What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

Here's a curious track I spotted earlier today on FR24 on my phone, whilst it was still in the air.

This screenshot is taken from the 'playback' facility on flightradar24's website;

pc12track.jpg

The aircraft was a PC12 and departed from Exeter at shortly after 09:00 this morning. It then traced the track in my screenshot, flying at 210 to 220 kts initially at 15,000 feet, climbing to 16,000 feet where it circled before going on to the longer tracks. Eventually they headed off to Ostende and landed there at around 13:30.

Google Maps?

John Privett, That flight pattern is very similar to the flight patterns my brother-in-law described when they were on search missions in Bristol Beauforts over the sea in world war 2. However they would be flying at low level and they did not find much, but saw a lot of action with torpedoes, all described in a book on 217 squadron written by Roy Conyers Nesbit his commanding officer.

More light aircraft activity this weekend, had a couple of quite low flying light singles over yesterday afternoon and at least three this morning. No sign on the CAA website that the COVID-19 regulations on GA have been lifted, so I guess that they might have been some form of commercial flights or, as Peter said, engine tests?

That put me in mind of the scene in Battle of Britain when Michael Caine refuses permission to the bloke who played Hyacinth Bucket's neighbour for an instrument check flight.

The BBMF’s Spitfire and Hurricane circling before the fly past for Capt. Tom Moores’ 100th birthday. He lives at Marston Morteyne in Bedfordshire about 7 miles from here. No pics, sorry. I heard them at 8.20 and rushed out into the garden to see them go past. There was no time to get my phone which was on charge. Wonderful sight and sound, both very low.

Which is the best of all the various apps for this sort of stuff?

I have Flightradar 24 but it does not show all the military traffic we get over North Lincolnshire including American stuff.

Thanks

Maxg

Posted by MaxG on 01/05/2020 09:29:26:

Which is the best of all the various apps for this sort of stuff?

I have Flightradar 24 but it does not show all the military traffic we get over North Lincolnshire including American stuff.

Thanks

Maxg

I use 360Radar but you have to either subscribe or contribute.

I contribute so get access for free - just a usb stick to buy and setup in your PC or attached to a PI and left running to gather the aircraft data and feed it into the system. I bought a decent stick but did my own aerial from some satellite cable so it doesn't cost much to do or maintain - it could be done for £5 but worth spending a bit more on it.

Maxg, Free Planefinder will get you some traffic, but to get the D Day C3, RAF Hawks, Chinooks, Globemasters etc

Pay the £3 On you selected supplier and get what you see above.

Edited By Denis Watkins on 01/05/2020 09:38:28screenshot_2020-05-01-09-40-28.jpg

Edited By Denis Watkins on 01/05/2020 09:43:57

• 4 weeks later...

Around 2130 yesterday evening while watching swifts flying around our house I was surprised to see three paragliders approaching. They were at different heights and some distance apart but all three passed over us. No idea of their altitude but judging by their apparent relative sizes the first one seemed quite low. . As far as I could tell, there was no sign of any of them have any motive power. I couldn't help wondering if they might be infringing any ANOs. I live barely two miles from the centre of Leeds.

Malcolm

Edited By Malcolm Fisher on 29/05/2020 20:21:37

Yesterday we had a full-on display from a P51D Mustang pulling loops and with that amazing supercharger whine in the dives.

We get this a few times a year usually around bank holidays. I'm sure it's the same guy who used to do this with a Yak 55.

A.

Edited By Andy Stephenson on 30/05/2020 11:16:46

• 3 weeks later...

I live about 8 miles from Eastleigh airfield as it is properly called. Then they got delusions of grandeur and changed the name to 'Southampton International' (which from their traffic apparently meant the Costa Brava) even though it's not in the Southampton county authority. They also discouraged private light aircraft and most general aviation by raising landing fees to nonsense levels.

Then FlyBe went bust (before coronavirus) and that was 95% of their traffic. And the virus has since caused them to lose almost all the other 5%. And with both all their crazy priced car parking revenue.

So 'Southampton International' has been taught a well-deserved salutory lesson about 'hubris' and it's lovely and quiet too

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...