52" WS Depron Blackburn Buccaneer Pusher Scratchbuild

First post so be gentle.......
Invited to this forum by Depron Daz, I suppose a good place to start would be to post some photo's of a recent build that I undertook of the Blackburn (HS) Buccaneer.
It was my sole intention after completing my build of a 100" WS Vulcan to try and recreate the lines of another of the iconic cold war era jets. Having not seen any flying models of the Bucc', wondered if it didn't lend itself to being modelled but thriving on a challenge, went ahead with my own design. Like most other scratchbuilders, worked solely from 3 views and photographs,
he build took 7 weeks from first cut to Maiden flight. Although she doesn't get taken out too regularly, is still one of the nicest aircraft I have ever built and flown.

A few tech' spec's for you:
52" Wingspan, 73" from tip to tail. AUW: 5lb 2 oz. Motor 1450KV 35mm Outrunnner (pusher) on 4s 3500 Lipo which produces around 800W with a 7" prop'. 60A ESC, 16g metal geared servos all round. Bungee - launched.

Once I have worked out how to post photographs, I'll upload....bear with me.

Obviously, it's going to take a bit of time to upload just a few of the many photographs that I have taken throughout the builds but as and when I get the time, there'll be more to follow. It wouldn't be fair of me to try and pass this off as a build log and so if I'm posting in the wrong area of the forum, I'm sure someone will advise?

bucupdate.jpg

The fuselage keel and formers from 6mm Depron

bucupdate1.jpg

The basic fuselage components.

bucupdate2.jpg

Front to rear view of the formers on the keel

bucupdate3.jpg

Basic Fuz' parts assembled and nose laid in place to give the desired effect

bucupdate4.jpg

Starboard wing (6mm Depron) . 6mm Carbon tube used as main wing joiner. The front wing locator will be brass tubing

bucupdate5.jpg

Aileron cut into starboard wing

bucupdate6.jpg

The semi-symmetrical airfoil section

bucupdate7.jpgThe wing pair ready for servo installation prior to 3mm depron skinning.

I'm getting really excited about the development of these depron models. These latest models by Depron Daz393 and Electriflier are really pushing forward this relatively new modelling material and method of construction to new levels. Well done Guy's, really enjoying the thread.

Any chance of any plans in the near future for us less talented modelling mortals??

John.

That's a beautiful model. I'm impressed with the way you got the area ruled fuselage curves made up with Depron.

I don't know about it being a flying brick, just that it was really solidly designed and built for carrier and low level flying (thick air with lots of lumps in it and heavy landings!) and the fuel used to last for hours (according to an article i once read in Air Clues!). Keep the photos coming.

Hi Again,

Well, I'm overwhelmed by the comments from you guys - thank you!
Roy: I dont know about making t look easy! Bear in mind this model was built earlier this year and you weren't around when the air was blue with cussing when things were going wrong. I know what you mean though. Plenty of practice is the simple answer.
Daz: Don't blame me for your Depron addiction. You did that yourself when you started the Vulcan!

David: Yeah, I too love the portly look of the Bucc'. It sort of looks heavy yet sleek, awkward yet beautiful. I just HAD to model this aircraft.

Stefan: I agree, the Bucc is undermodelled and frankly, one of the main reasons I took it on. Aware that it might not make a good flying model for reasons that Jamie mentions when he asks about her being called the 'flying brick', I thrived on the challenge of making it work. Now I know it does work, I'm confused as to why it hasn't been done to death.

JohnnyB Plans? - I get asked this often and nothing would please me more than to be able to say 'yes, how big do you want them?' The truth is, I have not produced any plans for the Vulcan/s or the Buccaneer sadly and for me to do them retrospectively would be almost impossible as I simply don't have the time. That said, I'm currently building a 1.8M de-Havilland Sea Vixen in Depron and i have produced drawings for that although I would be embarrassed to call them anything like professional.

Toni: You're absolutely correct in what you say!. I too can testify to the strength of the airframe as I've had one or two rather heavy landings with the Bucc' that caused absolutely no damage whatsoever. As I have already mentioned, a flying brick she ain't, she flies like on rails and has power a plenty.

I hope I haven't missed anyone but if I have, apologies. I'll do my best to get some more pictures uploaded so for now.......
Regards Roy

A few more pictures for you.
fri15.jpg
s
tarting to take shape
fri15-2.jpg
fuzbottom.jpg
fuztop.jpg
Starting of the coring out process.....fuztop1.jpg
the formers were not exactly perfect and required 'tweaking' to get the correct shape. This was due largely to the coarseness of the enlarged 3 views.mon.jpg
OK, I cheated! it's not an all-moving tail. I converted it to a conventional elevator. 'T' tail made from 12mm depron (2x6mm laminated. That strange brown stuff you can see at the trailing edge is called 'balsa' I think lol
mon2.jpg
servo placement in the vertical stab. Also the vertical was reinforced with 6mm carbon tubing.
mon1.jpg

Blue foam rough shape cut to form the tail fairing. Once sanded down worked a treat.
mon4.jpg
fuz skinned in 3mm depron sheeting. This process to a good couple of days
mon5.jpg

mon6.jpg
mon7.jpg
the model almost completely skinned
mon8.jpg

mon9.jpg

Ready for the first filling/sanding session prior to painting with acrylic grey.
More to follow........

Firstly, I must again apologise for the lack of commentary and for the fact that a lot of the pictures of the skinning process are missing (can't find 'em). I should really have called it a 'brief pictorial synopsis'.

A picture paints a thousand words or so they say.....so here's a few more.bucwed.jpg

Tail cone on and first coat of grey acrylic primer applied prior to sanding
bucwed1.jpg
bucwed2.jpg
The green camo' pattern is painted on and then all rubbed down again with 1200 grit wet and dry before first coat of acrylic varnish

bucwed3.jpg

This effect (between the green and the grey) is called 'wet finish' according to the Vulcan guys at Finningley. This coat of paint has been finely sanded ready for varnish coat 1

bucwed4.jpg

the varnish coat does make a huge difference

bucwed5.jpg
Just to give you an idea of size, this pic shows the original 82" Vulcan in the same part of the garden

bucwed6.jpg

Paint job complete

bucwed8.jpg
drop1.jpg

I thought the Bucc' was missing something so I decided to make some removeable drop tanks which would fit between the wing and the fuz. Lightply keel and the rest depron.

drop2.jpg

in-situ on the wing joiner

drop3.jpg

first coat of paint applied

drop4.jpg

That looks much better. I also added some EPO drop tanks as missiles on the wing outer donated to me by a fellow flier.thurs9.jpg

And here she is on her second flightsun2ndjune1.jpg

You may notice also that I added the iconic 'belly bulge' bomb bay to the model which not only improves her overall appearance but adds extra height to keep the 7" prop' well clear of the ground

The refuelling probe or biro pen is exactly that! I warmed a clear plastic biro case over a gas flame and gently bent the thing to resemble the refueller. All I had to do then was use the biro cap as the socket in the nose of the model to make it removeable.

sun2ndjune2.jpg

Great picture by C Butterworthbucclowlevel.jpg
Renowned for it's low-level capabilities

bucclowlevel2.jpg
So, apart from posting videos of the maiden and second flights, that's about it for my first thread. Hope it's been of some use and maybe inspired someone else to give it a go. Thanks for listening.

Maiden Video

2nd Flight (with added drop tanks/missiles and belly bulge)

Edited By Electriflier on 19/10/2013 21:03:04

Edited By Electriflier on 19/10/2013 21:10:34

Absolutely genius work. The Buc has been rarely modelled and you filmed its maiden too! Very brave.  It's a very good looking model in the air to boot.

The only issues I have is not with the superb and very humbling modelling but the camera work. I was nearly sick on my laptop watching vid no2!!

I loved the landings, the aircraft looked like it handles very well, but the camera shake also stopped.

Edited By John F on 20/10/2013 07:21:34

Hey Roy - this is a great model - Matt and I have been looking at the Bucc for a while for PSS but not yet started, its great to see another modeller creating stuff (and such wonderful stuff too) from a simple 3-view drawing and a few ideas...

The model has come out looking stunning, well done! And the inflight shots - wow! like its been said already, very difficult to differentiate from the full-size - LOVE the LL shots with the shadows... that's SO just like the real one!!!!

Congrats on a fantastic O/D model, great work.