1/4 scale PSS MB326 Impala

Monz

So... While I wait for the last few bits to arrive from China to finish the Bucc, I've started planning this (Can't have Depron gathering dust, must turn it into slopies!). I'm going to build it from glassed Depron using mostly the same method as the Bucc.

All my scratch builds start off by finding decent three views and wing sections online and then attacking them with Photoshop till I have everything sized, datum'd and incidence'd. A little tip for people that need to print large plans on A4 and glue them together: Save as a PDF and use Acrobat Reader's tile print function. much easier than finding a tile printing app...

This Imp will be in the orange and blue Silver Falcons colours. Busy printing now...

Edited By Monz on 15/03/2014 20:48:01

Posted by Electriflier on 15/03/2014 22:25:37:

Whaooo! Don't I recall someone forbidding me to start my next build until the one before had been finished?surprise
Whatsmore, I thought a humongous Spitfire was in the offing young lady?
Beer and popcorn at the ready, seated comfortably, subscribed!!
Roy

Oi Mr hashtag I'm waiting for bits to finish the other one, I can't just sit here twiddling my thumbs while I have Depron calling to me from it's box... The Spitfire is a long term project, a 'super scale' build, something I want to enter competitions with in the future.

• 7 months later...

This has been on the wall for long enough now, so began by cutting up the print, marking and cutting out the fus. I've started with the rear fus, with the break where it separates on the real thing. It needs to be in two pieces to fit in the car!

• 5 months later...

Been working on this over the weekend. Marking and cutting out formers and bits.

I've glued all the top formers now, I'm building it in top and bottom halves. Don't want any bananas creeping in. Where the fus breaks will be faced with 3mm liteply on each end with dowels running into tubes for alignment and securing.

Hi Monique, this is my favourite aircraft of all time, I'll be enjoying watching this come together. Funny I hadn't noticed this thread before.

I don't know if you ever had the pleasure of watching the earliest PSS models in South Africa among which was an MB 326 scratch built by Vic Hoxley in Port Elizabeth. Apparently his son in law was a Silver Falcon pilot at the time.

Heres a link to an article about them including a few pictures of Vics Impala.

I got my first RC model at Vics hardware store in Port Elizabeth (a local design called Phoenix II kitted by Chris Sweatman in the early 90s). I later went around to Vic's house for some building advice which is the first time I saw his Imp model and it was love at first sight - very inspiring.

I know the Imp was more recently kitted by another lot in South Africa I think with foam wings and glass fuse but memory may be failing me. I missed the boat on that incarnation unfortunatley so it's back to scratching one if I ever get around to it.

Hope you don't mind the boring background info cluttering up your build thread but I REALLY like the Impala!

Edited By Simon P on 04/05/2015 20:18:40

Hi Simon. I started this over a year ago and it's been dormant since. Probably why you hadn't seen it.

I didn't see any of those earliest models in SA, but I remember Chris Sweatman and seeing him fly loads at the old CRF site near Blouberg.

The recent kit you're thinking of is by Anton of AB Models. He has just recently re-released it (which sold out!) so you should get hold of him and order one of the next batch. He ships all over the world and if I was going to buy an Imp kit it would be his. Email him through here: **LINK**

He has recently completed a couple 1/4 scale glass Imps, go to 13:58 here to watch them:

I don't mind any background info as long as it's aviation related

• 8 months later...

Hey Phil, I saw your Correx Imps, very cool.

I've finally gotten back on track with this one.

The past few days have seen the stab completed. It's the usual 6mm core with 3mm skins. I added a 6mm carbon rod down the centre as well as balsa leading and trailing edges.

I've used Robart hinges (will do for all the control surfaces). As with the Bucc, I've sanded the 3mm skins and core to a streamlined trailing edge. I really don't like these chunky six to twelve mm trailing edges on models.

Got a bit more done on the tail feathers.
The vert stab was a bit more difficult as I had to work in the air as opposed to on a flat bench. Lesson for next time...
I started with some balsa square for the leading edge and then added the ribs while that dried. Not in the pic is the depron that I added running between the ribs on the high points. Not for strength, but to prevent the skin dipping between them.
I measured and cut the left and right skins and the pic shows how I form it by 'cold rolling' on the edge of the bench. variations of pressure and number of passes give more or less of a curve. I normally use UHU Por to glue the skins on, but tried the PU instead and I much prefer that now to the Por.
The last pic is the tail dry fitted with a 30cm ruler (total span of the stab is just on a meter!)

Onto the fus now.