Danny's "poor mans Spitty"

Danny Fenton

I have been modelling for a while, well since the age of 7 really, started with the usual Keil Kraft stuff, and progressing onto diesel control line models. The family moved Stateside and I carried on my modelling building many of the Sterling control line models, Ringmasters mainly all sizes.

Back in the UK I played with RC for a while before drifting off to race indoor electric, the culmination racing for a Bristol club and partially sponsored by Bristol manufacturer "Sarik Vacform", in the Southern League. I progressed to 1/8 IC and was club Champion at mendip for a while. Good fun.

I eventualy got back into RC and messed around with a Gangster 52 and The Flair Scout models as well as the odd 60 sized Reeves Spitty. Once again life got in the way. But inevitably I returned to modelling only a few years ago and am really enjoying it.

Scale and detailing are the bits I love the most, though figuring out new ways to do things is also well up there as things I like.

I was asked to write a scale column for RCM&E two years ago and this has been really enjoyable. I am proud to be part of a great team, hopefully that will continue.

So what do I hope to get out of this 'ere Chippy build, well I am hoping to try some new planking techniques as well as have a crack at a full cockpit build which I haven't tried before. I am also going to try KlassKote which I have been meaning to do for a while.

But without doubt my main hope is that I can help a few others to tackle a scale subject and get it flying. It would be great to all get together at some point in the future and fly them in loose formation.

Okay which Chippy am I doing? Well I am doing the Silver and yellow banded example from Cosford as its close for me. I am however making one slight change. The serial number will be 8341M which was a Chippy I worked on when I was just 15

weathersfield 1976 chipmunk001.jpg

161113 chipmunk 8455 (large).jpg

I have the cnc wood kit, the cowl, canopy, wheels, motor and cells all ready to go. I am also the only one to have hinges so far but hopefully that is in hand.

so roll on October I say

Cheers

Danny

Got to subscribe to this as I will be following you.. What happened to the October start though?

Edit. Oops - sorry - just spotted your last comment. Camping at Aberystwyth with a wireless connection slower than a 9600 dial up

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 23/05/2014 17:15:20

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Danny,

Seeing the bio you have added at the start of the thread, it sent me back! I used to race 1/8 IC at mendip amongst other tracks, during the mid to late 80's. I used to see Roly Hamblin quite regularly, I remember very good times.

I am looking forward to starting the first build for possibly 15 years!

Regards

Alex

• 3 months later...

Barry from SLEC has come up trumps and my order of wood has arrived, well worth waiting for. Don't panic this wood is destined for more than just the Chippy so you wont need this much young Padawan!

I believe Barry was waiting for just the right log and cut all this from the one block it is lovely and light but still a lovely strength smile p and all identical.......

fresh from the mill.jpg

Getting close to snapping in a fresh number 11 blade smile p

Cheers

Danny

What else are you planning to build then Danny, a new shed?

I'm waiting to order mine from the Balsa Cabin. Just waiting for confirmation of pricing etc.

Oh, and I can't believe that you will, but I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a Dylan-special pair of instrument panels. wink

It's good to hear that you won't be going too fast on this one Master. smiley