Skyways (Masons Models) Hawk 70

Posted by Percy Verance on 17/10/2013 18:46:56:

I'll never forget watching a chap flying a Hawk 70 during an interval at the 1978 World Championships. He flew the model around himself, really close in, control line style. I don't recall him being above about 25ft at any time. Very memorable.

That was me Percy! It was the original Hawk 70 with flat bottom airfoil & progressive washout, fitted with a twin plug Merco 60 & MacGregor Digimav IV. I made use of the characteristics of light wingloading, being very stable upright & unstable inverted. It did fantastic negative flicks and could turn in an incredible small radius & enabled me to do proper 3D decades before the term was invented. I was inspired by Neil Williams' (full size) displays & his book 'Aerobatics' which describes in detail the variations on the Lomcevak which I spent hours practicing at progressively lower levels before that day at Woodvale.

Today I'm still flying its sister, the Chipperhawk, with a Laser 70, a bit higher now but still sometimes keep everything within the confines of our strip.

fly boy3, I still get nice comments about that display after 35 years, trust me its FULLY aerobatic in standard form. Good luck with it.

John

• Like 1

Cheers John, Gobsmacked ! here I am trying to alter the design of a model flown to perfection in standard form at a world champions event. I must be mad LoL. Will build to plan, my Laser 61 will be up front, not as much grunt as the Merco 60, 2stroke, but should be ok for my style of flying. Thanks.

• 9 months later...

Hi FlyBoy3, did you finish the Hawk and how do you find it?

I am thinking about getting one to replace my ( now departed) Calamoto and wanted something as docile as that but more scale-like in appearance. I rather like the look of the Hawk or the Moth Minor although not sure if that is currently available.

Trevor

Mike Lovell did a slightly smaller version called the Bandit published in Aviation Modeller International Sept 1999 . His article describes how it was developed from the Hawk but now with semi symmetrical wing section.  At 60 inches for a .40 twostroke it looks a good plane for plan builders.  Single open cockpit..  All built up balsa - no foam parts. . As AMI is now part of Model Flyer the plan is still be available from ADH.  Plan No 18 price 12.50 pounds

Edited By kc on 18/08/2014 11:30:39

Thanks everone

Percy, I telephoned Masons today and had a very helpful conversation with them. There is a short delay on the Moth and Hawk, ( until the bank holiday) but the Kestrel is available and I think I am going to try one of these as I have a spare OS 40 that needs a home. Just awaiting the price.

KC thanks for the plan ref; I am checking that out as well.

iqon, that Chippahawk looks really good; I have an Airsail Chippie so I want something a little different. I must admit that I like the idea of the foam wings as I'd like to complete the build this season if I can- I don't know if that will be feasible

Trevor

Posted by Percy Verance on 18/08/2014 21:20:29:

Nice. You can't beat a Chippy. Good solid reliable performer. Same fuselage and wings (or at least used to be) as the Hawk 70.

are you sure Brian? I seem to remember my Chippie having a semi-symetrical section, but the Hawk wing cores I have are flat bottomed.

KC, thanks for the heads up on the article; I will have a look.

Ian, I am waiting for Masons to get back to me with the current prices, but from what they were saying the Kestrel will be circa £120, the Hawk a bit more and the Moth Minor a bit more still ( I don't think that they have worked out their pricing strategy yet, but the prices on the web site are not up to date it seems.b

your Kestrel looked brilliant; shame that it is no more. It reminds me of my rebuilt Seagull Spacewalker- I crashed it and wrecked all but the tail plane and the fuselage behind the rear cockpit. I made some foam wings, rebuilt the front end and put a Chipmunk cowl on it ( a replacement for the Airsail one). I painted it up just like yours; it flew well but I rolled it into the ground nose first - buried the whole cowl. That was the end of that but it was a rewarding project.

Percy, I think you are right about the airfoil from what I have read. The wings have washout as well.

Trevor

Will do Percy - I really ought to finish my Falcon Tiger Moth first, but I have convinced myself that is a long term project so it can stand a bit of a delay - I shall be petrified flying it so a few more hours under the belt on something simpler will do no harm. I will give Masons a call tomorrow and see if I can give them some money.

I would like to add some scaleish details - even if its a few dozen rivets and a couple of instrument panels.