

The rcgloves looked to be a step forward and after much self debate I ordered a pair. Acknowledgement was immediate & the gloves arrived promptly.

My initial impression on receipt was a bit disappointing. I opened the pack and there were…… a pair of gloves. Well two pairs actually, the outer leather gloves & inner liners. They did not seem any better than the M&S gloves. I think subconsciously at the price I expected more bling but there was no hint of sequins or purple anodised aluminium. Things improved a bit when I tried them on, with a perfect fit, much better than the generic ‘small/med/large’ sizes. I then looked a bit closer & could see that there were other real improvements in the leather quality, the fine stitching & lack of prominent seams. The outer leather gloves are a couple of inches longer than standard gloves & extend onto the wrist so there is no gap between a jacket sleeve & the glove. Still seemed a lot of money though & they did not feel particularly warm in the house.

I used them as ordinary gloves for a few days where they were perfectly fine, warm & comfortable, if not exceptional. Then at the flying field I found that I could operate all day without having to remove them. I’m used to flying with gloves but invariably have had to take them off at times for delicate tasks. However with the new gloves I found I could assemble the models, change batteries, switch model memories, fly, get your hankie out all quite easily with them on. At the same time my hands were comfortably warm, the insulation is well judged. It’s been a relatively mild winter so far and the coldest I’ve flown in is in 5 degrees & 14knot winds but at that I was quite happy and had warm hands all day (I use ski gear for my other clothing). It was a slow realisation but the gloves do actually work as advertised. For the first time in 25 years I’ll now consider going slope soaring in the winter rather than being confined to a couple of quick flights at the local field.

I think these are these are the best option I’ve used for flying in the cold. To some extent it’s still the ‘least worst’ option as there is inevitably some reduced mobility & feel but If you can bear to fly with gloves (& I know some can’t) they are significantly better in use than any other I have tried. Yes they are expensive but judging by the quality they should be a one off purchase which will see out my flying career. I hope they are a bit like my Tilley hat which I got for my birthday some 22 years ago, that seemed eye wateringly expensive at the time, but it’s still going today, so it turned out to be by far the cheapest headgear in the long run.

Posted by John Lee on 12/12/2013 15:26:35:
Posted by Dave Miller on 23/11/2013 08:22:44:

I could be more easily swayed as to their value to me if I saw an independent review in the press.

Dave, I can give you an independent view having bought & used a pair, I have no other connection with rcgloves.com

I fly a lot & all year round and I settled on using thin leather gloves for winter flying a long time ago. I have tried driving gloves, cotton & thinsulate lined gloves, and latterly have been using some mid quality (£20) M&S gloves. They work OK but invariably my hands get cold after an hour or so but I found any warmer gloves limited mobility too much. I bought, tried & discarded a Tx muff & the Johnson RC gloves (adapted ski gloves available a couple of years ago) as I found both too compromised & clumsy in use.

The rcgloves looked to be a step forward and after much self debate I ordered a pair. Acknowledgement was immediate & the gloves arrived promptly.

My initial impression on receipt was a bit disappointing. I opened the pack and there were…… a pair of gloves. Well two pairs actually, the outer leather gloves & inner liners. They did not seem any better than the M&S gloves. I think subconsciously at the price I expected more bling but there was no hint of sequins or purple anodised aluminium. Things improved a bit when I tried them on, with a perfect fit, much better than the generic ‘small/med/large’ sizes. I then looked a bit closer & could see that there were other real improvements in the leather quality, the fine stitching & lack of prominent seams. The outer leather gloves are a couple of inches longer than standard gloves & extend onto the wrist so there is no gap between a jacket sleeve & the glove. Still seemed a lot of money though & they did not feel particularly warm in the house.

I used them as ordinary gloves for a few days where they were perfectly fine, warm & comfortable, if not exceptional. Then at the flying field I found that I could operate all day without having to remove them. I’m used to flying with gloves but invariably have had to take them off at times for delicate tasks. However with the new gloves I found I could assemble the models, change batteries, switch model memories, fly, get your hankie out all quite easily with them on. At the same time my hands were comfortably warm, the insulation is well judged. It’s been a relatively mild winter so far and the coldest I’ve flown in is in 5 degrees & 14knot winds but at that I was quite happy and had warm hands all day (I use ski gear for my other clothing). It was a slow realisation but the gloves do actually work as advertised. For the first time in 25 years I’ll now consider going slope soaring in the winter rather than being confined to a couple of quick flights at the local field.

I think these are these are the best option I’ve used for flying in the cold. To some extent it’s still the ‘least worst’ option as there is inevitably some reduced mobility & feel but If you can bear to fly with gloves (& I know some can’t) they are significantly better in use than any other I have tried. Yes they are expensive but judging by the quality they should be a one off purchase which will see out my flying career. I hope they are a bit like my Tilley hat which I got for my birthday some 22 years ago, that seemed eye wateringly expensive at the time, but it’s still going today, so it turned out to be by far the cheapest headgear in the long run.

Thanks John for taking the time to post a balanced and very comprehensive review. Quality has always been expensive but, as you have found, often translates into good value in time. yes

Anyone who suffers with any form of Reynauds and enjoys Slope Soaring will understand the pain of cold hands.

I have a mild form and have always suffered badly and never found a glove that really helps very much. I did get a pair of the neoprene fishing gloves from Aldi and they do help.

For those who are more adventurous and keen diy'ers (most of us are), here is a link to make your own heated gloves;

**LINK**

You can purchase the Beadalon wire for them at;

**LINK**

I am sure that these could be driven off a lipo in a pocket. I have not tried this yet as I wanted them for ordinary use before returning to rc and was unaware of Lipo batteries. If anyone does give this a try I would like to know how they turn out.

Rob

• 3 months later...

To all the uninformed nay-sayers of the product at RCGloves.com - you should try a pair, instead of spouting the usual barstool expert, bargain basement negativity.

I've just flown every day for a week at the East coast of Yorkshire - and wouldn't have lasted five minutes without these beauties. And, believe me, I've tried all the alternatives. Great coastal lift and blue skies, but freezing conditions, are just too good to miss with a car full of flying kit worth hundreds of quid - and without a pair of these gloves I'd have given up. Instead, I enjoyed HOURS of flying - my hands and fingers neither overheating nor getting painfully freezing.  All switches and sliders are easily felt and even using the touchscreen on my Aurora 9 for in-flight adjustments was perfectly possible.

They are so good, in fact, the product developer and owner has just been bought out by people who clearly have great vision rather than just a kneejerk nod to price.

So now you can a REAL bargain by checking out the website. I'm getting a second pair - just in case.

Worth every penny. The price merely, of a single, proper quality wing servo for a pukka F3f machine.

Ro.

Edited By RGPuk on 12/04/2014 21:34:36

Edited By RGPuk on 13/04/2014 05:01:45

These were on my to buy list but following the reduction in price I had to buy a pair.

Ordered a size too big initially and Kevin exchanged them with no hassle. Wouldn't even accept payment for the sending of the second pair.

Not used in anger yet, will have to wait until next winter now.

Andy

Posted by RGPuk on 12/04/2014 21:33:50:

To all the uninformed nay-sayers of the product at RCGloves.com - you should try a pair, instead of spouting the usual barstool expert, bargain basement guff.

I've just flown every day for a week at the East coast of Yorkshire - and wouldn't have lasted five minutes without these beauties. And, believe me, I've tried all the alternatives. Great coastal lift and blue skies, but freezing conditions, are just too good to miss - and without a pair of these gloves I'd have given up. Instead, I enjoyed HOURS of flying - my hands and fingers neither overheating nor getting painfully freezing.

They are so good, in fact, the product developer and owner has just been bought out by people who clearly have great vision rather than a kneejerk nod to price.

Get yourself a REAL bargain by checking out the website. I'm getting a second pair - just in case.

Worth every penny. The price merely, of a single, proper quality wing servo for a pukka F3f machine.

Ro.

Whats a kneejerk nod ?

Edited By john melia 1 on 12/04/2014 23:13:24

Posted by john melia 1 on 12/04/2014 23:10:57:
Posted by RGPuk on 12/04/2014 21:33:50:

They are so good, in fact, the product developer and owner has just been bought out by people who clearly have great vision rather than a kneejerk nod to price.

Get yourself a REAL bargain by checking out the website. I'm getting a second pair - just in case.

Ro.

Whats a kneejerk nod ?

Rather painful, by the sound of it!

Posted by john melia 1 on 12/04/2014 23:10:57

Whats a kneejerk nod ?

A combination of two idiomatic expressions - in this case an automatic and reflex response of approval, to criticism of the perceived high price.

I liked the alliteration.

But the gloves are still damn good - worth it at full price and now a steal until the stock disappears for good.

Ro.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 13/04/2014 09:27:26:

"Worth every penny. The price merely, of a single, proper quality wing servo for a pukka F3f machine."

merely? crying

Indeed angel Nearly a hundred quid for a pair of gloves? How much is the matching handbag?

The comparison with a single, proper quality wing servo at, presumably. something like a hundred quid does have something of the air of a Marie Antoinette comment, but I guess in the long run, if it enables someone to carry on flying when they other wise could not do so than it might be worth that investment to them.

Perhaps a better comparison would have been with a pair of high quality prescription flying glasses, which are a necessity for some people to be able to continue in the hobby on a sunny day.

I was surprised to see a multi-page review of the gloves, in another magazine, and TBH didn't bother to read the article and skipped over it. The detailed description of the gloves in this thread gives food for thought though.

Posted by leccyflyer on 13/04/2014 09:37:06:

Indeed angel Nearly a hundred quid for a pair of gloves? How much is the matching handbag?

The comparison with a single, proper quality wing servo at, presumably. something like a hundred quid does have something of the air of a Marie Antoinette comment ........

Point accepted.

My decision to take the leap with the gloves was due to finding myself in the daft situation of to having to leave hundreds of quids worth of two F3f machines in the car after having travelled miles to a hill on a perfect flying day - fingers were so cold in seconds in the wind chill that I couldn't even do the assembly ready for flight.

Then I had to watch someone, wearing the gloves, fly comfortably and continuously for 40+ minutes in the icy blast on the edge. Like me, he had been a sceptic up until then about both the glove's effectiveness and tactile practicality for trim adjustment etc.

If they might suit anyone, then it'd be a shame to miss out before they disappear for good - especially at the reduced price of 50 quid a pair.

Ro.

Just got home from a business trip to find my new gloves have arrived.

The inners are comfortable, very soft and quite stretchy. The leather is the softest leather I have ever seen, it is absolutely top quality, they feel like a second skin if you put them on without the inners. With the inners on I can tell that they are going to be very good at keeping my hands at a nice temperature and yet I can pick a 5p piece up off the table very easily. I am very impressed so far