What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

3 hours ago, Andrew Calcutt said:

Yesterday at around 11.30 the Lancaster flew over our flying site,one of the lads had to land sharpish.It did two circuits over moira canal festival then disappeared.

Nice!

Just usual Typhoons and Hawks here. 

A 'spam can' broke our NOTAM last Sunday just before our record attempt - flew right over the strip at well below the 1000 feet we had.......

• 1 month later...

Usual Grob Perfect. Then 2 of them flew over the flying field, quite low, heading for the North Sea. And a blue, silver/white business jet that flew from Scarborough direction towards Bridlington, and did a full 360 turn over the field, before heading towards Bridlington. 

The Hawks and Typhoons have been quite active recently. The Typhoon that did the air display at Scarborough flew over our village on it's way to Scarborough - never seen one fly as slowly.

We seem to have lots and lots of Swifts, Swallows and House Martins this year, and there seem to be loads of birds of prey around as well.

Not many bats though.....

Edited by GrumpyGnome

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A little story about a Gemini pilot:

I was on Station Flight at St Mawgan in the Late 50s.  We dealt with visiting aircraft including the odd civilian ones.

Seeing civilian aircraft in and out was always popular as the pilots usually handed the ground crew a ten shilling note which was enough for a couple of seats in the camp cinema and a meal in the NAAFI afterward.
    One afternoon we were told that Group Captain Bader (Rtd)  was landing. I and one other lad were given the job of seeing his aircraft in.
    He landed his aircraft, a Miles Gemini, and parked it. He then climbed out to be welcomed by a Wing Commander.  Bader handed the Wing Commander his briefcase and said "Bader is the name." and they  departed.
    It was standard practice fr the ground crew to give any aircraft a quick once over and while I did so I  saw that the undercarriage oleo leg had come down and taken a small semicircular piece out of the brake drum. A sure sign of a heavy landing.

When Bader returned I said "Excuse me Sir but this aircraft has had a heavy landing."

"I don't do heavy landings!"

I said,"Well someone has done one, you can see where the oleo leg has hit the brake drum."

"No one flies this aircraft except myself!"

And with that he climbed int his aircraft and departed.

Of course we didn't get the ten bob note !

When I worked at Spanhoe airfield we had a Gemini based there. It had been obtained in a part exchange deal and was on the Belgian register (OO-RLD I think). Lovely old aircraft, flew in it quite a few times.

When I was 15, well against the run of form, I won the form prize at school, and the guest speaker at Speech Day who presented the prizes was Douglas Bader, so I got to shake the great man’s hand.

Like many very successful men he was quite brusque and arrogant, not quite as portrayed by Kenneth More.

29 minutes ago, MaxG said:

I saw that going the other way, lovely to see and hear. It was the different noise that caused me to go out to see what it was.

It was the sound that grabbed my attention, it was obviously a twin but unique to my ears. It was well past my house by the time I caught it on flightradar24. It is rare, there are only five or six airworthy examples of all types, so that could be the only Gemini 1A flying.

Steve