2. 4 Ghz Jammers

Why would anybody want to spend money in purchasing a jammer. It seems a pointless bit of kit.

I am also hopeful that there are very few people who are sufficiently unbalanced and malicious to even contemplate the use of such a device if one had been given to them.

Thanks Martin, at least we know a why, now.

Again within the context of the UK, I would hope that there are massive fines at least, perhaps hanging drawing and quartering as a back up. In this rather small, congested country, where many of us live cheek and jowl with neighbours both domestically and commercially, a jammer, with a modest range of 10 meters would cause havoc for many users of wi-fi devices.

They are illegal to use both here and in the US, link here Link , yet people make excuses to use them such as "protecting Wi-Fi when out". Why not just turn it off?

A lot of it is ridiculous fear of that eye in the sky or big brother watching through your connections, which is just plain daft. Some people buy them simply to play silly games and clog the neighbours Wi-Fi up or in an internet cafe.

It's a strange thing to fear; the big brother thing. They can't see you through Wi-Fi, everyone knows they can see you through the water taps. Ever wonder what that hole is in the sink? It isn't an overflow hole so you don't flood the house. . . It's watching you. face 23

Edited By John F on 20/05/2014 10:12:17

John

The concern with respect to various official bodies noting what people are doing is not without foundation.

Yes, there are some who have a exaggerated view of surveillance. Equally there are those with a naive view of the activities.

In my opinion I find it unacceptable for a Local Authority to engage in such activities. Yet they have been given some powers by parliament, and from time to time seek more. The reports that appear on television from time to time are not a figment of journalistic imagination, yet represent a fraction of the activities across the spectrum.

With respect to the use of these jammers, it does at first sight appear to be unjustifiable. The irony is, if you were being observed, the jammer going off, could be the switch for anybody observing, to take interest in any transmission.

My club had an issue last year which we think was yoofs with a jammer. I had left by the time this all kicked off so this is all as I heard it from other members who were present. At the end of the club bbq 4 models went in on 2.4, a group of said youths were spotted huddled behind a hedge at the far side of the field with some sort of hand-held device so some younger and fitter members headed off to investigate. Immediately yoofs jumped on scooters/mopeds and disappeared cross-country.

All models suffered a total loss of control and a couple were total losses, all went in within a very short time period and all had been flying fine previously.

This was reported to the police but without having the scrotes to hand or their IDs there wasn't much that could be done.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 20/05/2014 11:04:43

Being youths, they could have been up to many things, from, drinking, smoking substances and much more which I am totally ignorant, including Jammers.

I just hope that the devices are to expensive, need a inconvenient power supply to become a problem.

I guess the downside, as we prefer to fly where few, if any, live. On that supposition not many will be inconvenienced, as would happen on a housing estate. Which puts far greater pressures on the appropriate bodies to investigate and do something about the issue.