What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

• 4 months later...

I looked on Flightradar tracker at 5 o'clock yesterday and there were less than 30 aircraft showing for the whole of the UK. There were no aircraft showing at Gatwick, 2 at Stanstead and only 5 at Heathrow, 1 of which was military and 3 were cargo.

The only things I have seen locally for the last few weeks has been some F15S which come over fairly regularly and a Osprey the other day.

Seems really strange to see the sky so empty.

I'm about 15 miles from Heathrow and I'm one of the people who provide data to Flightradar24.

My receiver is currently able to see TWO aircraft in the area. One is at 35,000 feet, the other at 15,000 and climbing so neither are heading from or to LHR or LGW. Normally I'd be seeing around 20 or 30 aircraft at this time of day.

Posted by Eagle 899 on 21/04/2020 18:57:08:

Just had three big RAF transport aircraft landing at BHX. We live about four miles to the east, inside the ATZ.

Well done chaps yes

Yesterday this was a single C17 Globemaster from 99 Squadron at Brize Norton. They did announce that they woule be doing it via their twitter feed yesterday morning.

These and the A400's have been doing this a lot lately doing multiple circuits and touch and gos' at international airports around the country.

They say it is not connected to the RAF support to the fight against Corona virus but i assume they are just taking advantage while the airports are so quiet that they can do it.

I have had a lot of Hercules and Chinook recently - all below our house and not over it due to our position overlooking a valley.

I contribute to 360Radar so keep a constant eye on things while being stuck at home with camera at the ready.

I get quite a few Beluga over too so Airbus still seem to be busy. Will add some pictures when i get chance.

EDIT: Today we should get C130J Hercules over Manchester and Liverpol and A400M over Newquay, Birmingham and Cardiff 

Edited By Mark Stringer on 22/04/2020 09:56:39

Denis, A company called Ravenair, based at Liverpool has been surveying all around the UK for the last couple of weeks. They have at least 3 Partenavias doing the work. Not sure what they are surveying as last week they had one out over the sea off Wales. (windfarms?)

Posted by Mark Stringer on 22/04/2020 09:51:45:
Posted by Eagle 899 on 21/04/2020 18:57:08:

Just had three big RAF transport aircraft landing at BHX. We live about four miles to the east, inside the ATZ.

Well done chaps yes

Yesterday this was a single C17 Globemaster from 99 Squadron at Brize Norton. They did announce that they woule be doing it via their twitter feed yesterday morning.

These and the A400's have been doing this a lot lately doing multiple circuits and touch and gos' at international airports around the country.

They say it is not connected to the RAF support to the fight against Corona virus but i assume they are just taking advantage while the airports are so quiet that they can do it.

Ah so I saw one doing circuits and bumps, thanks Mark. I'm using FR24 but will have a look at 360Radar smiley

Posted by Eagle 899 on 22/04/2020 11:39:34:
will have a look at 360Radar smiley

The A400 has already been and done his bit this morning .. started in Newquay then BHX and just finished at Cardiff.

Not sure if he will do it all again today?

For anyone down south a Eurofighter is trailing a Voyager tanker at the moment - heading towards the Isle of Wight at the moment

Just a short while ago there were three heavies inbound, two to LHR and one to LGW, non-UK airlines originating from Jeddah, Instanbul, and Algiers.

Seems to me if you think we are being protected by flights not taking place you are wrong, as this sort of traffic has been taking place throughout, inc regular flights to and from Pakistan, Dohah, Singapore, various mainland China, etc, etc.

There were also quite a few GA around today doing what appeared to be non-essential flying, inc circuits and bumps.

What conclusion is to be made? Follow the money.