Building Tony's Beaufighter

Hi All,

Now that Christmas and the new year festivities are over I have moved aside my Topflight P40 (waiting to be painted) and made space on my work bench to start a new project. I have wanted to build the Beaufighter for several years and this is going to be my first I.C twin.

Over the years, I have purchased the plans cowls and canopies along with a pair of Irvine 46's.

Just recently, I have bought enough wood for the build as well as the some of the hardware.

I intend to give all six channels, including a retracting tail wheel as well as some detailing to the cockpit.

At this point I would like to thank Tony Nijhuis for giving his permission for the guys at Belair to make me a CNC kit, this has saved me a lot of time. I had the kit made back in 2008 with at the time every intention of starting it but other builds just seem to get started first.

I will start at the tail end then will move onto the fus. I'll put up some photos as I progress.

Has any one else built one of these?

I hope to build one of these after I've managed a Spit and before a Lanc. Might be a little while....

I saw a version somewhere that looked a bit chunky. Do you know how realistic this one is meant to be Martin? The Mick Reeves one looks good but I think that most of it isn't balsa - and the kit costs £700. Have I had too much brandy butter?

Will follow with interest. Thanks in advance Martin.

Hi All,

Just taken a few photos of the the build so far. I have built the tailplane (core), elevators, rudder and fin.

My Model Room AwaitsGot the wood time to build

All of the wood, CNC cut parts and other bits.

Elevators

Elevators, sheet core with ribs both sides

Fin & Rudder

Rudder, same method as the elevators, whilst the fin is two 6mm sheets glued together

Tailplane joined

Finally the tailplane core placed together, very flimsy structure at the moment it will be covered with 1.5mm sheet

Nigel, I'll quote Tony in his build article "...is built to 1/10th scale and is designed around the ubiquitous 25 to 40 size of engine employing a simple all sheet construction with flaps and optional retracts and capable of being built by any modeller who has built from a few plans or even just kits........" he was describing his first version from 1990. In 2000, the plans were re-drawn. The examples shown in the article have been finished well and look great. My inspiration to start with, that and the revel 1/48th kit.

More coming soon

Robert

Thanks Robert.

I had a(nother) senior moment and read 'mosquito' for beaufighter so I was talking out of my bottom as usual.

Still a great plane though and I remember building the Airfix version many years ago.

I'll still be looking forward to following the build.

Good luck.

Hi All,

Yes, I do prefer to start with the tail feathers as I have a greater selection of wood , I'm trying to keep them light as possible due to the short nose and not wanting to add too much extra weight.

I'm also having second thoughts on the retractable tail wheel to save some weight, still got a little time before making that decision.

Terry, As far as to which variant it will be, the FB MK VI or TF MK X are my 1st choices but no thimble noses. I do like the hedgehog exhausts, they seem perfect for the two stroke exhaust position and I also fancy knocking up a tinfish. As for colour scheme, coastal command or desert scheme, I will be painting my P40 in the desert scheme later when the weather allows spraying outside.

I have done a little more whilst trying to battle the new stream I now have running across the top of my garden. I have never seen water flowing through a 9" thick brick wall before. Below are a couple of photos, the first is where I have deviated from plan slightly, I wanted to set up the fin and tailplane so that the fin would be a tight fit between the ribs and at the correct angle so I can up with this idea. Clamping a square to the bench, then fitting the fin into position clamping the fin to the square then equalling the height of each tailplane half, when happy I tack glued ribs either side allowed to dry removed the fin and firmly glued the ribs and checking again when dry.

Tailplane & Fin Setup

Once done, I have started on the sheeting of the tailplane. I will again deviate from the plan have thought about the thickness of the trailing edge of the tailplane as it is only 4.5mm thick so I will be placing blocks where the hinges will be located and the same for the elevators and fin. easier to add now than regret later.

Tailplane Sheeting

I have also shaped the elevators and rudder as well as the fin.

More soon

Robert

Hi All,

I have now completed the tailplane, elevators,fin and rudder and all have been shaped, sanded just need to give a final sanding down when joined to the fus.

Below are some photos since the last ones.

dsc08695 (1024x681).jpg

Bottom sheeting applied

dsc08702 (1024x681).jpg

Tips added and sanded to shape. I tack glued the elevators in place and glued the tips to both the tailplane and elevators then planed and sanded to shape then used a coping saw to cut the tip. As you can see the whole tail assembly weighs only 90 grams (3 1/4 oz in old money)

Now that these have been done I can now make a start on the fus. By have Belair fabricate all of the formers this has saved some time in cutting out all of the formers. I will however, re-cut the last former F10 as this holds the tailwheel assembly and I will make a ply one. I have opted for a retracting tailwheel.

The sides are joined at the rear see below and Belair have made a neat dovetailed joint.

dsc08698 (1024x681).jpg

This done and the ply doubles added and all of the formers marked out. I have noticed a note on the drawing from Tony that the cut out for the wing is to be done after the formers have been fitted. I can only assume this is because the sides may spilt on bending them around F2. I'm hoping that a good soaking will preventing this. The cutouts have already been done for me.

dsc08699 (1024x681).jpg

We are now ready to fit formers F4, F5 & F6. F4 & F5 have been tack joined, with F6 this is in two halves again and is located at the trailing edge of the wing. Mine is as per plan but when offered over the cross section of the fus it is 5mm short. I have glued a piece on also it is worth mentioning that you need two F6a's, if any one fancies building one.

dsc08704 (681x1024).jpg

Finally, I have fitted the three formers

dsc08700 (1024x681).jpg

That concludes this instalment, until the next time I will be making a new former for F10 and trial fitting the retracting tailwheel unit, joining the fus sides, fitting the snake outers and closed loop and adding some sheeting.

Robert

Hi All,

Just a quick update. I have joined the fus and nose. To get the balsa to wrap around the formers, I sprayed the sides both inside and out and clamped the sides pulling in gradually and leaving for a few hours and then wetting again tightening the clamps bit and leaving a couple more hours when I got the balsa to shape I released the clamps and applied the glue and clamped up again and left over-night before releasing the clamps.

dsc08705 (1024x681).jpg

Joining the fus on my SLEC building board must be nearly 20 years old now.

dsc08707 (1024x681).jpg

Gently does it

dsc08708 (1024x681).jpg

Finally, got it to get the curvature.

Now for the rear and I am going for the retracting tailwheel as it only weighs 22g. I have bought a Robart unit and I am looking at reversing the piano wire so that the wheel retracts as per full size that is forwards looking at my references, just need to spend a little time on setting out the closed loop and push rod / snake and not to clash with the rudder and elevator snakes.

Robert

Yes, it was quite a challenge, but I have an even greater one underway. I have fitted the former at the front of the cockpit which sits on top of the structure so it is just relying on the glue joint alone.

I have been looking at the tailwheel again and for it work in as per full size, ie retracting forwards the closed loop increases in length when retracted with the Robart unit by about 12mm. Also, it is a little crowded at the aft end with two elevator snakes, rudder snake, closed loop and retract snake al in a 40mm space. am I trying to achieve too much?

Hi All,

The basic fuselage crutch is together. Almost ready for sheeting.

dsc08750 (684x1024).jpg

dsc08751 (1024x681).jpg

Cockpit floor fitted

dsc08752 (1024x681).jpg

Now this one I'm going to put to the forum, where to put the tailwheel? The snakes have been placed in position for illustration purposes.

Position "A" suits the retract unit and put the tailwheel in the correct position when lowered.

Position "B" would be where it should go if I was a scale purist with the correct direction of retraction, however, my main problem with this is that as the wheel retracts the closed loop / snake run would increase in length as I have mentioned above and still not sorted this one out. The unit is easy enough to reverse.

Finally, there is an option "C", which is fixed to the former to the right of position "A"

dsc08753 (1024x681).jpg

mmmmmmmmmm

Robert

Enjoying your build Robert, you must put the tailwheel where you feel is right. I am the sort that would have to put it where it should be, but you are the one that will watch it do a low pass. If it will bother you then go the extra mile if you can live with it then you can take the easier option. I am not sure why the closed loop steering is shortening if the wheel isretracting forwards, are you connecting it to the rudder? On a Mustang I have used a seperate set of cables from the forward mounted servo, inboard holes on the arms and fed those wires to the tailwheel. The Mustang retracts forwards too as you no doubt know wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Hi All,

After much thought, I have decided on what to do with the tailwheel and thanks to Danny who summed it up quite well in saying I'll be the one watching it do a low pass and where the tailwheel is at that point will not be at the fore front of my mind.

The build is going well and I am enjoying it so far, then work gets in the way, retirement is only 18 years away.

This week I have carried out more thinking time than building time, and have fixed the tailwheel and have moved slightly out of sequence and fitted the radio gear and snakes. As once the fuselage has been skinned there is no access so I wanted to make sure I had enough space and everything worked without conflict.

dsc08757 (1024x681).jpg

dsc08759 (1024x681).jpg

If anyone is going to build one of these I would suggest that you fit the snakes before fitting the slanted half formers (f6a) as they really make things tight.

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

Not the best of weeks this week, travelling 120 miles each way to work has taken it's toll on the build a bit.

I would like to thank SLEC for the timber being marked as soft and medium and The Servo shop and Al's Hobbies for the servos

However, I have tried and tested the servos and had to move the retract servo and straighten out the run of the snake. I have epoxied all of the outers in place. smiley

No stopping the sheeting now.

dsc08760 (1024x681).jpg

dsc08762 (1024x681).jpg

dsc08761 (1024x681).jpg

The top sheeting is longer than 36" so I jointed the top and bottom sides and shaped to fit. I also had to add to the width of the 4" sheet for the top as the front was not wide enough to cover behind the cockpit area.

I glued the top sheets to the sides and waited for it to set (I used cyano). The sides were wetted and starting from the front I worked my way aft wards pulling in the sides, two things went a bit wrong at this point, firstly my pva glued joint had come apart and the wood was in twist, secondly, I had created a "starved horse" look at the rear end. Before the glue had set both sides have now been removed.sad

dsc08766 (1024x681).jpg

Ooops

I am now thinking of either buying a couple of 6" x 48" sheets or planking the sides.

Finally, I have glued together the nose 8 laminations of 1/2" sheet.

nose

The underside I think I will plank due to the slight curvature of the fus and the section I think are asking a bit too much.

Robert

Hi All,

Just planked the sides to the underside and the front of cockpit area, the planking went fine with no problems, the sheeting to the area just in front of the cockpit was not too bad with the sheeting changing from circular to rectangular with tight corners over 100mm in length meant plenty of water was needed without splitting .

dsc08768 (1024x681).jpg

dsc08769 (1024x681).jpg

Both sides have now been done.

Next planking to the upper sides.

Robert